Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 Ford F100 rebuild need major help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quicksilver8907, Oct 1, 2018.

1. So my father in law bought a 1956 Ford F100 like 10 years ago with the hopes of restoring it. It didn’t run when he bought it but it came with a 223 inline 6 and a 2 speed ford-o-matic. He had the engine rebuilt but hasn’t done much of anything else. I am trying to help him finish it and now I’m working on finding a place to fix the transmission. My father in law had a friend try to fix it but all he did was disassemble it and then gave up. I Took it to a place today and they said that the transmission is junk and I should just try and find a different one maybe from a junkyard or something. I have tried calling around but no luck so far. Any suggestions on where to find an automatic transmissionto purchase for this? Ideally he wants something that can hit speeds to use on the freeway. Is such a transmisson possible with the inline 6. I’m not much of a car guy but I have always wanted to restore a car just not sure how to find what I Need. Please help

thanks

camer2, chryslerfan55 and fiftyv8 like this.
  2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You might try placing a want ad in the classifieds here, and on The Ford Barn also, if you are set on a 2 speed Fordomatic. You will probably get a whole herd of replacement suggestions also.

3. I really think he should get something with an overdrive, but it going to be a matter of what we can find. He rebuilt the engine already so we will have to try and match that. I may have opted for finding an engine transmission set but hey it’s not my truck lol. Anyways the local transmission shop said there isn’t much top speed difference between the 2 speed and 3 speed so overdrive is really all I can get to get it up to freeway speeds, if I’m not mistaken

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

The later years like 57 thru 60 from what I have read had a 3 speed top loader style manual tranny which could be optioned with an o/d but again it is old technology.
    Yes, you need something much newer with o/d for sure I have a 60 which had the 223 inline 6 and while it was kinder nice it became hard work after a while.
    I now run a V8 and o/d tranny.
    May I suggest the later model F100/150 inline six engines with a matching auto could be a possibility, probably cheap, not that hard to swap and being a matched engine and tranny less hassles over all.
    Otherwise for my type of swap a SBF or SBC with either and AOD or T700 tranny to match.
    Your other current impediment is your diff ratio which in my case was 3.89:1, I am now at 3.54:1 which is great if not hauling.

I feel your pain, but do walkaway from that 2 speed boat anchor.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Your thinking is correct, you will not see any change without an overdrive transmission, or a seperate overdrive unit. There may be a way to adapt an overdrive automatic to your 223, but I personally can't answer that. I will say that there will be people in the know, that will respond though, and this is a great place for information. Are you defintely tied to the 223, or could you put something a bit more powerful in it? Faster typer in action above.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    fiftyv8 likes this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Like was mentioned above, a 300ci 6 with an AOD trans would be a good setup, and that same trans would also work with a 289/302, or a 351 Windsor.

7. Well, what you have isn't a two-speed; it's actually a three speed, but only has two detents. In 'D', it starts out in second gear unless you floor it, if you pull it into 'L' you get first gear. Ford used this version until '57, then in '58 with a slight redesign it became the three-speed Cruisomatic, with yet another redesign it became the FMX. All used a detachable bellhousing and a cast-iron case. The FMX was used into the very early '80s before being replaced by the AOD (which was based on the FMX design too!). You MIGHT be able to find a later FMX trans that will bolt to your existing bell, but some careful measuring and parts matching will be needed. And you still won't have overdrive....

I believe there is an adaptor to use a newer trans behind the 223, but it will very likely prove cheaper to just pick up a later engine/trans as a unit. As mentioned, a AOD will offer overdrive. These were used from 1980 into the early '90s, Ford used them in pretty much everything at one time or another so it's a common trans.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

If your year F100 is similar to the later years like mine you will not have a tranny cross member as the old tranny cantilevers off the bell housing, so you will possibly need to include that in your thinking.
    They can be purchased after market and are not too difficult to install or make your own like I did.

Just make sure you speedo cable is not blocked with a new cross member.

Attached Files:

9. Thank you all for all your help. I will definitely try and get some pictures but it’s at my father in laws house so I can’t get them as easily.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. I have a 56 F100 with a 223 and a factory three speed overdrive. Its a pleasure to drive and will do freeway speeds. If I was your FIL, that's what I would look for. You will need the trans, column, pedals and all linkage and cables however.

11. This is what the interior looks like currently.

Attached Files:

12. What Chris said.... The OEM OD trans will do everything you want (plus deliver great fuel economy), the only hang-up will be acquiring the needed parts.

13. where are you located. I have a original 56 auto trans. I also have everything needed to convert to a standard shift and a staick shift overdrive trans. But I will not bother to ship that kind of stuff.

14. Right now your truck likely has 390 rear gears. look on the plate screwed to the body. it will tell the rear gear ratio. You could install a 57 nine inch rear and go to 325 rear gears if you manually shifted to low gear when starting out. And its a three speed trans. Drive in it works like the green drive in a crusomatic did.

15. Central CA

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I think that last driver should have kept his dust mask on...

17. I have been searching everywhere for a transmission for this truck of any kind. Leaning towards going with a standard at this point but I haven’t been able to locate anything. I must be searching for the wrong things or something. Anyone know where I could find one? Thanks for the help

18. junkman8888

junkman8888

You might want to expand your search a bit when looking for parts, the 223/manual transmission combination was used all the way up to 1964 in pickups and about as long in cars. I'd check with "Fordbarn" to make sure what parts will directly interchange. One option is to put out a "wanted 223 parts" post in the car parts section of your local "Craig's list", have done so in the past and had good luck.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Is the bellhousing bolt pattern strictly for the 6 on these?

