Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Questions on build for gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A_Burly_Wind, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Ive seen a few sets of nice shape used canfields online. Ideally Id like to run AFR's but they are very pricey. Looking at the running some heavy ported world cast irons (seen decent numbers made on these and retains a bit more period correct look) or if I do go aluminum Ill run RHS

2. Also never heard of equal lengths killing power and torque? I could be wrong Im not a professional by any means but I always thought equals helping with scavenging and promoted better numbers?

loudbang likes this.
  3. If you're addressing me,...yes, equal length is a good start, but you mentioned zoomies. Standing by my post.

4. Wow. Tell us more about your car . Pics, time slips, etc.

5. Just seems like they worked well on high horse dragsters and such and theres a few guys in SEGA runnning them so didnt see a drawback

6. I second this thats quite impressive

7. Also in case anyone was wondering the car will more than likely never be ran in a 1/4 mile, SEGA runs 1/8th and my local track is 1/8th so reasoning for the gearing. And although i plan to run SEGA stuff thats nearby the car is more for me to just thrash hard at the local track whenever I get a free weekend.

8. Dragsters are totally different animals. Less weight, direct port injection, etc. Of course blown cars don't have to worry about scavenging in the exhaust.
    As far as the SEGA guys..Not doubting there's a few, but I'll bet they're not the guys standing in the photo session at the day. Just a guess.

9. old sparks

old sparks

don't know how to post pictures. my car is 1800 lbs runs anra open wheel and will be at famoso this weekend. .040 350 chevy owner reworked camel hump heads 12.5 compression two afbs on a sheet metal manifold isky 540 lift flat tappet cam. use the afbs cause I like the idea of metered secondarys. burns charcoal grey exhaust color with brown plugs. use 100 octane avgas for the lead content.afbs are 625 cfm used on early Chrysler. valves are the biggest damn thing I could fit in the head. don't know what they flow. will be seen on the anra event pictures. black bantam with metalflake (red) stripes called hillbilly deluxe

10. Interesting , but we're talking apples to oranges here.
    SEGA C/Gas is 10 pounds per cubic inch, so we're talking about a 3000 lb car, 300 cubes, stick shift only, pro tree.
    So how is the o/p going to be somewhat competitive, or even in the same time zone, without at least 13 to one comp.?
    I do agree with one thing . As the c/r goes up, the cost goes up exponentially. But, that's the name of the game over there. That's what people pay to see.
    Good luck at B-field.

11. old sparks

old sparks

I stand corrected. didn`t know it was weight per cubes. assoc. must have some major grenades. hat rules out he 2 ways to go fast. hp or less weight. not trying to be a know it all. good luck on your build. question does the assoc allow all fiberglass cars?

12. Good response to the doubting Thomas, apples, oranges or grapefruit

loudbang likes this.
  13. No allow glass bodies allowed. Glass fenders and the like are ok as long as they are stock styled.

My engine builder is working out a few more things for me but it should be coming in at 13.5:1 compression. Hes done about 60 of these stroker setups and really knows his stuff on em.

Theres also some weight breaks and a few other ways around some rules for the builder. The way my cars setup itll be able to run at 2850lbs race weight

14. Who's Thomas? Friend of yours?

15. old sparks

old sparks

thanks for the response on the glass bodies. reason I asked as I have a 33 willys i`m thinking of putting back on the track. it`s getting to be a pain climbing in this car and a door car would be easier. down side is b or c gas is mo money

A_Burly_Wind likes this.
  16. No problemo bud, they have a pdf file of the rules on their website you can download.

I wish I could get a one piece tilt glass front end for my car, no one makes one though so Im going to weld my front end up and make it tilt somehow so itll be easier to work on in the pits.

17. southcross2631

southcross2631

I know that you have researched your combo, but your math just doesn't add up. 408 cu.in. 10 lbs per cube is 4080 lbs. Minus 50 lbs for cast heads is 4030 lbs. Minus 200 for mechanical stack injection 3830 lbs.
    You can run one of the higher classes with that combo, but not C/Gas at 2850 lbs. My 297 inch Ford , .040 over 289. will have to weigh 2970 unless I go cast heads and stack injection. Then I can weigh 2720.
    You can get a half lb. per cubic inch by using an FE Ford.
    Please explain how you plan on running that size engine in C/Gas at that weight so I can build a bigger motor.

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Fiberglass bodies are allowed if they were original equipment or if they were available in 1967.
    Quain's Willy's was a glass car.

19. Well my original weight calculations were for a 289, and honestly i hadnt thought about the change for the larger displacement. Now my car weighed in at 2900ish m. Thats without ladder bars, roll cage, bumpers, or the rest of the interior parts, and sans the weight if the sbf so i may get it to where it needs to be by the time everything is on. And i saw that it said a glass body was allowed under certain circumstances so guess thats how, if its a old period body.

Now for the sbf. I very much want to run a 408 after seeing what my engine builder can do with them, but i think were going to keep things simple and keep it at 351 cubes. Do a nice rotating assembly with some higher compression and a set of worlds cast heads ported some. Itll be reliable and make enough power to really have fun. And moat of the time it wont be at a sanctioned race itll be local stuff so if when race time comes at a sega event and im not top of the pack itll be alright, im in it just to have a good time.

Thanks for all the insight guys yall have been awesome