Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Just change setting, try now

2. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Edelbrock 1406. Basically a carter, but new

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  3. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

The generosity on this board always amazes me.
    Puts a smile on my face every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Bobss396 gave possibly the best advice yet. Go back to a 2 barrel Rochester until the car is sorted out and looking presentable.

bobss396 likes this.
  5. If I had one laying around, I'd put it in a box and ship it out to the kid. I have used a Holley 2BBL before with an adapter, it was a class option when I ran stock cars. Those ran well and the little Holleys are relatively cheap.

RaginPin3Appl3 and Doctorterry like this.
  6. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Geoford41 has very generously given me an edelbrock and some great tips for getting everything all put together. Will probably be a couple weeks until i’m home again and can get the car out to work on but i’m eager to get some work done on it before it gets cold. Goal is still to get it running and idling by itself with fuel from the tank by the end of the year.

7. Geoford41 let me thank you also for your generosity. Pin3appl3 has been diligently trying to accomplish a task most young people wouldn't be interested in or even attempt. He will help keep the hobby alive as in different threads he has even answered questions to help other members. I am also sure that he thanked you as he seems to be a very polite young man with morals and manners. He was apparently "raised right" as so many young people are not anymore. Again, thank you Sir for helping out.

8. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well I wouldn't be able to accomplish any of this without the help of you guys! Hell I'd probably still be trying to get that 235 to start with no spark :D

chryslerfan55 and Sporty45 like this.
  9. Attitude is everything. Glad to see things coming together. You'll be driving it next summer, I'm sure.

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  10. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Good to see you got what you need man. Keep it up, maybe you’ll be on the road before the bird is again.

chryslerfan55 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  11. Flamed48

Flamed48

12. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Aw man, i thought for sure i had decided to go with dusk pearl when i got to that point but i’m not sure now :D sure is a sharp looking bodystyle even as a 4 door sedan!

13. Sporty45

Sporty45

Dusk Pearl you say? Not too shabby! :cool:

[​IMG]

14. Flamed48

Flamed48

There’s already black on the car so i said what if it were all black

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think themoose knew what he was doing when he made the door post black as well, that darker color trick on the post works well on a 4 door post especially a belair with its trim, to subdue the post for a better cleaner look.
    Thats what I did on a 4 door 55 I had

Attached Files:

• 455.jpg
      455.jpg
      File size:
      194.6 KB
      Views:
  16. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

The carb got to my mom’s today, again huge thank you to Geoford41! I haven’t gone home yet to work on it because i want to figure out what i’m going to do about my intake first and do the whole job in one weekend. I was thinking i’d just go with a carb adapter to put the edelbrock on my quadrajet intake but when i was looking at prices for a used square bore intake vs an adapter, i decided i’m going to try to hunt down a square bore intake, and maybe even trade one of the quadrajets plus one of the quadrajet intakes for one. There are a couple of old school weiand aluminum intakes for sale locally that look pretty cool!

chryslerfan55 and Clay Belt like this.
  17. I noticed a couple Edelbrock manifolds on Craigslist in your area as well. $50 and $100.

18. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I can vouch for the Edelbrock intakes being good. I believe that’s what a friend is running on an OT Buick Regal he put a SBC in

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

As a note about knock off products. I once bought a swap meet knockoff of a SBC Edelbrock intake to swap out on a car I was selling so I could retain the Edelbrock for my 56. I have no explanation as to why but the engine ran different. It lacked on low end and even the tone exhaust was different.

20. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Yikes, any way to tell that it’s a knock off?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It just looks like an Edelbrock but with a different name.

22. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Got to go home this weekend, but I haven't found an intake yet. There's a swap in 2 weeks near my hometown so if I don't have one by then I'm sure I can find something to use there. Had a look at the new edelbrock and the extras and sketches that GeoFord sent. Looks like the perfect stash of resources a novice like me needs! As soon as I get my hands on a square bore intake I'll be back at it!

23. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I have one of said spacers if you pass along your info I'll ship it to ya if you need. Either way if you got an Edelbrock carb just hop on eBay you can buy a new intake for like $120.00 shipped.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I'm trying to avoid using an adapter because I'm sure it can't be great for performance and I need every bit I can get from this 283, I may end up with an adapter but I do want to try to find a used square bore first. Usually I can find a $20-$30 used one at this swap meet.

26. You won’t feel any difference in performance with an adapter, you are way overthinking this, get the damn thing running!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. The Edelbrock manifold on Craigslist, is a Performer 2101, designed by Edelbrock to take a Q-Jet AND their own Edelbrock carb, which is what you have. The plate that is the thickness of a gasket only ensures that there is no leak at the base when using the square bore carburetors.
    The manifold listed in the ad, comes with spacer, gaskets and is only $50. I don't think you'll find a better deal.

chryslerfan55, Clay Belt and RMONTY like this.
  28. RMONTY

RMONTY

Oh young Pineapple, please listen to the greybeards. They speaketh to you and leadeth you down the right paths!

Budget36, chryslerfan55 and Clay Belt like this.
  29. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

The old men aren’t leading you astray man, any more than they have led me astray

wvenfield and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

He just needs a little time and $ to get that engine running. I hope he just gets the adapter and it starts up. If a $50.00 Edelbrock manifold on Craigslist, is a Performer 2101 then buy it now! also I told hom to get a inline fuel filter with -6 ends or 1/4" FNPT to adapt to the SS braided hose I sent him. Sometimes too many choices leads to in decision. I wait patiently to hear its running!

chryslerfan55 and Algoma56 like this.