Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration FAST!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I was riding in John D'tillios Lister Jaguar in 1959 doing 140 MPH.
    Never faster.
    In my 32 with my flathead, I've had it up to 85, but it'll go much more.
    It'll cruise at 80 all day.
    X2 what Fitness said

2. I believe it because I saw it happen on my 59' Impala. That baby would EAT! You could actually see the gas gauge move with your foot in it. A 348 bored out to 411, solids with 3 2bbls. It had a nose high stance (1963) - Topped a hill @ about 135 and floated the valves because the wings helped lift enough weight off the rear 950s to let them spin. Almost lost it.
    I also had a 327 in a 57' Vette. At about 130 the hood and fenders would move and float around like birds in formation. Only did that once. I did, however, outrun a cop once with it in Garland, Texas.

3. I don't recall the date but we were returning home from the All Deuce run and I was following my pal Deuce Roadster when the traffic in front of me slowed down due to some construction on I-85 and we were held up for about 15 minutes.

As soon as I cleared the construction I nailed it and was trying to catch up with Randy, I never looked at the speedometer but as I sped down the interstate I knew I was more than exceeding the speed limit.

Brenda had been taking photo's earlier in the day and the camera was on the seat and she snapped the photo, when I saw the photo when I was downloading the images it shocked me and after we viewed the photo I could see my death grip on the steering wheel, I also noticed the white knuckles.

I don't know about you guys but had I looked at the speedometer I would have backed of long before I reached that speed.

WARNING - Don't try this boys & girls, I am a idiot and did this without any alcoholic libations coursing through my veins. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I see about a buck-thirty; has a nice ring to it..Lol.

Blue One likes this.
  5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One cool, crisp early morning in the fall of 1967, I was able to get my new Corvette L79 (350 hp 327) coupe to the redline (6000 rpm) in fourth gear on a stretch of newly paved highway south of Royalton, MN. I backed off when the L78/15 tires on the back grew enough to start rubbing on the fender edges. I didn't know what it was until later, but the noise brought me back to my senses. I never looked at the speedometer (just glanced at the tach), so I don't know how fast I was going. The car had 3.70 rear end gears, and if anybody knows the circumference of an L78/15 tire at speed, I could probably figure it out.

6. A 348 at maximum overbore which is, generally, .125 yields almost 369CI. So, I'm raising the brown flag on this one. I won't even start on "seeing the gas gauge move"

tfeverfred and J D Coop like this.
  7. fordflambe

fordflambe

Goodguys events are fun because they let you do a couple of laps on the tracks..........This pic is me and the 41' at about 125 mph. On the corners, at speed, you can take your hands off the wheel and it is like it's on rails..........

When traveling to and from events across the country, if i have to run the freeways (i like back roads more) i travel with traffic. Usually between 70 and 80......
    FtWorth_cropped.JPG

jnaki likes this.
  8. I've been faster, but recently I took my full fendered Model A RPU up to an indicated 105 mph, on Hwy 101. Gives a good education in aerodynamics, or lack thereof. Took a couple of days for my heart rate to return to normal. I had a lot of pedal left, but not much more nerve.

pitman likes this.
  9. 392

My speedo needs a calibration but from a stop to when I backed out it was........crazy shit.

10. upspirate

upspirate

quickest I've been was 135 in my '70 Duster 340 in '72.
    I was watching the road as my girlfriend read the speedo.
    It was still accelerating a little but not much, so don't know the top end as I slowed down for a curve
    Larger rear tire than stock,3.23 rear gears, 3 spd stick, stock 340 with an open top air cleaner.
    A few times on the 1/4 mi strip, just shifted into 3rd at around 105-110 mph with that car

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Oh. I'm sorry. I thought you meant fast. Dalton-Jackson-Fox Flashpoint. Off the trailer at WoS 41951325_10215532562199996_8008752506702135296_n.jpg

Rolleiflex, belair, wackdaddy and 7 others like this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ddddaaaammmmnnn

13. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I don't recall the first year the CA chp first starting using the 5.0 mustangs ...thinking 1985? But I will take this story to my grave. Me and my buddy Robert were driving home from the Sat morning swap meet on hwy 94 in my 69 Z28...In the slow lane with the 302 turning about 3500 with 4.56 gears. Next thing I know a brand new chp mustang pulls along side and paces me...I look over at him and he points straight ahead, signaling lets hit it! I shook my head NO! He looks at me again and smiles and vigorously points straight ahead...I thought FUCK IT, Slammed it into 3rd stood on it wound it to 7500 banged 4th, Wound the speedo down to the AC emblem . He was in my rear view till I ran out of gear:D At that point I let off and he passed me giving me the thumbs up! My buddy is screaming at me telling me I'm a crazy mother fucker!:cool: No F ing BS .

