Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HACKSAW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oj, Oct 13, 2018.

1. oj

oj

This is going to be a long thread, heres a good start of us digging the body out and getting it so I can get it on a rollback. Its a '64 Volvo P544 buried to its' hubs and home to a few groundhogs. The guy let me have this one to save from the scrapper, he felt the others too good to part with, they were restorable. 001.JPG 004.JPG
    We raised it enough to get a jack under the rear and then got it high enough to get some tires on the back. I hooked a comealong to a tree and drug it out enough to clear around the front and get some wood under it to slide it on and drug it out far enough so we can swing it around to get on a rollback. 012.JPG 010.JPG
    That whole front end was buried.
    The next set of pics will be from getting it to the shop and then we'll start building the frame and cage to SFI specs, yeah, it'll be a hemi!

2. volvobrynk and oj like this.
  3. Looks like it will be a cool build. HRP

volvobrynk and oj like this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great build to follow, good luck with it. I had a P1800 project planned but it went down the road to finance others. Bob

volvobrynk, chryslerfan55 and oj like this.

5. F&J

F&J

The older version, I think it is called a 444?? ..those have a very cool dash that would look great in an early roadster.

volvobrynk, Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

7. Always liked that Volvo.Guy had one in the '60s with a 283.
    Cool sleeper too.

volvobrynk and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. oj

oj

Here's the SFI 25.4C spec for up to 7.50 in the quarter mile. I'll design the chassis & cage to these specs. I expect the engine to make 1200hp and run 4.80's in the 1/8th, all period correct with the exception of modern automatic with torque converter (those are the rules) and alcohol instead of gasoline.
    002 (2).JPG

9. That ought to be a 1 or 2 blink pass.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. ...always liked those things, evidently the guy you got yours from does too,...how many did he have?
    ...here's a couple I've sketched...
    art 2018 127.jpg art 2018 128.jpg

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Those things are cool in their own kind of quirky way, and the price was right! I like it. Be interesting to watch this one morph.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. oj

oj

He had quite a few of them, he road raced them and has his original P544 restored back to its original race trim and he runs the vintage events with it. It's a sweetie for sure, I just saw pics of it as it is in his son's shop.
    I had to get approval to use this body and submitted pics and description of what I intended to use for engine etc to the 2 AA Gasser groups. The rules for building one of these aren't really written down as much as a few agreed upon guidelines, like ladderbar rear suspension, stock whelbase, rear tire size, what kind of wheel, engine year, blower size, fuel injectors, magneto, header design - that kind of thing. I didn't want to go thru all this work and not have a place to compete.

Dino 64, volvobrynk and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Saw this thread the other day and thought of something like this considering your lack of parts but thought it probably wouldnt look rite....I ran across this today, and other than needing some tweaking in the engine compartment, I cant help but really like it or at least the general idea of it. upload_2018-10-14_19-8-31.jpeg

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have been a fan of Volvo 444/544 for decades......have come close to buying one several times.....but haven’t yet....:(......but one of these days....:)

Will be watching this thread..

Ray

volvobrynk and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've always been attracted to the '46-'48 Ford tudors, and the 444-544 Volvos...
    This project sounds like a 'dream come true...My last hemi ride was a '46 Ford club coupe, 671 over 331 Reath Automotive Chrysler block. Volvo would be much more 'compact'...:eek:

oj, volvobrynk and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks for the drugging! I've always wondered what those look like under the hood regarding frame.

17. They always reminded me of a mini 47 Ford sedan.:cool: Go Man Go!

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

They do have the resemblance of a baby 46-48 Ford sedan, that's a good thing!

volvobrynk and ct1932ford like this.
  19. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Here is some pictures of one I sold awile back. For inspiration. johnspics 010.JPG johnspics 016.JPG johnspics 011.JPG

20. wildwest

wildwest

Those are cool, there was one in my neighborhood when I was a kid, even at 10 years old I thought It looked like a 46-48 Ford copy ! A friend of mine has a Wagon version thats a pretty clean driver, I think its called a 545 ?

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

445..........Cool wagons

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. VonWegener

VonWegener

Volvo Gasser.jpg Have you seen this one?

juan motime and volvobrynk like this.
  23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. oj

oj

The 'rules' are vague, they basically limit you to what could have been built in the early '60s with a few exceptions. The basic frame rails will be 2x3 box tube and the cage structure per the SFI specs; ladderbar & coilover shocks for rear suspension; straight axle and coilover shocks for front; vintage style wheelie bars; trans must use torque converter, no transbrakes; engine block & heads (392hemi) dated from the late 50's, 4 port injectors and scoop, 6-71 supercharger, vintage magneto, no upswept headers (like funny car); 33x10.5 rear tire, period correct wheels; on-board fire suppression, no electronics or data collection systems; original style 9" (i.e. no fabricated rear housings) rear housing with modern carriers; I think a 7-9" height minimum for the frame; stock wheelbase; 10% motor setback.
    If anybody has better information than what I do please speak up

Dino 64 and volvobrynk like this.
  25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is epic!

I love old Volvo’s!!

The car @porkshop had was epic, and you are really planning true!
    I like it!!

Does it how to be straight axle?
    Class rules?
    They handle very well, and can have a 142/144/145 front end put in with discs!

I know it’s not era-perfect, but it looks like a stick front end with a disc brake conversion.

I will be following for sure, where are you from @oj?

Thanks @Ned Ludd!!

Ned Ludd likes this.
  26. I had one back in the late '80's and dropped a 307 out of a Camaro, "Corvette" with the Turbo 350.:p The Volvo engine ran good and was sold off to a restorer who cringed at what I was doing.:confused: Car ran a lot better with the extra 4 cylinders from that "Corvette".:rolleyes: Sold that car to a kid who wrapped it around a tree.:( He wasn't hurt but probably should have been as he is no longer here due to drugs.

27. squirrel

squirrel

That should be fun.

I drove one of them things with the B20 upgrade about 80 miles yesterday...but the day before, I drove an old Barracuda with a blown hemi in it. Just to get in the right frame of mind.

Dino 64 likes this.
  28. So... You were serious!!!

Dino 64 likes this.
  29. oj

oj

You betch'a, I'm getting tired of working 7days a week and want to get out and have some fun at the track. Nothing like a belt driven engine to get your nipples hard, can't wait to throw my foot into this one.

Dino 64 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I also have a 544 with a B20 upgrade (a "whopping" 0.2 Liters bigger...). It does wake the car up nicely. I also have a worn out 1967 Volvo 122 station wagon,. Yesterday, a US Post Office delivery truck pulled away from me at the lights, as my engine backfired and farted..... I'm going to sell that rusty sucker.

Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.