Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who has the lowest static 49-54 Chevy? No air ride or hydros. Let’s see !

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by dragginwagon2, Feb 22, 2018.

1. dragginwagon2

dragginwagon2
    from Ohio

Looking to see who has the lowest static 49-54. Want to know how you achieved it. My goal is to lower my 54 as low as possible and still ride good.

2. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

My '49 has a 3" drop all around. 3" Lowered Coils with corresponding Shocks, and 3" Lowering Blocks with corresponding Shocks.
    Anything lower than that and the Price goes up! Drop Spindles, Lowered Leaf Springs...
    However, I've seen 3" drops that sit much higher, so I suspect new Leaf Springs may also be involved?
    I haven't road-tested the '49 yet, but I am concerned about clearance.

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

3. 'Mo

'Mo

To go really low, you want to step the A-arms, as did Larry Watson.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of How-to links:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-month-stepping-lower-a-arms-king-pin-style.317696/

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/garage/49-chevy-custom-build-stepping-lower-arms-38668

Dropped spindles will take you down farther, without so much as cutting your coils.

To drop the rear this low, you will be looking at a frame notch (Again, as did Watson).
    Gambino Customs manufactured a kit to really simplify the procedure.

If using your original drive-line. you can go with blocks and spring leaf removal. (Dropped springs are available, but mixed reviews on effectiveness AND customer service.)

Note that Watson inverted his bumpers (which lowers them, due to bolt placement), further emphasizing the result. ;)

A word of caution... When going super low, rear tire changes become a major project

(Personally, I roll with dropped spindles and 3" blocks.)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My brother's '54 210 from a few years back. All Fat Man stuff. Rode great, sat low. Neat car. 022.JPG

5. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Very Neat Car!

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here is the 52 Chev I built back in the eighties. 54 uprights, stepped a arms, and cut coils up front. 3 inch blocks out back. Drove beautifully... man I miss that car[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. dragginwagon2

dragginwagon2
    from Ohio

I put a mini notch in the rear already. I plan on 3” coils up front and stepped A-arms. Out back I’ll use 3” blocks and possibly lowered leafs. I know if I get real low I’ll have to modify the drive shaft tunnel. I bagged my last ‘54 on stock suspension but I want this one static.

8. dragginwagon2

dragginwagon2
    from Ohio

C1320DFA-CC54-4205-A331-6D2E06C3D92F.jpeg This is how mine sat with stock running gear (still 6v) with 3” blocks out back. PO torched front coils so it’s unknow drop in front.
    I’m in the process of a small block swap. I installed a ‘57 Chevy rear end this weekend.

9. silvertonguedevil

silvertonguedevil
    from Vale, OR

That looks killer!

dragginwagon2 likes this.
  10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Not a great picture but, My 52 has stepped arms, 54 uprights and cut one round off the stock coil up front. Out back I used 3 block and had pulled a leaf out of the stock pack in this picture. Also my fender skirts had been extended flush with the body. Look real close you'll see the black primer fogged in. Tires were Denman G78 15's. Could have gone lower up front but wanted that reverse rake. 20181011_215836.jpeg

11. 'Mo

'Mo

I love it!
    Which leaf did you pull out back? (I've got 3" blocks, and need to be lower.)
    Also, were the skirts lapped, or butt welded?

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

@Mo been awhile I think it was the shortest, maybe even took 2 out. Actually went with Posies 3" drop sliders after this and they raised the car. Had to pull 2 out of that pack too. Added air shocks as well. The ride is ok, logged alot of miles but the stock leaves are pretty narrow. I plan to redo that stuff for something more stout eventually.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. scott51

scott51

Fatman drop spindleswith lowered springs relieved of x1 coil up front and 3” blocks, dearched leaf springs with reversed eyes out back. Flip the bumpers and you’ll be sitting like Watson’s Grapevine.

Ride on mine is firm like most lowered cars but totally fine, just don’t plan on getting over any judder bars or in any driveway that’s more than a gentle incline without doing some damage. Seriously, I’m talking completely beached and or back bumper damn near ripped off. Heavy duty castor wheels on the rear cross member helped a lot but still plenty of no go areas, an amusing fiasco to remove the rear wheels and some rubbing on the front fenders with 670-15 Firestone’s at full lock.

Think I’ll add a simple air over leaf setup out back just to get me in and out of driveways

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

@'Mo the skirts are butt welded. Cut the old lip off, formed a new one and welded it up. Used guide pins and spring loaded slide latches to mount them up. My brother did them for me. Also added 50 Dodge tailights and some other custom work on the rear end since that picture was taken.. sorry for the thread hi jack

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. dan31

dan31

I went with 2" posie drop springs in the rear with a 2 3/4" block and a Gambino step notch . All that puts me at the scrub line with 205's on 15" wheels. The front is [gasp] a mustang 2 with cut coils and 2" drop spindles. Rides perfect with no bottoming out but the driveshaft appears to have rubbed a little at some point. Car sits pretty much level with maybe just a little rear rake .

16. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks, Lone Star Mopar.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  17. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

After a Summer of driving, I'm very pleased with the results. I'm sure the fully-inflated Cokers help suck-up the bumps!

Rear Beauty Shot.JPG

18. dragginwagon2

dragginwagon2
    from Ohio

Any pics ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

54 no air ride, pulled some leaf springs made lowering blocks c-notch rear cut the front lower a-arms, reiwelded the ball joint mount up 2 inches took out one coil and a lot of tunnel raising for the shaft tube. Rode like a dream at any speed. original drive line. 15 inch wheels and white walls. poor mans lowering kit for my son. xtreme.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018