loudbang likes this.
  14. Sorry, that was the info I was given when I bought it at 19. Either I was lied to or it might have been a 409 block. As for the gas gauge movement I stand firm.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  15. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

I can tell you 2 1/2 things for a fact!
    1 the fuel gauge moves real quick at 171 on a turbo charged Hayabusa motor sickle
    2 at 171 on shitty I72 between Springfield Illinois and Decatur Illinois the corn goes by fast as ole super man can fly to lois lanes for a quicky!
    .5 the bugs go down smoother than a double shot of Gentleman Jack after taking down a 9 pointer half hour before dark the last day of hunting.
    Jeff

16. I had my Challenger TA up to 135 and it was still pulling when I hit traffic.

17. 80 in karts, 120 in my t bucket, no guts to go faster, 135 in 70 1/2 Challenger TA and 145 in 06 Dodge Magnum srt and it was still pulling.

loudbang and olscrounger like this.
  18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 140 at the Petty deal in Vegas-30 laps was fun! Help a friend with a 66 Chevelle-have seen it at 161 in the 1/4-lows 8's. 95-100 in current 40 coupe once- fast enough for me.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  19. GuyW

GuyW

LOL - "Just because we're dumbasses doesn't mean that you can be dumbasses, too"

But driving fast is fun... kool photo

20. RodStRace

RodStRace

900 Ninja - didn't look down 'till I was letting off, and it wasn't topped out... 125 MPH
    OT drag car first time out ran 10.78 128 MPH (all other runs were 1/8th)
    Friend's Pantera - it had a poorly calibrated KPH speedo, so we figured 4500 in 5th = ~148 MPH
    Modern stuff (with modern tires) can cruise all day at speeds I wouldn't try in a T-bucket, unless that '23 is very properly built and tested, and the road is great.
    I did ride in a friend's 23 that he had driven to many low 9 second 1/4s.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

22. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Rich: Details? Bonneville, of course, but like :who/ when/ what happened(besides the obvious, of course)!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I smell what you are cookin Carl. I find that the older some guys get the faster the cars were back in the day.:rolleyes:

24. 1543093300281-571468640.jpg
    Fastest for me was in the late model Dodge. Had to find out, held it to the floor on a deserted highway for a couple of miles. Saw the North side of 160. Very intense. '06 SRT8

loudbang likes this.
  25. rgdavid

rgdavid

Been 176mph on a motorcycle,
    The strange thing is at that speed there is a "peacefullness" , perhaps its a because you know that you could die at any second and you are in the "now" , no future,no past just the now.

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

fastest I ever went in a HAMB friendly car was around 85 in my 350 powered 49 Chevrolet 4 door sedan. visor. spotlight and all the bumper guards, it looked like a stocker. while 85 is not that fast. it was way faster then the six cylinder 53 & 54 Chevy car and AD truck I passed. this was on the way back from Paso one year.:)

when I was 18 I did 100 mph in my 1969 GTO with 4 other high school kids in it. car had bald recaps on it. thinking back that was not such a good idea.o_O

went 120 on highway 1 on my Ninja 900 near Half Moon Bay. I had a guy on an SRX 6 Yamaha (600 single)chasing me through the twisty's and I could not shake him, so we get out to the open highway and I get up to about 80 real quick and hold it, eventually he caught up so I took it up to 120. a couple miles down the road I see emergency vehicles with lights flashing, when I got closer there was a car in the middle of the road obviously broadsided, 100 feet of skid and Kawasaki green plastic parts all over the road. another 50 feet ahead was the body of the guy on the Kawi under a yellow tarp. :(

I rode the rest of the way to Santa Cruz doing the speed limit. that was the first and last time I did over 100 on that bike. I always liked the acceleration of the bike rather than going warp speed on the top end. magazines of the day said it could do 0-60 in 2.7 seconds and 10.3 second quarter mile... with a 140 lb professional racer on it.

loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  27. IIRC, That rider was Terry Vance.

loudbang likes this.
  28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Dalton-Jackson-Fox. Flashpoint A/BFS. At World Finials this year. On backup run at 427 mph a body panel came loose and rubbed tire. Tire blew, car turned and you see the result. Rolled for about 1 1/4 mile. When it stopped Bob Dalton, the Designer, builder and driver, got and walked to the rear to turn off the electrics. Then he waited for the rescue cre. Helped them load it on it's trailer. Then drove himself to SLC for scans and xrays. No damage

RodStRace, belair and chevy57dude like this.
  29. wow! glad he was alright.

loudbang likes this.
  30. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Rich Fox : 2X on "glad he's all right", but also cudos to the photog who got the "airborne" shot!!!! Would be one HELL of a poster in the "safety booth" at a trade show!!!

loudbang likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.