Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My new Banger, part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodz, Nov 4, 2012.

1. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well, I got my rear window in today. I ve had this sticker sitting on my desk staring at me for the last five months waiting to go on the car. Finally have a place to stick it :)

120mm and bct like this.
  2. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got my windshield in today. I am celebrating the small victories these days, not much time to work on the car right now. Working six days a week.

kidcampbell71, 120mm and tinsled like this.
  3. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got my 36 axel in with 32 spindles and installed a 32 rad and grill. IMG_4997.jpg

4. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought I would share a bit of my little winter project that I have been working on the last few months. I got an idea stuck in my head just after Christmas and decided to see if I was able to make it work. Keep in mind that I have no grand illusions that this is going to add any real horse power to this stock banger. It was just a fun project that I want to tackle.
    So I removed the stock intake and exhaust and used some 1/2 plate I had and marked out the intake and exhaust holes and drilled them a hole saw.
    IMG_5743.JPG

kidcampbell71 and Dannerr like this.
  6. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The idea was to make my own header and intake manifold and use two side draft carbs and have some cool velocity stacks sticking through the hood side. I know its not traditional as anything that someone ever did back in the day but I wanted to try it and do it on the cheap as I didn't want to sink a ton of cash into a project that probably wont be on the car more than a year. I went on the hunt for a couple of Zenith side drafts from early tractors, but they are incredibly expensive to purchase. So I had a set of vintage motorcycle side draft carbs that I decided to use instead, they were free, so they fit the budget.
    I wanted twin exhaust pipes, running right from the headers, along the same path as the stock exhaust and exiting in the stock location.
    So I bought some pre bent 1.5" primary exhaust tubing and started to mock it up. IMG_5744.JPG IMG_5754.JPG IMG_5778.JPG

kidcampbell71, 120mm, clunker and 2 others like this.
  7. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't take a ton of pics while I was doing this. So here it is with the headers done and the intake built with the carbs mounted.
    I also added a "speed" cap to the stock distributor and some cloth covered wires to give it a more "racey" feel HAHAHA.
    I didn't want to use a cable for the throttle linkage so I used the stock gas pedal and linkage hooked to a bell crank that I made and up to the carbs. It worked really well and I like the mechanical look and feel of it. IMG_5854.JPG IMG_5855.JPG

8. Looks great!! I love Tudors
    Where are the plug wires from? I need to replace the ugly modern ones on my car.
    You may not want to keep the headers wrapped. Initially I had mine wrapped on my speedster, the car never warmed up enough. It was a cold blooded bitch! Model A's like a bit of heat in the intake to help aspirate the fuel look at the way your stock intake mates to the exhaust. After removing the wrap it was better, she's still slow to warm up and pops and snorts.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  9. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

How does it run with those carbs? What are they off? Rejetting or run as is?
    NielsK

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys.
    Tiny, the wires are just bulk Primary wire I got from the Old Car Center in B.C. as well as the ends and then I cut them to length and crimped the ends on. Works slick, and cuts out enough of the RFI that was coming from the stock copper wires that I can now use my remote for my garage door with the engine running :)
    Nielsk, it runs like a top! These carbs have a throttle valve as well as the sliders. So I can open the throttle WOT and the sliders will only open as much air is flowing so it is harder to over carb it. So far I have only driven it around the block a few times, but it really opened it up.

12. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wanted to put some velocity stacks on it to add to the "racey" look. In the interest of not spending too much money, a friend of mine took some stainless steel tubing and belled the one end and opened the other to fit over the mouth of the carb. I then drilled and taped the bottom for a set screw to hold them in place.
    These carbs are Mikuni BS off of a vintage 750XS Yamaha- Not old enough for here :( Sorry. If the carbs are an issue, I will take these posts down if needed. I wanted to use older carbs, but these were free. I have not done any jetting on them yet, just balanced them and set the idle mixture. So far so good, but I haven't driven it far. The weather here has been horrible! IMG_5915.JPG

Jet96, 120mm, slv63 and 2 others like this.
  13. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So with the velocity stacks on, there was no way a hood side was going to fit over and close without some modifications. So I had to decide between running without hood sides, or making something. After removing the hood side, I decided that there needed to be something on there. Something about my A sedan without the hood side just made the car look too long to me.
    I found a good hood side for $20 and started to lay out the plan. I took some 3/8" round stock that I had and bent it into an oval. Then I measured it all up and cut a corresponding hole. I them made a wooden "buck" to matched the curves of the stock louvers and went to town shaping them the best I could. I think it turned out okay. Hoping to get it into paint in the next few weeks.
    IMG_5929.JPG IMG_5930.JPG
    You may notice that the oval is set back a bit. I did that so I could reach in through the hood side and apply the choke. But I think I should have evened it out a bit more by just making the oval a bit longer. Oh well, this is how she will be for now.

14. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Thanks for the answer. I asked because I saw it was CV carbs. I done the same trick earlier with 1.5" SU's. Right now I'm messing around with a pair of Zenith's. But would like to go back to CV's again. Your set up looks "killer" I like it a lot

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr likes this.
  15. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Niels. SU are fantastic carbs, I thought about using them, but I couldn't find any. These were sitting in my garage and free so that's the way I went.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

17. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_5958.JPG This is how the tailpipes ended up. I wanted twin pipes exiting exactly how the factory ones were. I am happy with the look of it.
    A couple weeks ago I got a line on an original "B" Police head for the car. IMG_5960.JPG I got it for really cheap. Of course there is always a reason things are cheap. I knew when i bought it so I knew what I was getting.

IMG_5959.JPG You can see where someone has ground out the crack in it to try and repair it. As well, there are a few crappy cold welds that someone tried to do.
    I have a friend that has the skills to repair this for me, so he will be going to work on it soon.
    Hoping it works out so I can use it and give this thing a bit more kick ;) LOL.
    Even if it is not useable, I got it so cheap, it will still make killer wall art.

kidcampbell71 and Dannerr like this.
  18. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I got a chance to drive the car yesterday to a local show and put a few miles on it.
    The carbs work perfectly.
    Definitely opened it up.
    And I love the sound of the two carbs sucking in air as I open her up.

Dannerr likes this.
  19. Very cool. I like the way you handled the hood sides, nice work.

20. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for the compliment.
    I think if I had to do it again I would have used a thinner round stock. I think it is a little too thick and takes away from the velocity stacks. I used a 3/8" but 1/4" may have made it look less bulky.

Dannerr likes this.
  21. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just came across this thread, you do great work and I love your car especially the hood side. Very slick!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you. Been driving the hell out of it every chance I get. Running strong.
    The "B" Police head isn't going to work out. It cracked in a new place when grinding out the welds. The head is Still cool wall art for the garage.
    I just realized that I need to fix all the other pics in this thread from earlier.

Dannerr and junk yard kid like this.
  23. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Really like how you set your intake and headers up. Very nice!! Did you have any pics of your intake? Planning on
    doing a set up with SUs. Thanks for sharing your build and it is great your son had a active part. Great Job!!!

24. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the compliment.
    What pics of the intake would you like?
    I can take any angle for you and post them.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Thanks .. Did you have any before mounting? The ones you have already posted will be fine.. And thanks again..

26. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did but I must have deleted them.
    Here are a few pics I just took for someone else that was also asking about it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The engine is no longer in the car.
    I went a different route with the Tudor this last winter. Still banger, just a bit different.
    This drivetrain is now waiting for the start of a Turtle deck T project that I am planning.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

barrnone50 and Dannerr like this.
  27. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

I went back after I posted a while back and you posted more pics of the Carb set up.. Thanks I really want to
    try and add some or one SU and see if I can make it happen.. Thanks for the for the pics. Oh and what did you
    change on the Tudor??