Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Too Far With the Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Oct 12, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Too Far With the Car

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

brad2v, belair, 302GMC and 6 others like this.
  2. 392

Great story. Killer pics.

brad2v and loudbang like this.
  3. missysdad1

missysdad1

I remember the story well...and I remember thinking, "So what?" Didn't seem all that strange or noteworthy to me. After all, doesn't everybody have hot rod parts all about the house...?

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heck I still have parts sitting in the dining room! Can remember building a VW bug motor in my bedroom one time! Just part of this thing we do.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Lots of old guys will recognize the engine stand's origin ...

chiro and Ebbspeed like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey, who you call'n old:mad:
    Those cannibalized shopping carts are why groceries cost so much!

302GMC and belair like this.
  7. saltracer219

saltracer219

The first time I met Dennis and Debi Kyle, Bruce Geisler took me to their house. Dennis had his Orange 32 Roadster in the build stage, they had Roadster parts all through the house. Many years later they still have it and still drive the hell out of that car!

8. 40oz

40oz
    from kAnSas

A bit here and a bit there,
    I place my parts around the house,
    with great thought and great care.
    The bumper removed in the shed
    finds its home under my bed.
    The light that used to shine bright
    sits on the shelf by the book Christine.
    Damn, that looks tight!
    The radio from my coupe
    looks back at me from the kitchen table
    while I eat my split pea soup.
    I roll over in my bed with blankets so soft and bunchy
    and what do I see on the nightstand?
    Its the knob from my 4 speed Muncie.

Truck64 and J.Ukrop like this.
  9. catdad49

catdad49

Joey, I know you wouldn't fib about your Mom, but We Need pics! Don't tell, but there's some Model A parts in my room right now.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    J.Ukrop likes this.
  10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

chevy57dude and catdad49 like this.
  11. I can relate, although my builds in the house were confined to a 1956 Panhead which I built in the kitchen and parked in the kitchen due to not having anywhere to keep it. HRP

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Best I can come up with now, are the two sets of aftermarket, large journal, SBC, connecting rods sitting under the bed, and all the "new" lights/license plate/connectors/etc, for my car hauling trailer, sitting in a box under the kitchen table. I don't dare bring very much into the house. "That's what your garage is for", says the wife. In my teens, I had tires under my bed, 2 sets of rebuilt double-hump heads on the bookshelf covered with a blanket and the stereo sitting on top of it, a BBC crankshaft in my closet, and many small parts that were easily "hid" from my Father; he did not approve of my automotive interests at all. My best friend at the time, tore down his Honda CB 305 with Scrambler pipes in his brothers vacant bedroom. When his Dad found out, he had to get it all out of there, "NOW"!!! He wound up taking it all to the Honda Shop (no real Honda Dealerships at that time) for re-assembly; he'd only tore it down to paint the frame, and pretty much forgot where everything went back together anyway. That cost him a few dollars. I have boiled out and rebuilt a couple of carburetors in the kitchen, when no one was around. That's about the worst for me. ^^^^That's a NICE GMC P/U Truck you've got there^^^^!!!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. While in college, maybe 68 or so, I was building my '59 Corvette- our apartment was full of car parts- stack of rims and tires in corner of kitchen- fresh intake and carbs on table- baked the header paint in the oven- boxes of parts scattered about the living room- didn't seem odd to me but room mate not a car guy-

37coupeute likes this.
  14. Right now there is a 62 Triumph frame hanging from the ceiling in my kitchen, a set of 34 headlights on the shelf by the couch and some fender well headers up above them. The dining room table is covered with new parts organized for the 283 rebuild I'm about to put back together. On the floor in the living room is the fresh 39 trans waiting to go back into my 39 right next to a really nice little Stewart warner south wind heater. On the bench by the front door, is the fresh tri power with 94's and Grace & Company air cleaners waiting to get bolted on top of that 283 and a WC4D intake I just picked up a few weeks ago. Oh and the new 39 fuel tank on top of the dog crate....and the newly powder coated front axle and wishbone in my bedroom....and the flat head 2x2 intake on my dresser next to a few sets of 39 deluxe gauges... this is what happens when you are obsessed with this stuff and your 2 car garage is full. you keep the nice stuff inside and dirty stuff outside. And parts in the house rule.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, sounds like a single guy to me.

Roothawg, VANDENPLAS and catdad49 like this.
  16. Single, yes but my two sons tend to agree ( I have them full time)..... I may have infected them with this disease very early on though. People tell me "you're never gonna have girlfriend with all this car stuff in here." I say, "I'm married to the junk."

catdad49 likes this.
  17. silverdome

silverdome

Pair of Electroline 2200 head lights in my closet and interior parts in a tub in the spare bed room. Other miscellaneous small parts on the mud porch. My wife gets agitated occasionally but she still puts up with me after 33 years.

