Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical fitting quick change in A model with buggy spring open drive advice

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bundybiker, Oct 13, 2018.

1. bundybiker

bundybiker
    from australia

Hi , i have a quick change rear that i am putting in my 31 roadster , i want to use the original style rear spring , it has reversed eyes ,
    The quick change needs the mounts welded on for the spring , am i right at spacing them at the same distance as on a original diff , and i am going open drive , so what has been used for the " radius rods / ladder bars " and how .
    I have some ideas but i would like some other input from people that have done it before ,
    thanks

2. Check out Hot Rod Works,they have a good system.The A radius rods may not hold up to much power.

bundybiker likes this.
  3. bundybiker

bundybiker
    from australia

Thank's , i wasn't planning on using the A radius rods for this build as they would be a bit on the light side ,
    I will check out HRW

4. F&J

F&J

35/36 rear arms would look great with the spring hanger eyelets trimmed off, but I doubt you could find them in Australia

bundybiker likes this.

5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Flip your spring to the front of the axle. I did that on my Roadster and it works great.

6. F&J

F&J

I just really like the looks of the 35/36's... I think it's because it reminds me of the same shape as a dropped I beam front axle.

I run skinny bias with the big Olds motor & rear, and never bothered with a torque arm. They are holding fine for two years....if I ran slicks, then I'm not sure.

7. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

im using 35/36 radius rods and putting the spring out the back with a winters quick change under a model A. Theres lots of Model As about with quick changes under them with open drive.

I bought a winters which was 57" hub to hub wide. This means that the distance between the spring perches will be different on the winters than it is on a model A axle because of the depth of the drums, I think the spring perches are only going to be about 48" wide at most. However places like speedway sell model A springs which are 2" narrower than std to take into account the smaller distance between spring perches on aftermarket axles.

bundybiker and F&J like this.
  8. bundybiker

bundybiker
    from australia

Thanks Weemark . I will check the width. Cheers

9. I used Pete&Jakes stuff on mine. Don't have much more than 1000 miles on it yet but they seem fine and simplify setting up the rear. 34reassembly2.jpg

bundybiker and Texas Webb like this.