Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 42 V-12 Coupe thinking of an Olds conversion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lincolnmatthews, Oct 14, 2018.

1. lincolnmatthews

lincolnmatthews

I'm a newbie here, think I finally found an awesome site! I've got a very tired V-12 Lincoln that would have to be shipped off to H & H for a rebuild, buy I just don't want all the flat head hassles such as the double coils, distributor,etc.
    I have a chance to pick up a 50 Olds complete running 4-door for a about 1500, I know these were the tickets back in the 50's to get rid of the old 12's. I know just about enough to get my butt kicked in this conversion!
    I believe they retained the manual trannys (I have the Borg Warner OD) but what was needed to bolt up the Rocket V-8 to the stock manual tranny? If I was to go with the Hydramatic then I would have to get rid of the torque tube & reuse all the Olds running gear wouldn't I?
    I'm thinking to keep it somewhat simple I should just convert the engine, radiator etc & just keep my original running gear or ??
    Thanks in advance for any help, as I need to let the guy know if I'm going to buy his Olds

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Very simple conversion, cheap in the day...but has become 'classic'.
    In 1960, Sut's in San Jose had stick flywheels for Cads & Oldses, $20 good used...Ford clutch/pressure plate/ T/O brg. were bolted onto the stick Cad/Olds flywheel.
    The adapter for the Cad/Olds was an accessory item, Sut's sold it new for $16.00.
    Today...Wilcap is the purveyor for the adapter, and other things necessary.
    The swap consists of merely those items, plus 'motor mount kit', also pilot brg. adapter.
    Olds starter is on left side, so we used to use the Cad lower bellhousing to 'changeover' to right side. Wilcap may have this part also. Much more $$ than the 'olden days', but an easy swap. AND, if you choose to retain it? Olds is also 6 volt system.
    There were lots of those running around in the late '50s thru the '60s.
    Now most have Chev V8s...

mgtstumpy, F&J and Hnstray like this.
  3. Ross engines (goatroper on this board) is a great guy. He can supply you with pretty much anything you need.

4. And send me the V-12:D

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put me down next for the V-12.

6. scotts52

scotts52

Where are you located? IdI take the v-12 too. I don't care that they lack the power of the ohv v8. They just look good.