Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lowriders & Business Suits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 1, 2018.

1. i'm a 42 regular......

chryslerfan55, ct1932ford and Hnstray like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. ruffie tuffshitski

ruffie tuffshitski

Sorry man, I didn't mean to sound like an asshole, 99% of the the time I'm one of the "regulars" sitting in traffic on the way to work. It's just rare when you get that chance to make a break for it, and get outside the "norm", when a late night adventure doesnt end until the next day. I always figured thats what hot rods and choppers (or lowriders) were for, the machines to make that getaway happen...

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  4. Sometimes I pull up next to cab or hire car full of "businessmen", and most of the suits won't even notice my cars (I don't care if they do or don't), but sometimes I will see one who is REALLY looking - Probably "one of us" who is itching to get back to the shed when they knock off work for the day. When I go to a business meeting, as I am getting bored shitless, my mind wanders off to what has to be done next on my current project. You can usually spot the real car guys, not by suits or ink or clothes, just check for cuts, burns and scars on their hands, and those permanent dark fingers, which no amount of scrubbing will remove. (AKA "manifold hands").

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Can you think of anyone who had a better business suit than Gray Baskerville.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and anthony myrick like this.
  6. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

From 1969 . . .

"Hang in there."

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I started calling on a client list that included many of the pioneers of the high performance industry in 1964. In my mind, wearing a suit was showing respect. Too, these clients had attorneys and accountants that wore suits, so why shouldn’t I? Take a look at some of the photos from the first SEMA show in Dodger stadium, there are a lot of suits! Times change, but suits were “traditional” in the early days of the high performance industry!

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've always had suits...don't wear 'em any more, not in THIS cultural desert!
    But I was a 40 regular, wore 'em right off the rack...no tailoring necessary. Fedora hats? Trademark with me...I wore fedoras (FEDORAS, not 'Porkpies' the unwashed take as 'fedoras'...The Blues Brothers wore Porkpies, Indy wore a Fedora.) My Grandpa and Dad were from Hammond, Indiana. Both wore Fedoras, we look good in 'em. Fedoras are why my F100 is unchopped, and why the seat is lower.

Low riders...Lots of friends of mine drive lowriders and 'bombs'.
    Last summer in the big WALMART parking lot, some strange guy drove up alongside my F100, looked it over, and said (scornfully!) "Hot Rod Truck..."
    He wasn't smiling, so I glanced at his 'slammed, Tennis-shoed tire '64 and replied,
    "Refried Chevy..." Then he laughed, and I did, too...Then, the usual "Hey, looks good..." "You, too!"
    Waves and "See you around..."

9. i have 5 suits, and one pair of blue jeans.............and rarely wear either.

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I appreciate your comments....but for the record, my use of 'dreary', 'boring', etc., was not my judgement, but an attempt to paraphrase the people who seem to characterize regular folks that way. I am now and have always been a sort of 'ecumenical'....not fully belonging to any particular group. I am well acquainted with and enjoy genuinely friendly relationships with a wide spectrum of people but my closest friends are kind of middle range...regular decent people who have families, jobs, etc. and are 'car guys'. They are pretty much the Salt of the Earth types.

My point was to remind the self styled 'outlaws', if they didn't already realize it, that a lot of non-car, ordinary people are the support team that makes the 'trains runs on time'. However one may characterize them, they are indispensable.

Regards,
    Ray

chryslerfan55 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  12. Boatmark

Boatmark

In another part of my career, I was an every day suit and tie guy. It was the appropriate attire for the position. But mid way down that row of manager Volvo’s and Lincoln’s sat my late model pickup with the wheels, stance, and just enough cam and exhaust to catch your attention. Suit was wrapped around a car guy.

Biggest change over time wasn’t losing the suit, but leaving the big corporate side of the industry. Found that I enjoyed the manufacturing side, and a niche company with no corporate ties. I’m still one of the “suits”, but my normal attire is shorts, a polo, and tennis shoes. And there is still something bopped and dropped in my parking space.

I get what Ryan is saying. Life to short to not be doing something that makes you happy. Be it right guy wrong job. Or right job, wrong place.

My big problem is winter is coming . . I’m going to be forced into . . Long Pants!!

(And I still like to look sharp in a well cut suit if the occasion arises.)

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well that's what I was hoping. I think we are of similar minds on this!

14. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

“Put the pedal to the metal,
    Baby turn the radio on!”
    The world needs more punk rock and horsepower, thanks for letting newer members read that, it was good

(Lyrics are Social D)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Far Side of Nowhere".

Been listening to them since 1982, and seeing them live since 1986.

Gavin Tittle and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. You sure have the knack of getting someone's attention, Ryan. Like Flamingokid, I was surprised at the Huntington Beach reference as well. My story was centered around that city, and is also about how doing what you love can get out of control.
    In the 60's, I was learning the machine shop trade in Massachusetts when Nixon shut down most of the NASA operations there, causing machine shops to cease to exist left and right. Moved to California with wife and newborn when I was 19, found some great jobs, took to prototype Bridgeport work like a duck in water. Fast forward a decade, and I was vice president of one of the largest privately owned machine shops in Ca. Somewhere along the line I was no longer a hands on machinist, but a programmer, estimater, manager, etc. 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week.
    4 or 5 years of that, I was getting burned out. Then I met my "Lowrider in a fedora"....
    Took a rare long weekend, went to Lake Tahoe, went horseback riding. The trail guides were all young ladies that took care of the customers, horses, etc. On the way back down the mountain, the trail was overlooking the log cabin and stables. I stopped the horse short, and said to my wife..."my god, look at that". The older owner of the stables was sitting on the front porch of the cabin, in a rocking chair, playing checkers with his friend in the shade of the tall pines. I thought that guy has the world by the balls. My lowrider in a fedora, only this one had a checkered shirt and a cowboy hat. I went back to Huntington Beach, gave my boss a one year notice. I sold the house, moved to Colorado, got into the art business. Always missed the hands-on Bridgeport work, but never the deskwork I let it turn out to be.
    Anybody here ever work for a company in Newport Beach/Fountain Valley called Bouse Mfg.in the 60-80's?
    Some vague memories of going to a few lowrider car shows in Mile Square Park, may have seen that '63 Impala. I definetly have vivid fond memories of watching female braless joggers running the periphery of that park..........some things were better in the 70's and 80's, lol.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  17. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

Is it weird that I am on the opposite end of the spectrum and would have liked to have tried a job where I wore a tailored suit, drove a nice new clean garaged car to an office furnished to my liking somewhere with a view and a secretary who made sure I had a really good cup of coffee and kept me on schedule throughout the day. But instead I passed up the ivy league education because my childhood obsession consumed me beyond all reason.

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It is not ‘weird’. Being wistful about ‘the road not traveled’ undoubtedly occurs more often than it is revealed. If anything, you are honest and uncommonly open about your introspection. That is admirable.

Ray

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018