Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 5 spd from chevy truck ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockin rebel, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Hey out there. I am going to use a 350/ 5spd from a 92 Chevy 1/2 ton,. but I do have an s-10 one and a Camaro one also. 5 speed trans I mean...I have heard the truck one is weak, but I wont be banging shifts at my age.. the 350 and truck 5 speed , is all together so I can just drop it in.. what do you know about these 5 speeds ? thanks

2. raven

raven

I would imagine that depending on your driving style that it would be a good setup. I’ve broken T-5’s from Cameros with a mild 350.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I have a 91 350 5spd 2wd with 300k miles has pulled trailers, been over loaded ect, trans still seems ok

treb11 likes this.
  4. evintho

evintho

T5 should be fine. Not sure of the gear ratios between the truck and Camaro trans but one shouldn't be too far off from the other. Check the mother of all T5 post on here somewhere.

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

My dear old mammy used to call it "Cam-air-a", I always got a chuckle out of that. :D Has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but thanks for the memory....
    OP, different shifter locations might be a concern on those 5-speeds. May wanna (want to) check. :eek:

6. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

The truck transmissions are as strong or stronger than the T-5s. I'll leave gear set, clutch setup, and all the other nuances up to the rest of the crew. Spelling of "nuances" has been verified.:)

raven and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

The NV 3500 trans came in close and wide ratios 4.02 and 3.49 low gears. Unless the car is heavy you most likely won't use low in the wide ratio trans. standard 3500 were rated at 300 foot pounds the HD units at 350. These trans are almost impossible to work on with out the right tools.

junk yard kid likes this.
  8. well thanks folks.. good to know about the truck trans. I will use it after I check shifter positions

9. 52HardTop

52HardTop

It's been said that the Camaro T-5 has the better gears for the car. The shifter is in a bad place though. If it's going into the 54 in your image, the Camaro shifter will be under the seat. You do have a truck tranny, so, others have used the car tranny with the truck tail section and that put the shifter in front of the seat. I have the S-10 T-5 behind a warmed over 235 in my 52. The gears are a little low in 1st but it works fine for me.