Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie with Buick 215 questions in a 1963 Skylark...

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by MikeDaMechanic123, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Hello all, newbie here...

So I helped my friend acquire a 1963 Buick Skylark that has what seems like apparently a seized engine. There was a lot of work done to this car over the years and it looks really nice and has been painted but it's a project that is not done yet. The guy he bought it from has not really helped as far as tell me if he ever tried to get the motor running so I'm assuming it's bad because he had the hood off the car and I think it was just too much of a project for him, probably money wise...

However I'm doing some research and thinking about getting a Rover engine that supposedly runs because my idea is just to get the car running... So this Rover engine does not include a flywheel, an intake, an oil pan or a timing cover... I'm sure that I can use them off the other original engine but, I figured that somebody ran the engine with low oil pressure because that's what I've run into with other Buick engines, and ruined the Engine until ceased. My big questions are can I use the modern V6 timing covers that are brand new? Because it just seems like there's a difference with the timing mark in a different location which does not bother with me. The other thing is, is there a difference in the flywheels? Basically I want to know if a 1984 Rover engine will be a direct bolt in, but I also have another question...

I was thinking about getting a running Buick Engine with all the accessories because it does not seem like I'll be able to put any kind of engine that has a rear distributor cap because I want to maintain the heat of course, I wanted to ask you if you know if I put a Buick 350 in will a turbo 350 fit or if I use a Buick V6 will a turbo 350 or metric 200 transmission fit? Not only that, obviously will I be able to get it to shift using the original shifter linkage???

Basically I wanted to dump a decent running engine in the car and get it running... I don't know anything about the older Transmissions from 61 to 63 in the skylarks but I'm trying to learn...

2. Bump

3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Firstly this area is for introductions :)

Please read the rules.

You might get better response if you post this on the main board.

Welcome :)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Thanks, have no idea how to do this apparently