Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Want a simple column mounted dimmer switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Oct 14, 2018.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Would like a ( simple) column mounted dimmer switch for the headlights. Went through a couple of catologs,all too complicated, many wires required and expensive. Is there a way to fabricate one that is simple,not bulkie looking sitting on the steering column and will serve the purpose ? gene

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Something wrong with a floor mounted one ?

BJR and X38 like this.
  3. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Both my 34 Chevy and 37 Buick have NO dimer switch. As far as I know parking lights are not required by a single state in the country so with the headlight switch wired for what used to be parking lights as high beam and what used to be head lights as low beam a bunch of wires are eliminated and it's free. The reason for low beam to be all the way out on the switch is it's quick to go to when needed and one can take time to choose when to go half way in on the switch for high beams.

4. squirrel

squirrel

A single pole, double throw, toggle switch will do the job.

egads likes this.

5. Yes it will, and they can be quite small and inexpensive. You may want to wire it with a relay to power the headlights to reduce the current through the switch.

6. You could run a switch (push/pull or toggle) in the dash and use a relay or check out a Cole Hersee 7112 headlight switch. You just need to wire up dash lights to the tail light lug (I would still run a relay).

[​IMG]

Johnny Gee and Dave_D like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

X2

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just installed a second floor mounted dimmer switch, 10 second time delay with a corresponding indicator light to lock up the Torque Converter and to tell when its locked up in overdrive. Easy access to the work area and a pretty simple installation. Its also a lot cleaner installation then an exterior steering column mount which usually looks fugly.
    Gary

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  9. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

10. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Lokar or Ididit signal lever with corresponding relay, very simple installation.

11. F&J

F&J

Holy smokes...$120 plus shipping? I never understood that company name "I did it"... um, did what besides pay a lot of money? :)

Ok, I put up a similar question here on the end of my 32 build...no room whatsoever for a floor dimmer, but they asked for pics, and one sharp guy here asked if I could hide a small switch behind my ancient signal light lever housing..

Here are some pics, I used a SIMPLE (free) stock early 70s VW dimmer relay that I had, behind the kick panel, which only needs one thin wire to trip the relay..a "momentary ground wire".

I made the contact from the spring-steel part of a set of used ignition points. That is held to that old T/S switch back side cover, with a machine screw to act as a ground from that cover, Then another machine screw, insulated from the cover with a rubber grommet. All that switch does is create a ground each time you barely touch that spring steel lever. I put a thin piece of Vacuum hose on the exposed tip, so the steel tip is not sharp. >>>(one pic here, shows that I swung that contact spring out of the way, so you could see the contact point made from a screw through the grommet. That screw holds the wire to the relay, inside of the back cover)

The relay is so simple, the three wires that are needed for a floor dimmer, then one new thin wire to the homemade switch. On many cars, there is a thinner 4th wire on the floor dimmer that hooks to the Hi beams, for the hi-beam indicator. I used the old hole for the 40 Ford dashboard starter button, to use a red jewel for high beams. It is "on" in one of these pics. I think the jewel and chrome bezel was from a 56 Olds parking brake warning light, from a parts car I had.

This was so simple, cost me zero, works sweet, and that Hamber saved the day with his idea. :)
    DSCN1904.JPG DSCN1903.JPG DSCN1902.JPG DSCN1901.JPG
    ^^Above...this pic is where I swung the points spring steel out of the way^^^
    DSCN1900.JPG

tb33anda3rd and RMR&C like this.
  12. Did the same thing in my rod. Used a motorcycle kill button instead of the point spring.
    A VW friend says every rod should have a VW part on it. The dimmer switch (latching relay, looks like a Bosch relay) is mine.
    VW #111-941-583
    NAPA Echlin #AR284
    DNI 0127

Phil

F&J likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

14. What's wrong with one of these? HRP

upload_2018-10-15_14-3-55.jpeg

15. squirrel

squirrel

it's a bitch to get your foot up to the steering column, to actuate it!

:)

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Mount it on your kick pannel and use your knee to trip it.

17. I had one attach under the edge of the dash on my old flathead power deuce, it was out of sight and easy to get to with my hand. HRP

18. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ron Francis offers one built into a push/pull headlight switch.

19. I have the floor mount in the A. Shifting the 5 spd at night sometimes makes the lights brighter, or alternatively dimmer.

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Clutches are only for starting and stopping.....

54vicky likes this.
  21. goldmountain

goldmountain

I did the same as F&J and pprather, used VW relay 111-941-583 with a Ron Francis SL-5 turn signal lever with momentary switch. My old '74 Datsun 610 also had a similar headlight relay. IMG_1138.JPG

F&J and pprather like this.