Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for a bigger velocity stack

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gus68, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Ok. So I've been searching the nets and I just can't seem to find what I'm after. I'm looking for a velocity stack for a 4 barrel, and I see jegs and speedway and all the rest sell the same 8 3/4 diameter one. I'm looking for one that's a little bigger, like maybe 12in or 14in. Oh and the style I'm after is the one with the mesh top, not a small air filter. I figured if anyone would know, the H.A.M.B. would know!

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

You might try a heating and air supplier for reducers you could modify.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You'd be surprised how air flows thru these when you open the bottom of one. Restaurant supply store.
    [​IMG]

fauj, mad mikey, jimmy six and 3 others like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

make your own. I did.

stack.jpg

5. Sounds like you want the old Motion Performance 12 inch flying eye

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have a couple of OLD aluminum "salad bowels" I picked up in a second hand store to make velocity stacks out of. I say old, because anything new these days, is plastic or thin stainless steel; plastic does't hold up, and it's hard to form stainless steel to fit a carburetor. The aluminum is fairly easy to work with, it's soft and easily shapes to fit the top of a carburetor, and they were CHEAP. Just don't raid your wife's kitchen for anything. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

mad mikey, Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  10. guitarguy

guitarguy

Yup, not that easy to find, but you could potentially make one.

Pic snagged from the net:
    Motion Pervormance Fly Eye air cleaner.jpg

The salad bowl was a dyno sensation as tested on Engine Masters show on Motor Trend On Demand. I think it really woke some people up on the way air prefers to flow into a carb. It was a great episode.

mad mikey likes this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

I like the one that came on the '65 GT-350R....;)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

the salad bowl did ok, but the normal velocity stack was better....

think about what the air has to do to get into the carb, it makes sense. Air doesn't like to go around corners, it likes to go mostly straight. The normal velocity stack straightens it out. The salad bowl doesn't really.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

YES!!!! The fly eye!!! I did not know that's what it's called. If I had known i would have been able to find it. Thanx guys!

swade41 likes this.
  14. Man, I remember a friends Fairlane catching on fire with one of these breathers, the gas soaked foam element burst into flames and did a lot of damage to the hood, carburator and wires before he got the fire out, he was lucky someone came to his aid with a fire extinguisher. HRP

mad mikey likes this.
  15. kursplat

kursplat

yup, seen that. one good pop back through the carb :eek:

16. Anything with that top is called "flying eye" motion, edelbrock or the modern velocity stack ones. I have a motion myself, that you can see sitting on the big block and a couple of the edelbrock's that are good for keeping stones out at the track. 20181008_235539.jpg 20181008_235959.jpg

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have seen a pic of one burned.

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I was at a scrap metal yard and they had a bunch of industrial aluminum spot lights. The velocity stack came to my mind's eye back then. They were huge . Make your car look like one of those hot wheels cars of old.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  19. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

RatPwrd, loudbang and kadillackid like this.
  20. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Anybody know where to get replacement foam for one of these air cleaners? Not sure what brand it is.

Attached Files:

Budget36 likes this.
  21. Your best bet is to buy a K&N type lid and trim it to fit, or buy the 11 inch one and make a ring to take up the gap. 798272-3c929011848c0efc13172842310d198f.jpg

mad mikey likes this.
  22. 34Phil

34Phil

23. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Thanks, I'll give those a try.

24. zachary stotz

zachary stotz

I have also had this problem, but wanted to let everyone know that I will be making a prototype velocity stack to fit on a 4150 carburetor for my UMP Dirt Modified. I will be making it out of .090 aluminum sheet by cutting out a truncated cone and welding it up with a 1" flat ring on top with a flat sheet running 90 degrees from the ring on down to inside the truncated cone. This will be designed to use the K&N xstream air filter only. A 4" high stack will have a 45 degree angle down to the carb.

If it holds up all season, at the end, I'll put it on the dyno and release the results from my old filter to the new prototype. If all goes well, i will begin selling these next fall.

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

26. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

A little different, but I wanted decent ram tubes for my triple Aussie BXOV Stromberg carbs (65mm diameter airhorn). Lots of different stacks out there, but none with a fully rolled lip to improve flow (3% better flow for a 180-degree rolled edge, 5% for a 270-degree rolled edge). I ended up using turbo inlet scoops (from evilBay), cut down to size.

Needs filtration on the street, so used some mesh from my local autoparts store and some speedway slip-on oiled foam filters.

Stromberg ram tubes.png

Perhaps could take the top section for the 4-barrel. May not work given the throat size you are looking for, but food for thought.

Cheers,
    Harv

27. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wow I didn't know a velocity stack was that big a horsepower maker. You really must have that combo dialed in!! Lippy

28. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Doesn't every guy want a bigger velocity stack?

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Those old mesh top units whether round or triangular were notorious for catching fire, and burning up hoods, and engines! The foam was flammable, and if you ever had a backfire through the carb they'd ignite.

mad mikey likes this.
  30. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Those lid air cleaners are suppose to really slow air flow down... They claim the Mopar bell style air cleaner is best with a 14 x 4 air cleaner..

Attached Files: