Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hamb friendly economy commuters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BamaMav, Oct 13, 2018.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I was sitting in Nashville TN rush hour traffic the other morning, looking at a sea of belly button cars, all the same shape, same size it seemed with the exception of a few pickups. Boring scenery to be sure, then something different caught my eye in my side mirror. Got to looking as it got closer, it was a early 60's Falcon, white with a little red trim, nothing really bold, just tasteful. Little two door, had a set of Torque Thrust style wheels on it, the kind with dark gray centers and polished lips, blackwall tires. Interior was red and white buckets of some kind, saw driver rowing a floor shift. Only had a single tail pipe, so it probably was still a I6. The car looked as though it would have back in 61 or 62 with the owner addition of the wheels. I have no idea if it gets driven daily or not, but thought to myself, if I had to drive to work everyday I would have something like that. Something like that Falcon with a I6 and a 5 speed, maybe a header and maybe some head and intake work to improve the performance a bit would be all it would need. It would be pretty simple to add front disc brakes with later year factory parts off a pony car, too, if needed. Sure would beat driving a plastic econbox to work every day!

What about you guys? Any of you have a HAMB friendly era economy car you drive to work regularly? A Falcon, Comet, Chevy II, Rambler, Valiant, something else? Smallish cars originally sold for their economy. Did you do any mods to make it more economical or just more fun to drive? Show and tell!

2. F&J

F&J

I starting driving vintage cars as true dailys back in 1995, as I was sick of smog tests, and the higher property taxes on modern cars, (we get taxed yearly on Motor Vehicles here)....(and in my State, any vehicle with antique plates, by law, only gets valued at $500)

Right now, my only two running ones are my 32 Ford, and a 66 K20 Camper Special. I don't have a spouse with a newer car either!

But my former daily of the past 11 years was a 70 VW squareback 2dr wagon mild custom, great on gas, fun to drive, the salt ruined it beyond repair.

Before that, a 57 VW sunroof bug for 5 years, before that, a 63 Suburban 2 door for many years(bad on gas, but VERY useful and fun) I stopped driving it when gas went to near $5.

I'd love another small wagon of the brands you mentioned above... 60s or even 50s. Heck, even something like a 6cyl 49-56 chevy or ford wagon, but not a huge full size wagon like around 58-up.

I realize some people simply have to have a modern car for whatever reasons, but I just don't want one. I got hooked on old stuff, and it's so simple to work on...and so much cheaper to work on.

trifives and brad2v like this.
  3. Like F&J I had a few air cooled vws as daily’s
    My 53 Chrysler with I6 and fluid drive was a daily
    Shit all my old stuff I drove everyday to work the store etc.

Why not ?!?
    You can buy a decent 60’s era 4 door cheaper then a Corolla and have some fun !!

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I drove a vw rabbit diesel pickup as my daily for several years, thing got over 40mpg and looked pretty spify with nice wheels. It popped the head gasket so I was driving my old Blazer, thankfully, when a dufus pulled out in front of me. Got banged up some but I'd have been toast in the VW. Sold it, getting 12mpg in the Blazer but insurane, reg and repair are cheap. Too many unqualified drivers in air bagged crumple zoon mobiles out there now.

5. Economy is relative
    I could add a 400+ payment or drive my paid for beater.

brad2v, olscrounger and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

While not a car, I built my 4x4 daily driver for economy. Ford 200 i6 with flat tops, a cam and a header... I get decent mileage for a truck here in the mountains.

I built it 10 years ago and put 150000+ miles on it. The salt gas eaten up body so in the next year or so i plan to redo it. ( I already picked up a nice cab and doors for it).

0710181438a.jpg

7. What front axle do you have in your truck? It looks like a nice fit (not too wide as to make it look cartoonish)

8. GuyW

GuyW

I've looked at Glassic Pinto-powered faux-Model A roadsters (also the 302 V8 version but that's not econo) for DD purposes. A cheapy T-bucket with a Chevy 4 would be kool, just keep it veeery simple, no brass, little chrome etc.

In the meanwhile I'm good with my OT '65 Baja Bug DD, and a turbo'd motor is partially completed to make the stoplight Grand Prix more sporting...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If I wanted a car like that I would look for a Valiant, Duster Barracuda or Dart 1960 - 1975. Either slant six or 318 or if you are real lucky, a 340.

Slant six and 318 are bulletproof and not hard on gas, will run fine on regular. You have torsion bar suspension, disc brakes not hard to add using 75 - 76 spindles if it doesn't already have them. 3 speed Torqueflite was state of the art for the times. All the parts you need to keep it running are cheap and easily available. Both the six and eight can be hopped up for a little more fun without killing mileage or engine life.

I think my first choice would be a Duster coupe second choice the bizarre looking early Valiant and Lancer.

firstinsteele, AHotRod and raven like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

We have a 67 Chevy II hardtop but I don't think it will be very economic with the planned engine.
    But, there is a lady in my area that drives a (64 ish) two door sedan, bone stock, six cyl. plain light brown, an absolute virgin original untouched "little ol lady" type car, I see it a couple times a month, must have a good heater because it is also a winter car.
    Every time I see it I think; man that would make such a great daily driver for my wife.
    Then I realize that is exactly what I said when I got this one for her in 1983, the plan was a V6 (yes) with a Muncie.
    Well, I got the Muncie part right.
    Wish I could show it, not had much luck here in the past, two years OT.

chevy57dude likes this.
  11. Hard to believe anyone on here would leave it stock for very long.

12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I went down to my local Ford dealer......
    They'er out of these.:(

13. I drive my old beater as much as possible, 3 or 4 says a week, I hope to make the '50 coupe my daily driver soon & get started on the updates on the sedan. HRP

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I commute 15 miles each way to work. there is a wreck 3 or 4 days a week either before or after work, sometimes both. my 1992 GMC is the oldest vehicle I see out there. nobody in their right mind drives old cars on these f'ed up Bay Area freeways.

15. Something you don't see all the time but gets really good gas mileage (even the V8), is a '60 Studebaker Lark (my girl drives the wagon all the time). IF I had more time/room/money I would get a '60 2dr with either the stock 259 or a 283.

The Lark gets high teens or even low 20's for MPG and has good torque.

I'll see how the '59 Hillman with a 140 Lima gets for MPG when it's done.

Bearcat_V8, brad2v and F&J like this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I can see the problem in the very large cities, just too much traffic, too many folks not paying attention. Nashville is a pretty good sized city and have their share of idiots and crashes, so you can see how I was surprised to see the little Falcon in rush hour traffic.

I wasn't thinking just any old car though, I was thinking HAMB era, pre 1965, economy cars like I mentioned above. Cars that were designed for that task with small 4 cylinders and 6 cylinders. When you drop in a V8, most times you start hot rodding it, nothing wrong with that, just not what I'm looking at here.

17. brad2v

brad2v

dartwork.jpg My DD, from when the snow melts, 'til the snow falls. /6, pushbutton auto. Great driving old car. Million plus population in my city, 9" drums all around. Just say I drive defensively. The car to it's left is waaaaay faster, and gets 70% better mileage. But I've got less than 4 payments would be on it, than I do in my whole car, so economy is relative. And, it makes me smile every time I drive it, so that's worth something. It's down right now for paint, and some driveline/braking upgrades. Maybe a head milling, 2 bbl, and bigger exhaust.

low budget and ROCKER77 like this.
  18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I can get a ford 200 with a rebuilt C-4 and if I could only find a decent early Falcon cheap I could have me a economy car.

19. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I used an early Broncos housing and used Chevy knuckles to get a steering arm so I could use stock steering and suspension. Then used ford hubs to get the stock only pattern.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

over the years have driven old Hot Rods as a commuter but, did not ever have to do it in heavy traffic situations - one draw back is the type of insurance that you have & company - some have strict coverage when not doing something like going to car events, etc - one of the biggest problems to me is visibility in cooler weather and the defroster would not really keep window clear, and small windshield wipers, small side mirrors get some moisture on them and hard to see for making a lane change.

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Due to the salt put on the roads during the winter driving one year round where I live is out of the question.

DDDenny likes this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First generation Falcons or 63/64 Fairlanes can be upgraded with later model parts pretty easily and cheaply. If it will bolt on a First Generation Mustang it will usually bolt on a Falcon just as easily.
    62/64 Novas haven't had the price hikes that the 65/67 have at least around here. A later 250, and turbo 350 and brake up grade would turn one into a car that would keep up with the big dogs but give pretty decent mileage.
    My 48 pickup with a 250 in it got driven 47 miles one way for a year to one job and 36 each way to the job after that. 20 mpg in the process.
    When you get down to brass tacks there are a lot of combos out there that can be driven year round that are Hamb friendly that you can drive to work all week and play show and tell on Saturday.

23. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

I love the prices of classic car insurance but as stated above they don't knowingly insure daily drivers. A lot of these economy type cars you could afford to roll with just regular liability insurance. That's part of the economy.