18. HA! I had my 370 Pontiac motor in the family room behind my recliner with a blanket over it. Mrs Rocky had no idea it was there. A little later I took over the family room as an addition to my garage. The engine/trans etc stayed there 'till I installed them in the frame. 370inlivingroom.JPG garage1_15_1.jpg

19. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

1997, I started dating this woman that was a Jr Olympic figure skater. The first time she entered my house she caught eye of the front end chrome from the 48 Buick convert in the living room and the 3rd bed room with a 78 BMW R/100S, an 850 Comando, 2 Champion Framed Yamahas
    A 360 Astro & 490 Maico.
    She said
    Your Insane
    I replied, that used to be my nick name.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Baumi, 302GMC and Nailhead Jason like this.
  20. catdad49

catdad49

Joey, nice Jimmy! Those old trucks were built to be haulers. I didn't doubt you for a minute, but even mods have to show their stuff.

21. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

One card table leaning innocently in a dark corner will hide 4 GMC heads or cranks …
    Just remembered - put a couple layers of license plates under the parts so the carpet will be OK if you ever have to move them.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    flamingokid and Ebbspeed like this.
  22. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Back in the early 70's, I was living in an upstairs apartment with my girlfriend.
    I was driving a small Chevy powered 56 Chevrolet.

Long story, but I needed an engine. With no doors on the carport that she was able to get, my only possibility for the assembly, was...upstairs in the living room. She was "sort of" ok with it since I vacuumed and did a little dusting almost daily and twice when I worked on the assembly. She didn't have to beg me..!
    Like the O.P.'s picture above, it sat for a short while at one end of the couch (have 35mm photos somewhere). When I had everything bought and laid out and ready... Two of us lifted the short block, with a third guy below me with his hands on my lower back for some support...we headed off down the outer steps to the ground with no problems.
    We used a 4" x 4" and chain as a hoist, two of us lifted the short block into the engine bay.

Ah...the good ol days..!

Mike

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Gotta have your priorities right. Car parts everywhere in the house.
    Wife of 35 years has always been cool with it.

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I rebuilt a carb for a Ford 8N tractor back in the spring, sitting at the kitchen table while the wife was cooking supper. Of course all I was doing was putting the already cleaned parts back together, but I was at the eating table inside.
    And yes, I've stored a few things in the house until I was ready to use them, carbs, aluminum intakes, distributors, etc.

26. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I store stuff in the house as well. Just took 40 front fenders and dash out of living room and installed on the car. The hood is still decorating our master bedroom. This has gone on for many years while building a car. Wife has no problem with it.

flamingokid likes this.
  27. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I don't understand the question. Everything's perfectly normal here....but you can easily spot what's mine and what's hers, hahaha

28. flamingokid

flamingokid

A few years ago I had a bone marrow transplant and spent almost 4 months in the hospital.Being that I was in so long, I brought some books that I hadn't had the time to read and since my hospital didn't have any " Anti gun" signs on the doors, I brought a few 1911's to build. After my initial 3+ weeks in the BMT, I was moved to a hotel room inside the hospital and this gave me privacy and freedom of movement. 60 days later, they allowed me to take day trips to the outside world and I used my first taste of freedom to hit Scheels, Cabelas, and then a local gun range. When I told my doctor about the days adventure, she said "Did you rent a gun?" I said "No, I brought several with me to build :) " She was astounded, but she didn't know me well back then..... I am a rep in the optics business and while killing time , I started a pretty healthy Craigslist business out of the hospital. Not to be outdone, a paint and body man that was going though transplant at the same time started repairing iPhones and iPods and it was a common sight to see us in the hospital lobby, conducting business with people we met on the internet. Our doctor used to cock her eyebrow at our commerce activities, but the best one was yet to come. He bought a shortbox GMC off of Craigslist and after he got it parked in the parking garage, we went out to pull the passenger fender. We saw this little BMW come towards us and we recognized our doctor. We jumped behind a van and after she backed up and didn't see anything, she took off. We were asked about it the next day and we came clean. We had been spotted carrying the fender through part of the lobby while taking it down to the maintenance shop ( when you live in a hospital for that long, you become friends with everybody that works there) He got rid of the rust , mudded and primered it, and we put it back on. Are you planning on painting it here?!" She asked. We looked at her like she was a dummy and I said "Do you see a paint booth here?" Even car guys have their limits ;)

KoolKat-57, typo41, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

*At the time, my Mom had a late-model daily driver. She’s since switched over to the H.A.M.B.-side and drives an ultra clean 1961 GMC pickup, complete with the stock V6 and a four on the floor. But that’s a story for another time…

Nice truck.
    Can we see pictures of the stock 1961 V6 ? :)

30. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

I see nothing wrong with that. Rebuilt a few Harleys in the living room, back in the day. Landlords never approved, well worth the deposit.

mnjeff likes this.