Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barrows Coupe aka “FIRST BORN” 1930 Model A (1970’s build )

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mikel50, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Mikel50

Mikel50

The day started out as just a day I was heading up to my buddy Mike Bowling’s house to purchase some parts for a TROG build for 2019.
    Before finalizing the deal for the parts Mike asked if Alli and I had some time to go visit some local “collectors” in his neck of the woods.
    We did and off we went... in the later part of the day on our way back to Mikes from the first stop at Ricky’s hotrod and motorcycle shop/museum we tried another local guys house.
    This is when I met Brad.
    He was preoccupied with a gentleman looking at a car he had for sale.

Mike B gave me the nickel tour through the back shop to see some of his current projects, drivers and shelves upon shelves of highly sought after hotrod parts.

This place was Hotrod Heaven !!
    If these walls could talk ...
    Brad freed up and we got to talk more about his cars and things he had accomplished throughout his life namely the cars he had built.

Then Mike said “ let’s go see inside the Big building”
    Soon as I walked in I laid eye on this 30 coupe that was sitting lower than every other car. Covered in dust from sitting for years, things piled up on its roof ... we took the tour.
    It was tucked in between a 39 Chrysler New Yorker (I think) and a project 32 Ford Truck.
    It was cool ... like crazy cool.
    We talked about all the different cars and the major ins and outs of each one.

After about an hour inside the old barn we were walking out and I asked him to tell me about that Black Coupe
    I had walked over to it several times just taking it all in. There was so much to look at.

He said that was the first car he ever built ... it’s what started it all.
    His “First Born”.
    After learning about the car we headed out and I asked ... “ would you ever think of selling that 30 Coupe?”

He said “Yeah, I’d sell it”

We left shortly after that headed back to Mikes place for some Choco Tacos and to talk about the day.

Man I all I could do was think and talk about that coupe ... I lost many hours of sleep over the next few nights concocting a plan to buy the car.

I just didn’t know how I would make it happen.

It was going to take a damn miracle...

(The car as it sat when I first saw it.)

..... IMG_1788.JPG
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

....To be continued.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Whoa

Mikel50 and F&J like this.
  3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Sounds like the plot thickens....

Mikel50 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Mother xxxxxx! That's beautiful. Hope it happens for you.

Mikel50 and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. 383stroker

383stroker
    from Roscoe, SD

Mikel50 likes this.
  6. WOW! Great old hot rod. Hope you can work out a deal. I would love to own that car:)

Mikel50 likes this.
  7. Mikel50

Mikel50

After a few days had passed I reached back out to Mike B and said I need Brads number, I need to call him about That Coupe !
    I had no money and no clue how I was going to pull it off but I wanted to play the hand I had been dealt.
    I kept telling myself if I don’t ask I’ll never know, if I don’t call him I’ll always wish I had.
    I had nothing to lose except my pride.

I did what any of us would have done ... Called Brad.
    I reminded him of who I was and the reason for my call.
    We talked on the phone about the car and our short conversation about selling the car.
    I jokingly asked him if he would take payments on the car as we walked out the door of his old barn the day we met.

I wasn’t joking however, it would be the only way.

I asked him to think about the possibility of allowing me to pay over the course of 3-4 months to pay for the car.
    I gave him every good reason why I wanted it and how I would keep it as found.
    (This is my SNOOPY)

I said to him,
    “It ultimately comes down to, wether you are willing to help out a younger hot rodder.”

He laughed and said I sounded just like him when he was younger... “ call me back tomorrow, I need to think about it.”

There was no good time to make this call the following day ... my night and that whole next day consisted of all the reasons why he wouldn’t or shouldn’t sell me the car.

He didn’t know me, we only met the other day and here I am asking this gentleman to buy the first car he ever built and to pay in installments over several months.

So I figured I’d call him in the same spot I sat the previous day during our conversation.

I guess it’s my lucky spot ... He said Yes !

Except I had 1/3rd the time I had hoped to come up with the cash.
    He was leaving to head south for the winter and if I wanted the car I had to have it paid in full before he left.

Well there were a few hurdles.
    Here it was Thursday, I was leaving town Sunday am on a 10 day vacation with my kids.
    The only money I had was spending cash for our vacation.
    I said I’d be there Saturday with a cash deposit.... you see where this is going.

Saturday morning I made the trip up to Brads to give him a deposit and seal the deal with a handshake.
    It was done, he said “ go see your new car.”

I Walked out with a with a huge smile and the reality of what just took place.
    Grabbed my camera a snapped a handful of pictures to look at on vacation and off I went.
    The vacation I was going on on Sunday, that I had just spent the money I had for on a hotrod !!

Only live once they say !

This is a picture of the car as it was originally built in the late 70’s with the custom homemade teardrop trailer he built to tow behind the car.

[​IMG]

I left for vacation with a hand full of pictures, credit cards, no plan as how I was going to pay for the coupe and a cloudy memory as to all the specifics of the car and the changes he made over the years.

But it was mine ... meanwhile Mike B had been home waiting to hear from me as to the verdict.

It’s a strange feeling telling your good buddy “He said Yes”.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  8. 63Compact

63Compact

You cant stop there keep going

bantam, loudbang and Mikel50 like this.
  9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

congrats on the new born... does the family blame mike ?? … poor guy !
    was that pic with the tag-along trailer in front of livestock sheds taken at downeast street rods club's run at Cumberland fairgrounds ? ...1985 to 2000 ….

