Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Damn I need a heater......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Oct 13, 2018.

1. trollst

trollst

Drove her to coffee this morning, -3 degrees, 28 ish for the rest of you......anyone else drive em when it's cold? DSC07205.JPG DSC07206.JPG

nunattax, putz, AHotRod and 12 others like this.
  2. F&J

F&J

One of your fellow Canadians once told me "summer happened on a Thursday last year"

(I'm sitting by woodstove) ... I suppose I should go do something....

3. Bring in some more fire wood.:D

4. My old sedan doesn't have a heater and I bought one at GoodGuys in Charlotte, N.C. several years ago, then the weather improved and I just forgot about it and like it does evey year the weather changes and it gets cold and I freeze may arse off during the winter.

I decided to install the new heater and couldn't find the box it was in, just by chance when I was cleaning up the shop I spied the box behind a set of vintage luggage Brenda had bought at a yard sale and put on top of a tall cabinet but like most things the weather was improving and me being a procrastinator I decided to wait and it never got installed.

Cooler weather is now a reality and my winter project is a new interior in the old beater, while it's down I am installing a heat & air unit. HRP

nochop, jazz1 and brad2v like this.

5. pitman

pitman

'60's junkyard. Pull out a core & squirrel cage motor. Plumb, stuff up under dash, wire switch and bask!

6. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't make any sudden moves, there appears to be a black bear lurking behind a tree in your yard.

7. pitman

pitman

:eek: One more "meal" and he'll be ready for a winter nap.

loudbang likes this.
  8. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

There are some pretty cool looking heaters from the 40's and 50's that retrofit nicely to a hot rod. My wife found this one at the tradex swap meet a few years ago for $35 and I am installing in the coupe. Added a Spal 5" fan to the back and am confident IMG_1850.JPG IMG_1849.JPG IMG_1846 (1).JPG it will take the chill off those BC winter mornings!

9. heated seats in mine, totally hidden and puts the heat right on you.

Tim, Jet96, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  10. I made sure the heater core in my '59 Ford was good when I had it apart. Coldest I've driven it was around 13. But the heater kicks ass.

11. Heated seats and a heater under the dash. NAPA has a 12 v fan motor that is 95% replacement for the 6v motor. May have to trim the shaft a bit. Also, I think '72 Ford truck had cable controlled hot water valve to turn off in summer. I got the part #'s somewhere, will have to look and get back.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Heater?....Who needs a heater!?:( Westminster bound (1).JPG

Pufff, waxhead, 48fordnut and 29 others like this.
  13. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

image.jpeg Nice truck! Winter came last night, 4 in of snow and 23 degrees. Roadster won't be going any where. Heater wouldn't help

john walker, Jet96 and loudbang like this.
  14. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Put a heater in my coupe. Gotta have it here in BC. Spring mornings are cool and right now you see some pretty good temp swings morning to evening. Wasn’t able to use my vintage heater as the heater core was gonna be $250 to replace/repair so I put a princess auto unit in with built in fan. It sits up behind the dash so can’t see it anyways. Wackdaddy assuming you had your core pressure tested?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  15. oldsman41

oldsman41

I drive mine till the snow flys. My olds has a little original heater in it you toast in it. The merc has original heater in it also same thing it will burn you out.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  16. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

someone mentioned heated seats .... my ot truck has heated seats that are not connected .... just somehow seems dirty or used ... I will take my seat un-heated.

Some really cool old heaters out there, I have something in my 49 that is cool, but have something better in storage will replace it with. You got no heater, maybe you got a hot woman instead you not telling us about?

trollst likes this.
  17. What's "a heater" ?

New Years Day, '15, Joshua Tree, CA, +/- 3000 ft.
    DSCN2177.JPG

Mid November, '15, June Lake, CA, +/- 7700 ft.
    thumb_IMG_0608_1024.jpg

Xmas morning, '16, Wrightwood, CA, +/- 6000 ft..
    IMG_8635.jpg

I always thought one of the guiding principals of Traditional Hot Rodding is to remove most or all un-necessary nonsense to improve performance of the car and only add those that'll enhance it .
    I guess I've never understood Hot Rodding correctly ?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Pufff, continentaljohn, putz and 8 others like this.
  18. Heater? Hell, I don't even have door glass!
    All seriousness aside, I have a NOS Southwind gas heater. I've heard stories about them but I'd still like to try one in a hotrod. Rode with a guy in Germany with a factory VW gas heater and it was so cool. Instant heat and lots of it!

19. You should be able to find one of the '30s-'40s aftermarket heaters in good shape that you can use. That's what I have in my truck. A good alternative is the heaters that came in the '70s Ford Courier pickups that were built by Mazda if you can find one of those in the junkyard. Old postal service Jeeps also used a similar compact unit. The controls are all simple cable type and attached to the front of the unit. '80s Hondas used a cable operated in-line hot water valve that can be spliced into the heater hose and mounted where convenient. Probably many vehicles that use something similar, that's where I found the one I used on my truck.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What ever you do , don't put an electric heater in it, the pros on here already made it clear it wont work.

warhorseracing and loudbang like this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old heaters are cute but too damned spendy to get heater cores for and then you have to deal with the 6 V blower motor.
    Not to say a guy couldn't use the shell and buy a newer heater core that fit and get a 12 V fan that would blow though it.
    My buddy and his wife used to drive their 29 A roadster while wearing their snowmobile suits and helmets quite a bit in the winter. I think they were warmer than we were in the truck with the heater on.
    There are a batch of small car heaters on Ebay (hencho de China) for about 65 bucks that might be worth gambling on for a small interior.
    eBay item number:

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  22. trollst

trollst

Thanks guys, got several early heaters in my shop, but won't put them in, Hadees are my favourite, hot rods don't got heat, it's been a hot rod twenty years now, used to be a fire truck in a previous life. If I drive it long enough, it gets toasty inside, but it takes awhile.
    Life is good, even if you gotta freeze your ass off to enjoy it.

23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Gas heaters are meant to be hot not cool! LOL

24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I got a "Job Rated" heater for my old Fargo which is job rated as well. One day I'll install it. It works off the heat of the exhaust system but not the exhaust itself. Shouldwarmup quicker than coolant.

loudbang and GuyW like this.
  25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Vintage air has a great under dash unit total for everything is around $800.00

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  27. Why would anybody even suggest something like this here ?
    The Hot Rodders in the sky must be shivering of the thought.

What's next ? Suggestions of traditional Hot Rods needing A/C , alternators, automatics, disc brakes, power seats or steering, ... oh wait .... Never mind.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  28. It got so cold in South Central Texas last year we lost a banana tree and all the tomatoes. Then we had to wait a couple more weeks for the landscape plants to bloom again. But to answer the question, yea, we roll the windows up and keep driving when it's cold like that. :rolleyes: :p

lothiandon1940 and belair like this.
  29. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

fitguy ... for sure. Cost a whopping $20 at the local rad shop! Said it was good to go. They told me even if it didn't test ok ... it was not an expensive process to recore. Note ... the shop I went to in the Wack is pretty hot rod friendly so they may have been taking it easy on me. But $250 to recore sounds a wee bit excessive

30. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

They tested mine and didn't charge me but when they found the leak and the condition of the core that's when they said i would have to replace the core entirely. So there plan was to bring in a new core and put the existing tanks on the new core so think there was a lot of labour involved. who knows, at the ed of the day the PA heater that's in now will work just fine.

scullandcrossspaners likes this.