Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How do you decide which direction to take a build? My new 52 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mattimus, Oct 12, 2018.

?
  1. Kustom

36.4%
  2. Low Stocker

63.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mattimus

Mattimus

First off, I'm not new to building cars up from scratch. I started with junkyard VW's 20+ years ago. VW's eventually led to American cars, which led to motorcycles, etc.This last summer I got the itch to build another cruiser for the wife and I. So I sold a few of my bikes and started searching. In the beginning of August I picked up a 1952 Chevy Styleline Sport Coupe Deluxe. Wasn't much to look at at first, but I could see some potential. I've had 2 54 Chevys previously, so I was familiar with the car in general. So I get it home and start the clean up process. Typical rust spots, body mounts and rockers and a few tiny spots on the doors. No big deal. I gut the car. I want to do this car justice and I want to do it right. Pull the body off the frame, strip it down, bag'n'tag everything. A week ago I got it 'dustless' blasted and here I am STILL trying to decide which way to go.

I love kustoms. I love clean stockers. I already plan on lowering it (air) with updated brakes all around. But the problems is how do I decide which way to take it? I realize its the builders choice, but I've been sitting on the fence for too long and could use some suggestions.

The car itself is pretty clean for a 55 year old car. No major rust or damage. Oddly enough, the only bondo on the car was from a previous rocker repair by one of the PO's. I want to chop it, swap the headlights, lower the taillights, remove most of the trim, etc., but one cannot deny a clean lowered stock car. The car came with a trunk full of mostly straight trim(which appears to be all there), a visor and misc parts. I already had skirts in storage. So I could easily go either way. Stock could be done way quicker, but whats the fun in that?

I should mention that I do have my own welder, english wheel, planishing hammer, and other tools needed to go wild. They aren't Baileigh tools, but they can get the job done if needed. I am just hesitant to do glass.

uEqIzPj.jpg side.jpg 25wWyAG.jpg

RMONTY and juan motime like this.
  2. I want to chop it, swap the headlights, lower the taillights, remove most of the trim, etc.,
    Sounds like you are leaning towards a kustom...I'm interested in the mechanicals you are planning:
    (I'm looking at buying a 1950 Deluxe myself, which is currently sporting an older 80's Street rod type set up)
    engine/trans combo?
    steering - are you going to bag it, but keep the stock OEM set up, or do you have to use a MII set up with air bags
    ( MII : which is a dirty word around here)
    interior plans?

ultimately - do you want a hot rod or cruiser? The need for speed (or not)might steer you into one direction/other. Maybe you wind up with a gasser! I recently drove a 53 Dodge and a Shoebox Ford then decided I didn't want an old slow car, just an old car. But that's just me. Of course there's OT V6 Camrys out there running 14's so "slow" is a relative word..

I watched some videos of people who had old Chevys to see if I could imagine myself driving that car...
    hot rod

stocker
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCXQfr0QfzQ

for perspective...
    https://www.caranddriver.com/review...-and-performance-review-car-and-driver-page-4

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  3. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

why not drive it...do a little something...drive it some more...do something else...drive it...etc..? You'll eventually see where YOU want to go with it.

4. oldsman41

oldsman41

I go with my gut on that most cars you just get a feel for what is right. Of course I’ve been building cars for going on 60 years.

5. Mattimus

Mattimus

I anticipate that I will be getting the complete Gambinos extreme air kit for this one. So yeah, MII (I purposely left that out because of the drama). I already have a 71 Nova rear and a 350/350 combo collecting dust that I will rebuild and use. Interior will be stock-ish. I have both the front and rear seats that will get covered once I pick an exterior color. Only addition is A/C because this is Texas and I will drive this a lot. Ultimately it will be a cruiser, unless I decide to change up the motor later.

Because at this point its not even close to drive-able. Would be way easier to chop it and mod it while I have it apart instead of building it to drive than tearing it down to cut up afterwards. My problem is that I love all sorts of styles. When I was younger I built an old beetle that I tried to incorporate too many styles into (cal-look/race-look/custom) and the end result had me selling it less than 3 months after completion. I'm not looking to make that kind of mistake again.

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

I think the proper answer to this question is " What floats Your Boat" what anyone here thinks/suggests is his/her opinion which should mean nothing to you. If you are trying please everyone here, "Good Luck" as we all have our own ideas/opinions on the how/what/why and what's Kool. Looks like you have a nice piece to start with, Have Fun, Enjoy, and Good Luck with YOUR ride.

7. I can't 6 cylinder any more,,,just can't. Even if it's just a mild 305, it's gotta have a V/8. My last 52 was a styline 2 door sedan with a newer 235/3 speed. I lowered the back, slapped a set of full moons on it and cleaned everything spotless. I was raising a family while living in an apartment with no garage but had dreams of a small block/4 speed. Traded it off for a car with a V/8 and used that car to pay closing costs on my house with a garage.
    The last one I did was a 50 delivery.....406/4 speed all built in my garage with mild custom touches like 50 Pontiac taillights, shortened 50 Pontiac rear bumper.
    If I had a coupe, I'd love to cut the top, lower the suspension, 57caddy caps, wide whites, more 52 grill teeth, nose and deck but no phony spotlights, fender skirts or antenna's. I've never used "bags" but I'd be tempted on a car like that. 52chevy_1981.jpg deliveryN48chev.jpg

8. squirrel

squirrel

keep a half a dozen cars around, then you can have them all....stocker, hot rod, custom, cruiser, etc.

Nostrebor and scotty t like this.
  9. I’ve always liked a mild chop and mild custom
    Lowered
    And they lend them selves to unlimited wheel choices

Your doing it right by removing the body and doing everything right
    So take your time and think about it

Pick one style YOU like and go with it.
    Almost anything you do will look good

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2

11. With a big V8!

olscrounger likes this.
  12. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

If you lower it and install all the stock trim and accessories you just built a traditional low rider ! Nothing wrong with that, they are very cool in their own right. Just not my style. The chop has to be just right on a coupe or they look squashed. Do your research and build it to your vision. Most of all have fun! Larry

13. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You must have had a picture in you're head when you bought it, otherwise why did you buy it?

Black_Sheep likes this.