Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Harmonic balance nightmare

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Karl M, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Heck, you will learn something from it all. I used to use Alemite CD2 in tired engines and Wolfs Head 50 weight in my sick engines. I would straight up try a balancer puller on it, chances are that the welds are not that good.

Johnny Gee and squirrel like this.
  2. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Why be deceitful about your perversion? Find a hitchhiker with nice legs who's into the same stuff as you and zip that balancer off and get going with that harmonica.

caseywheels likes this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

LoL... :D I was kidding...... I know who he is. :D

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

LOL!? WTF Dude. Try to read for content. Youse got me confused with somebody else, or, you're nuttier than a shithouse rat, which is always a possibility I guess.

dirty old man likes this.
  5. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Half of this thread is word play. The rest seems to be pictures of harmonicas and ladies hitchhiking. This was my weak attempt at playing along. I'm sorry I ruffled your feathers but maybe you need to chill out a little. As for the OP, line up a backup motor, grind those welds and see what you've got.

Truck64 and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  6. fortynut

fortynut

I have read all of this thread and would recommend it to anyone with time to kill and the ability to ride in a convertible that just ran over a skunk. My suggestion is to remove the engine and find the nearest dumpster. Then go find a 500 Cadillac to replace it. You'll have way more fun, and the previous posters can get back to drinking beer and/or bench racing. Although I will admit if we were all together looking under the hood and making suggestions, there would inevitably have been at least two fist fights and a whole hell of a lot of hurt feelings. You won't find stuff like this anywhere but on HAMB sweet HAMB.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    lewk likes this.
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

And it all started with how do I get this off.

8. BJR

BJR

Started with "how I get this off" and had a happy ending, which we all love.

9. Did it get off?

10. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Sounds like he didn't really want it off, just some ideas in case he got serious someday.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Fireball Five

Fireball Five

We ran the 320 inline 10 years twice a week on dirt tracks. 5500 to 6500 with no dampener. Just welded a vee pulley to the old hub. Same crank yet.
    I didn't know about torsional vibration then so I didn't worry about it. Still don't.
    Fireball 5

saltflats likes this.
  12. BJR

BJR

How did you keep the oil in the engine without the damper. Pretty big hole around the crank snout without the damper on.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Hemi doesn't have a torsional damper on it.

14. Fireball Five

Fireball Five

[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    BJR likes this.
  15. BJR

BJR

16. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

most sprint car engines don't run a damper or balancer or what ever you you call them,the crank snout is usually driving a water pump

17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I'll buy all that, and more, but one thing about the OEMs back in the day especially, if a crankshaft damper wasn't really needed, they wouldn't have included it. That's a fact. The beancounters were always trying to save a penny here, a penny there. So what gives?

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  18. sunbeam

sunbeam

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[/QUOTE]It's a good story, and you did get lucky.

Glad it worked out for you, but the logic has no basis in science.

20. Fireball Five

Fireball Five

How did you keep the oil in the engine without the damper. Pretty

21. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

If a crankshaft damper wasn't needed, they would have used something to keep the oil in that cost a nickel, instead of eight bucks. Years ago, corporations used what's called the Mill as a unit for accounting purposes. 1/1000th of a dollar. Wherever they could save money, they did. That's why we see short, cheesy ground cables and stuff like that. A few pennies add up then spread out over thousands or millions of cars and trucks.

22. Fireball Five

Fireball Five

True,Truck, But some of the allure of the Big Eight was it's smoothness and torque and the ability to start out in 2nd or third gear without stalling, esp. elderly females. A common procedure was to ease down a long way on the throttle while easing up on the clutch,. no need for low gear. A lot of these ladies learned to drive before electric starters so a stalled engine meant getting out and going to find the man who just cranked it up for you.
    Fireball 5

Truck64 likes this.
  23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Heck, I start out in 2nd, granny gear is too short unless loaded down pretty good.

24. noboD

noboD

Must be a politician, he didn't answer the question.

Truck64 likes this.
  25. Fireball Five

Fireball Five

Re: Welded dampener. Here's a trick that works good on broken studs in cast iron like exhaust manifolds or studs in the head or anywhere as long as they're IN cast iron. I don't know what your crank is. If it's cast iron you can blow the weld out and not hurt the crank snout.
    Here's how. Take oxy-acetylene torch with a pretty big tip,set flame high and have a lot of oxygen pressure, get tip pretty close to stud [or weld] give'er the oxy.Move tip around when it's hot enough and don't stop till sparks quit blowing back..
    Sometimes you can't see but, o well. We never drill a stud anymore and lots of time you can get a torch in where you can't get a drill. Sometimes you will plug a tip but usually not fatally.
    Try it on a junk casting. You will need to clean threads and run a thread chaser in.
    Fireball 5

26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Fireball Five, what you're doing is something I have also done over the years with steel bolts in cast iron parts. But I ain't sure whether or not a stock dampener isn't cast iron also.:confused:

27. 327Eric

327Eric

Unless it is a '67 283, it will have a steel crankshaft.

28. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Folks who work in vibration and acoustics might take exception to "dampen" except when a water mister is involved.

29. sunbeam

sunbeam

30. 327Eric

327Eric

Yet another fact tought me by one of my old timer mentors that was not quite right. Now I know.