Register now to get rid of these ads!

History My First H.A.M.B. Deal!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CudaChick1968, Oct 15, 2018.

1. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

I just had to give a quick shout out to @donald turpenen for a great deal on a cool little Bonneville patch from 1976.

It was the same year my family embarked on the first trip from northwest Illinois to California when my dad asked if we wanted to see the salt flats. My brother and mom were more interested in getting to Disneyland but my vote made it two against two ... and dad was driving. (He also took us to The World's Largest Ball of Twine so maybe they were just paranoid. :D)

Anyway, this cool patch from D.T. will supplement a fantastic memory and the amazing speed history that helped mold me into the motorhead I am today and will be treasured.

Thanks Mr. Turpenen! It was well packed and promptly shipped. I am happy with my purchase.

I look forward to working with (and for) more of you guys in the future.
    << curtsey >>

Leanna ~ The CudaChick
    http://phoenixspecialtycoatings.com
    20181015_140855.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

3. Great backstory. :D
    Score me as a "yes" vote on the dad poll.

4. Should have a space. @donald turpenen
    You can go to his profile page and click "Trading Stats" and leave feedback there....

5. Hurray for DT making the hamb great again!

6. Fordors

Fordors

Leanna, I checked out the website, nice work! Are there any plans for the future to do ceramic coating on headers/exhaust?

7. F&J

F&J

Me likey odd humor.:cool:

chryslerfan55 and CudaChick1968 like this.
  8. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

Thank you!!! :D I love my job and highly appreciate you checking it out.

I actually got OUT of high temp ceramic exhaust coatings a few years ago. My shop is in the sticks and shipping costs back and forth were just too prohibitive for my customers, especially cast iron and long-tubes. As timing would have it, I just answered a message about that very thing; though off topic for my thread I can paste it here for you.

"Hey Bill! I appreciate the opportunity to earn your business of course ... but what you really want is high temp ceramic coating rather than any powder.

If you have the means to blast, wash and dry them, and own (or buy for $18 on ebay) an HVLP gun with a .08 tip, you can do it yourself.

The only thing pricey about ceramics is the material itself. A little bit goes a VERY long way. The only one I'm familiar with that required tumbling was the chrome replica. The other colors dry to the touch in 30-45 minutes, and continue to cure in the open air over the next five days ... whether still hanging on wires, laying on the shop floor or installed in your car.

I recommend checking with your local car (and tractor) friends and see who else wants their headers and manifolds done too. Prep them all and spray everything at once, and split the cost of the quart between you. For about $150 you can get 10-15+ sets done (long, short, slip fit etc.) ... whereas sending them off somewhere is going to be $350-500 plus shipping for ONE SET. It can even be a profitable side biz if you live in a metro area and few others do it.

Click on the Cerakote High Temp tab ... this is the best there is.
    NICIndustries.com"

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. F&J

F&J

I did go to that site, but have two questions.. One is "will it stick, and hold up, on brass" Meaning my header runners and flanges were once on a late 1950s airport drags car, and the guy brazed those parts together.

My steel runners & head flanges get rusty with the cast iron colored Hi Temp paint, as it is a daily driver that gets rain and some salt. Worse yet, mice sit on the collector long pipe and pee, and then are stained permanent :(
    DSCN0668.JPG

2nd question ...it's called ceramic, but this product says "air dry". Can it hold up like baked-on ceramics?? Thanks.

10. whew.....Barracuda......one of my Cudas's is HAMB friendly.....and my Val gal of course....

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and CudaChick1968 like this.
  11. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

F&J, I have powder coated brass with success but have never tried it with ceramic. I assume if the prep is done well (scuffed or preferably blasted) and the surface is clean and dry with no oily residue, it should adhere fine and last for years. Maybe someone with more experience on exhaust coatings can chime in.

It basically DOES get baked, and gets stronger with heat. Just fire up your engine.

chryslerfan55, F&J and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

Cool!!! Another rebel! I've had mine over 27 years. It might be HAMB friendly in a couple decades lol ...

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

very cool, good score!!

CudaChick1968 and chryslerfan55 like this.