Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Making Gaskets?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HuskerNation, Sep 28, 2018.

1. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

I was finally able to get some time and try my hand at some newly inspired gasket making. My Lang Gasket punch set arrived this afternoon but the 5/16” punch wasn’t manufactured quite right so I’ll be calling them Monday for a replacement.

In the meantime I used the 30.06 Hornady shell which I had found to be a great fit for the 5/16” bolts. It was a fraction smaller hole than the 5/16” punch which meant I really had to be precise. I really appreciate everyone’s input and it was great fun learning gasket making. It’s one more way I was able to make my coupe really personal for me.

The gasket I cut is below the water jacket in the 2nd photo below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jet96, Hnstray, tractorguy and 4 others like this.
  2. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

I use a block of UHMW (industrial plastic) for my hole punches.... Works good and does not harm the punches....

LynnW

3. At my indoor range they save the shells in a pail... but I will grab a bunch on my next trip. Good tip. I shoot mainly 12 gauge shotguns and those shells are plastic.

4. I'll use Masonite as a back up material, pine board works well, plywood is tough on the punches. Most of my punches I made from solid stainless steel rod on a lathe and they have to be faced off and have a new bevel for the cutting edge. But one usually gets me through an entire gasket.

5. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

My wife does vinyl cutting (for signs, t-shirts and whatnot) that vinyl cutting machine will cut perfect gaskets if you take the 10-15 minutes to program the dimensions.

Adam

6. 54vicky

54vicky

somebody never heard the expression a little goes a long way.to say nothing of that being plain stupid in that application

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The Ferrari Dealer in Los Gatos sent a '64 GTB over, (California model, V12...No oil pressure, his 'technicians' ran the engine, 'could not confirm why not', so the owner sent the Ferrari over on a trailer.
    I pulled the pan, and someone had painted the block and pan insides liberally with orange Permatex silicone...it was floating on the left over oil, and had formed a skin which covered the screen on the pickup for the scavenger pump of the dry sump!
    A quick inspection of the con rod bearings revealed no visual damage, it was my call...I replaced the con rod bearings.
    Just imagine the repair bill if his 'technician' had kept on running the engine...

Jet96, Hnstray, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We scan parts, and then laser cut gaskets all the time at work.

Hnstray and bct like this.
  9. yep....used the hard card board type paper as well as the cork....use a desk hole puncher often if the holes or close or what the other guys are using....just sometimes I don't want to run to the parts house for a small gasket I can make real quick......

10. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

A little funny from my wife and her vinyl cutting friends. Glad to know I’m not the only one.
    [​IMG]

loudbang and Jet96 like this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use the end of a board, ideally a 4x4 with a hole punch. Makes clean holes.

HuskerNation likes this.
  12. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

13. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

It was a lot more work & was quite messy but I took my time to do it right not do what Kerrynzl posted. A very thin coat on both sides of the water jacket gasket with Permatex Grey Ultra Gasket Maker and Permatex Thread Sealant on all the bolt threads. Barely had gasket silicone come out after tightening the bolts.

[​IMG]

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s the way to do it! A lot of people put waaay too much sealer on gaskets.

Bones

HuskerNation likes this.
  15. clem

clem

Sometimes use this method to “mark” them, then use scissors to cut them out.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Make fun if you will.... But.... Harbor Freight sells a gasket hole punch kit. It actually works quite well. I have made lots of gaskets by the small hammer method and this hole punch set.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

18. theburningbush

theburningbush
    from Tacoma WA

Usually go with the tried and true ball pein.
    When I was a kid, my folks were dead broke and Dad taught me how to make a gasket for the differential cover on his OT daily driver. Used a cereal box (Frosted flakes?), worked fine till he sold it about 5 years later. ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.