Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 34 Ford W/S wipers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Xman, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Xman

Xman

I want to run both left and right wipers on my new 3W build and wondering what others have used for motors and drive. I know there are aftermarket kits available. Is this the only or best option? I really want to avoid the big holes chopped into my header panel too. Has anyone done cowl mounted wipers?
    This is my fourth 34 3W and the first with wipers. I usually just use Rain X with a dummy wiper blade.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Mighty Wiper is about the smallest motor made. I haven't installed one in a 34 but I put one in a 32 and you can't see any bulge in the header. I only have a single wiper. Maybe you could do the old style connector arm that the restoration parts vendors supply for the outside.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just finished installing Specialty Windows wipers in my 34 cowl. Not horrible to install. Cable drive, I chose to have them "park" pointing at each other and sweep to the sides but you can configure it as you wish. Intermittent control unit with low and high. Made in USA.

4. Xman

Xman

Billy, were you able to keep the cowl vent?

5. millersgarage

millersgarage

I was curious about these, kinda pricy. I read many poor reviews too.
    I would like to hear more.

as far as 2 wipers go, just put 2 motors in it. easy peazy. My 33 had 2 vacuum motors installed at one time.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Another thing about Mighty Wipers I could say is to buy their switch. Don't try to save money using your own switch. I have had no problems with my unit in the twelve years it's been in use.

Not sure about using two separate units for dual wipers. Having two wipers going at different swipes would drive me crazy. As much as you would hope the two units have the same speed, they are bound to be slightly off.

7. I have installed many Specialty Power units and as of yet no issues. I think the poor reviews probably reflect on the installer. I've been driving my Avitar for 15 years here in Washington State and it's not a seasonal driver. I think if it was a Bad Product issue it would have shown up by now. I don't know of any wiper unit that fits in smaller space and will work overhead. I have installed them in 2, 36 Fords and a 37 and the windshields still open and they have nothing to do with the Cowel vent. I don't know of any better choice for your project. If you find one let us know.
    The Wizzard

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Years ago before all the aftermarket stuff was available, I would scrounge the wreckers for parts from VW bugs and come up with something less than optimal. When you have suppliers like Newport Engineering, why mess around?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. I used a mighty wiper in my '34. Worked OK and was hidden. Only put it in for legality as I never drove it in the rain.

10. I went to the Newport Engineering web sight. I like the looks of what they have and it seems to be an easy to install unit for sure. Strange as it may be I don't see 33-34 Ford listed.
    The Wizzard

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely!
    upload_2018-4-12_10-45-13.png
    Their system uses a bendable steel tube that you manipulate past the cowl vent and any other obstructions. You cannot exceed a certain radius in the bends, I don't recall the degree. After the tube is installed and the wiper transmissions are in place, you lube up the cable and slide it through he tube. How you position the transmissions determine sweep.
    upload_2018-4-12_10-49-18.png
    I went with option 3 cause it look cooler. The box is installed under the dash out of sight. It comes with an intermittent switch that I added to my dash.
    This is the tube and this is the wiper motor unit (without the lid on it as I am still in the middle of wiring)
    upload_2018-4-12_10-51-52.png
    The kit comes with groovy little wiper arms and a measurement to aid in installing them on a chopped windshield frame like mine.
    upload_2018-4-12_10-55-17.png
    It is a high end kit and universal in application.

12. To add to Bandit Billy's post I bought a pair of these from S. P. W. in raw Brass.
    [​IMG] I then hand fit them to the Cowell on a 34 Chevy sedan and had them Chromed. Made for an outstanding finished look. I'm sure you can do the same on a Ford.
    The Wizzard

Shadow Creek, Bandit Billy and RICH B like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SPW? I need more info!

14. Go to Specialty Power windows sight then to drop down menu and to Accessories then to Wiper accessories and there is the list of Bezels. You can get them in ready to fit in Aluminum or Brass raw or Chromed. Being you and I both changed to Cowell mount there is no ready to fit made to order but a little craftyness and a Belt sander made for a grate end result.
    The Wizzard

Bandit Billy likes this.
  15. Exactly! Remember trying to sync the separate air drive wipers on big trucks a few decades ago, never would do that to a hot rod. Those SPW cable drives seem pretty good; put one on a '54 and a friend is putting one a '59 wagon. I had saved up a bunch of foreign car cable drive stuff to put duals on my '35; but ended up going with a single one instead. Rainex will do the job; other than wife thinks she should have a wiper too.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  16. Xman

Xman

I will be looking into the SPW units, I like what I see.

17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put SPW unit in a 37 woody with custom wiper towers--worked great-not that hard to install. I had never installed one but my friend had it already. No problem. Have used lots of Newport Eng in 40's

18. I had bad luck with Mighty Wipe. Installed 2 of them in my daily driver, year 'round 46 chevy pickup. To be fair, my truck went through a tough winter with lots of ice and snow...driver's side didn't make it a year. Motor fizzled out and all the smoke came out if it. 46atnapa.jpg

Bandit Billy likes this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got a picture of those installed?

20. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Sorry to drag up an old thread..but I’d like to see these installed also. I’ve searched all over for a picture of SPW wiper towers installed but haven’t been able to find anything..

Bandit Billy likes this.
  21. That was several years back and the car is gone. I'm doing another 34 project and will be doing a repeat on the Wiper install soon. I'll take photos as I go and try to remember to post them up. On about the same note my 51 Vicky has Specialty Power wipers in it and I used the Factory bezels with some hand jiving to get things done. They look like they belong there, just like I like it. They have been in the Car 15 years and still working just fine.
    The Wizzard

Shadow Creek likes this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought em nut I haven't installed em. Still have some cutting and fabricaten to do.

Shadow Creek likes this.
  23. When you do the '34 are keeping the wipers over the windshield and if so where will you mount the power unit? Thanks.

24. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

The power unit on this 34 is in the passenger side kick panel. The tube with cable inside runs across the front header and wiper tower (just visible) is in driver side windshield frame. No arm or blade on except for inspection. I would think it would be much easier on a closed car but this unit works good.

two 34's outside 004.jpg

RICH B likes this.
  25. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I have used the SPW units in a couple of 33/34's. I mounted the motor unit under the dash and snaked the cable/tube up the windshield post and across the top. You just need to be careful about the bends in the tube and don't get them too tight.

26. On this 34 Chevy I will be moving the wipers down onto the Cowel as I did on the other 34. That's why I bought the Brass bezel. I have mounted them in 36 and 39 Fords overhead like coilover did and kept the windshield able to open. Not all that difficult but like he said, be careful of the bend radi. They actually send you a max bent profile on paper to see how tight you can go.
    The Wizzard

RICH B likes this.