20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

C4 adapter for a f100 with the mounting ears....a bolt in if you have a C4. The only thing you need is a yoke ...and of course the C4. It runs 800 bucks.
    Think how much it will cost to rebuild that basket case Ford-o matic?
    Mr. Mumment may be able to help you with that.

http://www.ford-y-block.com/C4 truck.htm

The C4 has no overdrive but it is a good unit. It's one of the most efficient automatics ever made. They can be built strong too.

These guys offer modified T5s for Ford Trucks
    http://transmission.moderndriveline.com/speed/pc/Ford-Solutions-c85.htm

The 3.03 Top Loader....

For 2 years 1963 and 64 Ford offered the flat plate top Toploader 3.03 behind the 223/262. This is one of the strongest LD 3 speeds ever made. It is a full syncro mesh.
    Now the 3.03 was produced well into the 70s and Jeep used them in the lates 70s in 4x4 cj5s as the t150.
    Also the Toploader 4 speed was through the same period and Jeep had a version of it as the t176.
    The toploader 3 and 4 speed share the same housing pattern.
    But.......
    Ford rebooted between the 64 and 65 Model Year.
    The 63-64 Toploader has the heavy input splines of the earlier transmissions.
    The 65 up input splines are finer.
    The 63-64 Ford 223 truck bell for a toploader may fit the later 3.03s and even t5s if not it can be drilled and tapped.
    I seem to remember that vehicles with 3.03s used bell housings with dual patterns to accept the 3.03 or the older manual 3 speed. that dates to 1950. It seems the overdrive vehicles still used the older manual through 64.
    What I'm getting at is the 63-4 223 truck bell should fit a toploader 3 or 4 speed ...maybe even a T5.

You'll need to cross that bridge when you come to it.....

I can tell you this....the manual combo is there and it's a bolt on but it's a freaking Rubix Cube, not only that it's a needle in a needle stack.

You need a Rosetta Stone to real all the Ford-o-glilphics.

Personally I would either find a Ford O Matic or use a C4 with one of Mumment's kits. That way there's no fooling around with all that clutch linkage plus the multiple points of interchange.

You also might try Wil Cap or Advanced Adapters...

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  22. junkman8888

junkman8888

A lot of people have given you great advice, but before you go any further be honest and ask yourself what exactly is this truck going to be used for. If it's going to be an "around town beater", occasional use, no long trips or highway time, just fix what needs to be fixed and enjoy. If the truck is going to be a "highway hauler", at a minimum you need disk brakes and a dual master cylinder, not to mention highway friendly rear-end gears and/or an overdrive. If a woman is going to drive the truck, it had damned-sure better have power steering and air conditioning. If you're going to haul a load or a trailer any distance, you need more power than a 223 can provide. If it's going to be a "daily driver", the suspension, steering and brakes need a complete and total upgrade. Don't cheat yourself by expecting more than what the vehicle can provide.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '55 F100 was found with no engine or transmission. Previously stolen, stripped of eng., trans, wheels, and tailgate.
    Corvette customer provided a 12K core engine with a flat cam, and I had a fresh powerglide trans I got in a VW labor trade.
    Rear end was a 9" 1960 Ford pickup, 3.54 ratio.
    Truck was a nice driver, later replaced automatic transmission with a 350 turbo hydramatic. (same driveline, new converter) Better driver, but engine RPM excessive at 70+ MPH freeway...
    20 years later, engine replaced with '89 Chev Vortek, converted to Edelbrock intake/650 CFM Edelbrock carb. Smooth with 3.0 rear end gear, still not 'ideal' for freeway: NEED an overdrive, plain and simple.
    The '70s are gone, the days of O.D/s and disk brakes are here.

24. Ok I exactly have what you are looking for. This is a 56 frame with a 223 engine & three speed trans. You will need 53 thru 56 parts because the pedals come up thru the floor. 57 & later have swing pedals. and the trans don't have a provision for the fulcrum ball. 56 ford truck three speed 001.JPG 56 ford truck three speed 002.JPG 56 ford truck three speed 003.JPG 56 ford truck three speed 004.JPG 56 ford truck three speed 005.JPG 56 ford truck three speed 006.JPG 56 ford truck three speed 008.JPG 56 ford truck three speed 007.JPG 56 ford truck three speed 007.JPG Notice the 56 trans pictured has the provision for the bracket to attach the clutch fulcrum ball. Ive got everything you need including the collum shift parts. You will have to arrange shipping. or maybe a HAMB relay. I would prefer you came in person and got the parts. I went and took these pictures today. I depressed the clutch and shifted the trans and turned the rear shaft it all still turns easy. A automatic for a truck requires a bellhousing with rear mounting ears. If your interested send me a PM.

25. Also the truck says that it has 3.73 rear end not sure if that changes anything. Also not sure if that was changed at any point.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. There is a company called Engine ship.com. I could crate the parts up on a pallet and possibly they would transport them?

27. Okay I’m looking into options. Will keep you posted.

28. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

I would find someone to rebuild the factory automatic, very few came in this configuration. If indeed
    it is original why not keep it that way, on the other hand if it is not I would have a 390FE and C-6
    in it by the weekend. Assload of motor is always appropriate. Keep it all Ford.

29. I was told by a Vintage ford transmission guy that it is not salvageable due to water damage.

30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Is there a chance your case is still good, and yours could be rebuilt with passenger car internals?

Quicksilver8907 likes this.