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  10. Pete

Pete

I remember the first time I saw this car, Brad was towing his teardrop camper to the Road Angents show, can’t remember which year exactly.... he pulled in to show and everybody flocked to the car. Super low and super cool!

Congrats Mike, can’t to cruise to some shows with ya.

oj, F&J, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. Mikel50

Mikel50

I’m unaware of the date and place the pic was taken.
    I’ll ask Brad when I speak to him next, if he remembers.
    Brad put some serious miles on the car in its hay day thats for certain
    The yellow paint was early on in its life. (Original color.)
    He didn’t think the yellow paint on the car looked like a hotrod so he changed it to matte black.

I’m not a yellow paint kinda guy but man it looks cool as all hell.

catdad49, loudbang, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  12. Mikel50

Mikel50

Thanks brotha !!
    Road Agents show was 1999. That’s when he drove the car down.
    I stumbled across some old pics online and found this one of the car.

He talks about that show each time we speak.
    Sounded like a blast for sure
    [​IMG]

13. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Well Mike, the cat is out of the bag now! Congratulations on a wicked cool coupe. I remember going into his barn during last year's Strokers cookout at his place. That coupe stood out amongst many other cool cars in there. I had to bend WAY down to see inside, Brad said " open it up". Even the interior light worked when I opened the door. He keeps up on all his stuff, good deal all around bud. Can't wait to see it next week!

Sent from my E6810 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Congrats Mike. That is a wicked little hot rod. Enjoy.:)

15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a real neat “A” bone. Can’t wait to see some detail pics of her.

loudbang, Stogy and Mikel50 like this.
  16. Mikel50

Mikel50

The few days prior to me leaving on vacation I posted damn near everything I owned for sale in hopes to drum up some cash for the coupe. After I returned home from vacation I had some good bites on a few of the larger items I’d posted up for sale.
    Called brad and said I’m coming up with the first payment ...
    that was really the first time I got to sit with Brad and get some history of the car.

It was 1978 and he was living on his boat in Beverly harbor, that he had sailed up from Florida. He had picked up a hotrod mag to read on the boat and shortly afterwards decided he wanted to build a hotrod.
    He said all he had for tools were inside a small rusty old toolbox he kept on the boat.
    He said he knew of an old coupe body in Amesbury, Mass.
    He paid $50 for the untouched body and frame rails.
    He had the start of his hotrod, now he needed to find a place to start working on it.
    He found an apartment building not far from where he was living on his boat. It had an unused 2 car garage tucked outback behind the building.
    He found out who owned the building and worked out a deal for $25 per month for rent.
    He said he had to run an extension cord out the window of the building to have lights and power for tools
    He laughed and said “ every time it would rain the garage would flood so he would take his shoes and socks off, roll up his pants and work in the water with his bare feet, Probably not the smartest thing I’ve ever done.” he said haha.

He had never built a hotrod and didn’t really know where to begin so with help from friends in the car world and some new friends he made he built this incredible 1930 Ford Model A hotrod.

Between working 12-16 hour days, selling everything not bolted down and hustling early ford parts I was able a to scrounge up the money.
    I called Brad and said I’m coming up and I’m bringing my trailer, I’ve got the cash !

He asked if I had robbed a F’n Bank ?

So I called Mike B and set a plan to retrieve the old hotrod.

Here’s some pics from that day
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] DSC_4313.JPG DSC_4322.JPG DSC_4321.JPG
    DSC_4335.JPG DSC_4357.JPG IMG_2154.JPG

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  17. guitarguy

guitarguy

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Incredible! I’d be up all night crawling all over it once I got it home.

loudbang, Stogy, Mikel50 and 2 others like this.
  19. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Wow! what a cool coupe that is!

20. Damn .... that fugg'n coupe is cool as hell. Chopped, channelled, pleated ... what's not to looooovvvvee' ??

21. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

I first met Brad in the late '70's / early '80's, when I saw this car parked out in front of an old Sunoco station in Swampscott, Ma. We've been friends ever since, and he builds cool shit that he regularly drives to Fla.
    Congrats on your new Rod!

loudbang, wheeldog57, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  22. Mikel50

Mikel50

He’s such a great guy. I’m so honored to own this car and call him my friend.
    I’m amazed with the cars he’s built.
    I’m hoping to do the car justice by telling its story on here.

Looking forward to the spring when I drive it up to his house.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    catdad49, loudbang, ABONES and 4 others like this.
  23. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She sure sits on a great angle! Best of luck with her.

24. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm so glad you robbed that bank and made this happen!

gonzo, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  25. AHotRod

AHotRod

Mike.... your Coupe is SO COOL brother, I'm in love with it.
    I must tell you that I love the yellow color that he had on it, fits the cat perfect.
    The stance is Spot-On to me.
    Thanks for sharing this awesome adventure, stories and pictures with us.
    I'm so excited for you and your family.
    God Bless,
    Glenn

26. You now own one wicked cool A. FANTASTIC!!;):)

27. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I would keep thinking I'm going to wake up and this is all a dream. Glad everything worked out for you. Did you sleep with it the first night?

28. Mikel50

Mikel50

Haha
    I did and still do every time I open the door to my shop.
    I’ll start posting up details of the car and I have a feeling you’re going to ask me this again.
    It’s a dream come true owning this little hotrod !

catdad49, ABONES, patmanta and 2 others like this.