Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wiring loom ideas experience or preference ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Getting ready to wire my 26 RPU and looking for ideas on wiring loom.
    I'm not using cloth wire and I will probably use lots of good quality zip ties like it or not !

I have a Rebel wiring 9 + 3 kit and I'm wondering what I can use for loom to cover and protect the wire on it's journey out to the various points on the car.

I don't like the usual cheap looking convoluted plastic split loom so, what are the alternatives and also what have you guys used as ways of mounting said loomed wiring so it's neat and functional ?

Bandit Billy and nochop like this.
  2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Split loom sucks....

54vicky and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

1934coupe, 54vicky and trollst like this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

How about this kind of stuff ?
    Supposedly a cloth loom ?
    m197i3nPy2ue6CyNGj3OIAQ.jpg

5. I have some like that for my 39 and I have used it in the past. It works very well, it just takes a little more planning to make a nice tidy setup, like poking holes in the loom for wires to pop out to go where they need without cutting the entire loom in half. It works great, doesn't come apart, and looks the part in an old car. Macs early ford also sells rols of black asphalt coated cotton loom like that works very well also.

54vicky, lothiandon1940 and Blue One like this.
  6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

7. Stooge

Stooge

I like the split cloth sleeving for the hidden areas, looks a lot better than the plastic corrugated split loom, not as nice as the cloth loom posted above, but is easy to go back and make changes to, or if you need wires to branch out from the loom. The adel cushion clamps work great, and i also like using these zip tie tabs that you tack weld to on and can zip tie the wiring to, used them a lot on my last truck to run wiring to the back down the frame https://www.motobilt.com/product/zip_tie_tabs
    mb2051-1.jpg

8. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

robracer1 and Petejoe like this.
  9. I used this in a couple of different sizes. Doesn't have the coloured tracer so it blends in better IMO. I am pretty sure I got it at George Moir. 20181016_111734.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bandit Billy and Blue One like this.
  10. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

robracer1 likes this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm a fan of zip ties only because I hate digging thru anything that does not allow me see the wires in plain view. Other than that I let the wires lay or run beside what ever it's against by choosing the most smoothest surface to run along. But where it's "journey" is to go thru something, I just add these into the mix.
    [​IMG]

olscrounger likes this.
  12. I like non-split vinyl tubing. Cleans easily, offers very good protection, and no tape glue to clean off if you have to come back later. Bit of a PITA to get the wire in, but worth the effort IMO...

Available multiple places as it's commonly used on motorcycles, but is used in automotive. These guys seem to have good prices and sizes.... http://www.riwire.com/ … under 'metal and non-metal conduit'.

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    I'm going to use this tar covered wrap where things are visible

brad2v, woodz, 1oldtimer and 3 others like this.
  14. A tip if using tywraps… Buy the ones with the metal catches, and rather than cutting the tails off, twist them off. Grip the tail with pliers right where it comes out and twist in one direction until it breaks off. You'll find they break off flush, so it doesn't leave any sharp edges to cut you up later. This usually won't work with the cheaper all-plastic ties or they'll fail later, hence the metal catches.

GeezersP15 likes this.
  15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the wrap with the tracer under hood-comes in various sizes-where it is hidden I use the tar wrapped one shown above. When running a group wires I use short pieces of shrink wrap (1/4-1/2 inch long) every few inches in lieu of zip ties-looks clean to me.-especially under dash etc. Under hood only ends of wires exposed-all the rest covered.

16. trollst

trollst

My 27, this is the look I like. DSC05738.JPG

firstinsteele likes this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That looks fine with a hood but without a hood I’ll be going with a much cleaner look.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  19. Kinda pricey...

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes but it looks like a nice product and you can get a master kit.

I gave up trying to count pennies on my RPU project a long time ago :D

For tie wraps I only use the ones with the metal retainer tab in them.

http://designengineering.com/easy-loom-master-kit/

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

All of that would be either behind the firewall or under the seat "if" it were mine. Also for such a basic vehicle there's way to much going on.

Cosmo49, olscrounger and Blue One like this.
  22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It appears your looking for acceptance more that suggestions per this reply. I simply say, Go For It!. :)

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not necessarily, I did a lot of looking for a few days including searches on the HAMB and elsewhere before I posted this thread earlier.

I just came across the split easy loom stuff earlier this evening.

I had a basic idea of what I would like for ease of installation and also for appearance and future access.
    So far this stuff is the closest I’ve seen to checking off most of my wants.

24. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Not that brand but I used same type of product on installing a DRO on my milling machine. Problem I had was it would want to pucker and open when bent, ended up with zip ties every 3" to keep it closed. Haven't had to get into it but now it's not quite easy access. I have been using the expandable braid tubing on various projects with good results and will probably try it on at least partial areas of the next car I do.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Cutting some zip ties is still easy access compared to cutting wires and trying to remove non split loom I’m thinking.

brad2v likes this.
  26. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought some Painless power braid, I haven't used it yet but it looks good in the box.

27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blue One--used alot of that type you show on several drag cars-worked out fine-was the painless brand. To finish the ends so they look nice we found some self vulcanizing tape that works well. On the 40's we do I use some of each type depending where it is-maybe overkill but most all wire is covered. Even use some loom under the dash in specific locations like the run from dr side to pass side across firewall--it is in a loom-don't want to look down thru the cowl vent and see wires of many colors.

Blue One likes this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looking at the painless classic split loom, it’s also nice and just as expensive as the other stuff.

29. Once again, no consus. Do it your way and be happy.

Ben

30. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Mc Master-Carr has all kinds of options for wire loom products. not cheep but good quality.