Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods out in the garage at quarter till three AM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 13, 2018.

1. We had a busy day at the shop yesterday and we got home late after a abnormally long day, I was dog tired and in bed by 11:30 but nodding off was interrupted by tossing and turning and I kept waking up thinking about replacing the water pump on my old beater.

I finally got up and went into the den and turned on the boob tube, it's amazing just how my channels are available and there is nothing that I want to watch so it's almost 3 AM and I decide to go out in the garage and replace the water pump, besides I had planned to change it today but not this early.

I have never got up this early to work on my cars but it's not a bad time to get something done without the normal interruptions. HRP

2. catdad49

catdad49

Good for you, Danny. What are the plans for later? (Besides a nap!)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. guitarguy

guitarguy

If I wasn't married, i'd probably live in my garage. So many times I wake up thinking, I could just go out and do...... Of course id probably be late for work everyday, fall asleep at my desk, and eventually get fired, so yeah, maybe not the greatest idea.

4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

:)Without pictures it was just a dream.

dana barlow, DeLuxe 32, clem and 11 others like this.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Bet there’s no answer and Danny’s curled up and napping in the front seat of the shoebox.

6. Slopok

Slopok

The title of his next thread, "Anyone Ever Sleep on a Creeper?":D

7. I have the same story sometimes. It has something to do with aging and not sleeping. :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Hot rodding

Side effects may include:
    Obsessive thoughts
    Empty wallet syndrome
    Sleepwrenching
    Mood swings

If you experience any of these side effects, it’s cool, you’re a car guy.

9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot cooler at that time of the day as well HRP. Also if your retired like me you can squeeze in a nap at any point of the day.

10. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Gordon is right. During the middle of summer when it's 100 degrees out i switch to the night shift. No phone calls, cooler temps, and high productivity!
    Good for you, maybe double check your work in the late morning to make sure you weren't "sleep working".

HOTRODPRIMER and GordonC like this.
  11. While building on my hot rod, If I'm having a problem I'll wake up at 2 or 3 am with a solution to my problem and next thing I'm out in the toy box wrenching.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

When I was in the .mil my roomie worked in the motor pool, and moonlighted as a bouncer in a *cough* "dance club". Well he was always draggin' ass during the day for some strange reason and looking for a place to snooze. Yup, you guessed it. He'd park hisself on a creeper under a Deuce and a 1/2 and tangle his arms up in the linkage or whatever and get some shuteye. It worked for a while.

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

when I was younger and worked 2nd shift 3-11, I would go out into the garage after I got home, kids in bed, got a lot of stuff done

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I used to do that when I was younger. Toss and turn thinking about what I had to get done in my shop on the weekends and find myself out there working.

90% of the time it wasn't my stuff I was working on so it was more about getting the job done then my own enjoyment.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. I read the title and thought this was going to be a Country Western song you wrote.....nevermind....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have done this as well. Wake up thinking of an issue on a current 40-toss and turn-get up and go to the garage and get to work. Wife thought I was nuts!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. A nap is at the top of the list!

If it's a dream why are my hands so dirty? :D

If the phone had rang a hour ago you would have been close to being right, but the couch sleeps much better!;) HRP

J. A. Miller, Petejoe and catdad49 like this.
  18. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Yea it has something to do with aging alright...I guess waking up to go in the middle of the night means not sleeping.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I no a guy that does this daily. It's not that he can't sleep, he prefer's the quit time. Perhaps that why he's able to go to bed and fall a sleep?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. I was thinking about the Frank Sinatra song - one more for the road.

Brenda knew I wasn't in bed but had no idea I had gone out in the garage. HRP

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Not out in the garage, but before we got the Govt mandated elogs, there have been several nights that I went to bed at home and couldn't sleep, so I just got up and went wherever I was going then went to bed in the truck. Can't do that anymore, have to do things their way now.

upspirate and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. My garage is directly under my bedroom. luckily, my wife can't hear as well as she use to but if I spray one little squirt of spray paint while she's sleeping, she smells it and I'm busted.

HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  23. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Oddly enough after 30 years together my wife doesn’t get car guys. My son works nights and often comes home and works out in the garage until the wee hours of the morning. Then my wife will get up, tell him to quit acting like our tweaker neighbors and go to bed. I told her to leave him alone, he’s not bothering anyone and doing what he loves.

1oldtimer, HOTRODPRIMER and catdad49 like this.
  24. oj

oj

Thats like the time I had gotten a new radio with cassette tapes to replace the 8track. I couldn't wait and started on it near midnight (I might've been partying a little, maybe under the influence of a few Millers' poney's that had just come out) and got it in, wired up, holes patched up and turned it on to test it around 3am to discover I put the fuker in upside down.

sidevalve8ba and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Master bedroom with sleeping wife is in rear of house...
    Garage with wide awake husband is in front...Music on, coffee on, working on car.
    Besides, if I make a mistake or have an "ah crap" moment nobody is there to notice, they're all asleep.
    Can nod off during Cardinals game if necessary.

HOTRODPRIMER, catdad49 and jnaki like this.
  26. Although the bedroom faces the garage it is a good 50 foot away from the house and I did keep the garage doors down so any noise I would make was at a minimal.

My old shop was built on to the opposite side of the house and ironically at that time the twins bedroom was on the other side of the wall and the girls could sleep with me working till the wee hours of the morning.

Recently we we talking at dinner and they told me they miss hearing the hum of the old compressor running. HRP

catdad49 likes this.
  27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've done that. I get some great ideas late at night.

pat59 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. catdad49

catdad49

Danny, what a Precious moment, doesn't it make ya feel Good!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sometimes, if I have a problem child and I can’t figure it out ... I can’t sleep. My wife will finally tell me to go out and figure it out. Tired of me fidgeting.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. Being approximately 35 years ago I had no idea they would remember the noise and think fondly of it. :) HRP