Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Kind of wondered what happened to the half second under the index runs.:confused:

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Congrats! I've been waiting to hear something about the Tri-Five Chevrolet's being allowed to run in Stock again. I don't belong to NHRA any longer, so I don't get National Dragster to stay up to date. Got any more pics? Are they allowing aluminum Powerglides, or are you bound to the old cast iron Powerglide? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Torkwrench and loudbang like this.
  3. Butch, 3 speeds are allowed in place of PG's now..Don't ask me why.
    Been about 6-7 years maybe. Most SBC's use the T 200.

4. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

Mark, the best the car had run before this weekend was 13.43 .37 under the index in real good air.The video shows it running 13.55.When I got to Indy and ran it over the NHRA scales, I had to add another 50 or so lbs. to make weight.Nhra lets us use the t 200 to keep pace with some of the things they allow the new COPOS,and Ford to run, like 9" Ford rear ends in Copos,and Powerglides in the Fords.Back in the day they let 1957 stockers have 4 speeds for a while and,and truck hydros in sedans,so they never have been totally correct.The t 350 I have in my car is only a $375. trans.Im sure a good p glide would cost more.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  5. Lyn, T350 ? 2.52 low? Boy, if ever a combo needed a T200, that's it.
    Also , the lack of gear is apparent in the video. Not even close to hanging it's tongue out on the back half.
    A bunch of ET in those two items. Of course, you knew that.;)

6. loudbang

loudbang

Early Fermier Bros

Fermier Bros-early.jpg

Friendly Chevrolet

friendly chevrolet.JPG

Note the wicked positive camber on that front tire
    front tire aquasco.jpg

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I'm not a Ford guy per-say but I do like special cars no matter what the brand and the early Fermier Bros fits that description. The pre muscle car large cars where the best of the best. Any of the 62/63 Ford, Chevy, Pont., Ply. Dodge full size cars where the coolest in my book. Of course I was around drag racing in that time.

Pat

Bowtie Coupe, Gammz, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. RidingMechanic

RidingMechanic
    from Cincinnati

Any chance you know where this was taken? I used to own an identical '68 R/T like the one on the right. I don't think there were many with that color combo.

9. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

If you enlarge the picture and drag it onto your desktop it displays the title, "Englishtown 1969_09."

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I thought the "3 speed automatics" were allowed for the 57 Chevrolet's only (speaking of the Tri-Five Chevrolet cars), due to the optional Turboglide first coming out for the 57 Chevrolet lineup. It was the 5 element torque converter and 2 planetary gearsets of the Turboglide that provide for 3 forward gear ratios, although there was no "shifting" involved (that description comes from my 1959 edition of Motors Manual) . Therefore NHRA permitted using more modern 3 speed automatics. I'm going to have to buy me a current NHRA rulebook!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

NHRA is allowing alot of things these days. I had thought someone should petition them to allow 4 speeds in the 57s again.

12. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

Next will be 14-71 Blowers to use as a defroster back up. NHRA has lost their way !

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  13. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

Tim, I'm pretty sure it is legal to use a 4 speed in any car that came with a 3 speed.My friend Jack Larsen has a 4 speed in his 302 Comet now,and Larry Nelson plans on putting a 4 speed in his 55.

loudbang likes this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

Well Holy Shit anything with a 4 speed??? The end is nigh :(

Grin & Bear it.

grin & bear it.JPG

grin & bear it 1.JPG

Hardluck vs Pankof FORD :)

hardluck vs pankof ford.JPG

15. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Thanks Lyn, I know James Lee told me he can run a 4 speed in his 55 Super Stock but I was not sure about the Stock cars.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Yep... A couple years after the 3 speed auto was allowed, the stick guys said whoa, how about us? As usual, NHRA didn't think that one through. Opened up a few possibilities if you've got a big pile of money to burn.
    1960 Starliner, 352/ 360, 63 Max Wedge cars, 1964 Catalina with the 389 /235 AFB combo.
    My current favorite though...57 Nomad, 283 /245 for N/Stock...and it doesn't need a roll bar. Anybody want to lend me one for a few years?

17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Mark I don't know how to answer this only to state my opinion. I am not arguing with you, I am stating a fact. I restored my MG with my brother and run it legally. We had to slow the car down because we decided not to put a roll cage in it. The track required a drivers suit (pants and jacket), gloves, wrist restraints, fuel shut off (fuel injected) not to mention every 2 years harness. We run our car maybe 3 times a year. This year once. I'm thinking of getting a 57 Chevy stocker, driving to the track take off the hub caps (if I have them) and running the car and have some fun. I don't know where the sport is headed but I would like to drag race every once in a while but the cost is getting out of control.

Pat

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  18. Pat, Not sure where we disagree. M/S Automatic and faster requires a roll bar, belts, pants and jacket, plus all convertibles in Stock.That's a 12.85 sea level index. Well in the 13's at altitude..Whereas bracket cars with a steel roof can go 11.50 with none of the above.
    But wait...If you have a pure stocker like a Hellcat or something, you can run in the nines with NO roll bar!
    Just more inconsistent NHRA BS.

BTW, a 57 283 single 4 bbl. runs O/SA ..No bar required.

Bowtie Coupe, 1934coupe and loudbang like this.
  19. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Mark we don't disagree, it is somewhat inconsistant with the rules and I wonder if it is the insurance industry that is behind most of this. Pants and Jacket in M/S it is getting a bit over the top. My next car will be a O/SA 57 Chevy.

Pat

20. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Tom and Mark:
    I agree with you both that the costs are to racing are getting crazy and that the NHRA has made many stupid rules over the years that really don't make much sense to some of us.

Jimbo

21. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

The cost has been out of hand for years ! The last two NHRA National events I entered in 1978 only cost me $40 for car, driver, and one crew member for each one. The sports Nationals in Bowling Green Kentucky and The Gatornationals in Fla. when I ran a SS/IA 1968 Camaro. Car ran 10.90's with a home built $6000 engine in 1978 ! I got class runner up to Phil Hardee at Bowling Green. He had me by about a bumper bolt.
    Problem is now a decent 1957 Chevy will cost you more than one of these computer controlled S**T boxes they sell new these days.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  22. loudbang

loudbang

LaVerne & Benner
    EDIT: From Terry Bell and Junior Stock It is Just LaVerne Benner one man. ;)

LaVerne Benner1.JPG

LaVerne Benner2.JPG

LaVerne Benner3.JPG

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  23. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

loudbang, Chuck Norton and Tom 57 150 like this.
  24. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yes LaVerne Benner is his name.

25. loudbang

loudbang

Smart Alicks :) Fixed it.

1947knuck, enloe and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Dang!!! I thought a "Boy Named Sue" pretty much told the story. I've got one of "those names" too, but not quite as bad as "one of those names", La Verne? Why do parents do this to their children??? So, I go by, I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

27. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

LOL........Just trying to help.

loudbang likes this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

Occasional husband Henry Dana

Occasional hunband Henry Dana 1 xx.JPG

Occasional hunband Henry Dana.JPG

29. loudbang

loudbang

Some FORDS from the Corvette nut Bangkok Dean :)

bkk (1).jpg

bkk (2).jpg

30. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

At one point in time Shirley was a legit name for males in the south. How would you like to go through life thus named ?

loudbang likes this.