Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ever bought a project thinking this will be easy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 14, 2018.

1. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Don't ever have two going at the same time parked next to each other, the mojo will jump back and forth between the two..

Tim, bobss396, Mr48chev and 2 others like this.
  2. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Every single time! And sometimes it is! I get lucky every once in awhile. My '57 F100 for example, started up after 40 years of sitting after I installed plugs, changed oil, and added a pertronix ignition system. Pretty lucky!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Everything I've owned was a project except for the 1912 T Touring, it was restored 3 months before I was born, we both are starting to show our age. Bob

4. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Oh yeah. The most recent one was a long term project done by a known car guy with a reputation for perfection. It looked amazing. I spent about two years to get it all sorted out.

Atwater Mike and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I have had many cars and bikes and have totally screwed the pooch on every money and time estimate I have ever came up with. Its the main reason I'm not allowed to have the check book! :rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I´m guilty. But most of the times I knew I bought a lot more work than I was telling everybody, including myself
    hahahaha
    But I have to admit, until now I pulled them all through... I suck in giving up.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Looking at your avatar it appears there is something odd going on with you and that engine. :D HRP

Sky Six and Johnny Gee like this.
  8. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Yep. Here's an example of how dumb I can be: Last year I attended a swap meet and found a decent dragster chassis. It had been a T/F car back in the day, and although it was a touch neglected from sitting outside, it was complete, minus engine and drive setup, it had plates for a Hemi or BB Ford. I spoke to the seller, got a good price and was bargaining for what it came with when my wife showed up. I explained how easy this would be to restore once I traced the history. I was sure it was some heavy hitter car back in the day. My wife asked, "Where are you going to put it? It's too long for our garage" Hmm, never though of that...I was actually convincing my wife I needed this piece of yard art to make a cackle car, when reality came home to roost. The car, although complete, was a rear engine car! So even if I could find and build a correct fuel Hemi (which I couldn't) and whatever clutch and trans setup it ran (Lenco 2 speed probably), who gives a crap about a generic, also ran 1974 RED? So if I were really frugal, I could probably build it for $30,000 and then what? Darn women...

bchctybob and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

OH, that was a cold shot HRP...true, but cold.;)

10. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I guess there is no way “hoseing down” the new engine is going to sound good.

11. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Me....baby a tune up and it will be great, not more than $50. She comes out in the shop and says, ah, why you pulling the motor. Crap

12. You are too funny! :D HRP

13. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Never.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. I thought my latest project would be up and running within a couple of weeks, it sure fooled me. :rolleyes: HRP

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I figured changing from a sbc to a sbf in my Linc would be simple, pretty much the same size, weight, etc. Wrong. Damn thing has fought me every step of the way, mounts in wrong place, trans too big to slide back as far as I wanted, exhaust hitting steering box, radiator wrong, you name it. What should have been a couple of weeks work has stretched out to nearly two years, and it ain’t done yet....

Atwater Mike and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

I had plans and gathered the parts to build a '33 Ford pu. Along comes a '33 pu on the local Craigslist with all the body mods I was planning to do to mine; chopped, channeled and bed shortened. The price was OK, it was an old hot rod basket case with local history, but the parts were strewn all over his shop. It was licensed and on Non-op. Once I put it together I found the top chop was tapered a half inch - backwards! and it was not level side to side, the channel job had the cab tilted forward leaving a big tapered gap between the bed and the back of the cab and tilted to the driver's side. So I re-chopped it and re-channeled it making my easy build into an expensive detour.
    I've been fortunate that it's only happened once or twice over the years. (but mostly since I've been old enough to know better?!?!)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

zookeeper, i did the same thing. early fed no motor, setup for 440 mopar. just so happen to have a rebuilt 440, no problem. that was 14 years ago. still have it sitting on the trailer. oh well.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Yup, ten years ago. I just got it finished,, piece of cake.:rolleyes:

Chavezk21 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My OT 77 dualie is a prime example of that and it wasn't even bought as a project. Mostly I have been undoing and repairing the half ass'ed work that a series of construction workers did on it .. Being under the bed of a truck with a trailer hooked on the back of it trying to sort out light that were all wired with three strand yellow construction extension cord while holding a flashlight and test light isn't fun. Finding out that there was a big case Ford alternator jury rigged onto a 454 Chevy when it wouldn't keep the battery charged was interesting too.

My little "some assembly required" boat tail roadster is becoming more of a challenge than I had planned. The frame I rescued from some guy who wanted to build a rat rod is out of square and has to be addressed. Most of it should go pretty fast as I already have most everything I need for it outside of a real spendy set of skinny 18 inch tires.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Bechtel 56

Bechtel 56

Always at least 3 times the cash you think you're going to spend and 5 times as long the 3/5 RULE

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

For Some Reason/Surprise/Problem, It's Never Easy ! I have never done a 5 minute job in 5 minutes ever, Now at this time in my life it seems to be worse/tougher than ever, age, physical limitations, diminished brain power, all adds up to many swear words from frustration and my favorite phrase seems to be "why is everything a F story" sometimes instead of 5 minutes, its can take days. Example, recently the alternator died in my 51 Merc, had a Speedway chrome 1wire, purchased a PowerMaster chrome 1 wire ( higher amp output), looked the same, mounting slightly different, need to clock it, just different enough that belt length slightly different. Easy-Peasy right ? When I changed engines, I purchased Allen Grove brackets, AC, Alt, PS, could not use AG PS bracket due to stock Merc cross member in front (clearance problem) So........... I go to work and modify the GM pump stock mounting Brackets, use a 3 groove crank pulley, all is well, looks good, works good, built all this with new engine in car, the radiator out. Back to belt length difference, can't get a socket or wrench to loosen PS pump to change belt length or belt without taking radiator out, my fault, my work/design did not see for see the problem, WTF, I let it rest a day, thought about it and figured out I could get one of my small air grinders into problem area where I needed some clearance for belt clearance to use belt I had, now all is good to go, back on road. A small project like changing the alternator turned into a multiple day project for me. Am I the only one that is thinking, working on these old cars is not much fun anymore ? Bechtel 56, 3/5 rule is pretty close

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. aircap

aircap

In answer to the OP's question - yes, and it's not just automotive projects. I just don't know how to say NO.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. gene-koning

gene-koning

I always figured that if it would be easy, someone else would have already been doing it.
    Most of my projects have been things other people were smart enough to bail on, or not even start on. I tend not to assume something is going to be easy or cheap. Even then, several projects have proven to be more difficult then expected. Gene

HOTRODPRIMER and wicarnut like this.
  24. jcwalker215

jcwalker215
    from Horsham PA

If it was easy anybody could do it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

Everytime... in the middle of 2 now....haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. mrchewie

mrchewie

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. oh my, Murphy was an optimist for sure!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Have Never Bought A Project Thinking It Would Be Easy And Karma Abides... DSCN1314.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. How is the truck coming along? HRP