Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Looks like a real car now. I'm thinking of a 4-door myself for general driving around, bone stock.

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Wow! Just now saw this after thinking about your build and looked this up, actually looks pretty cool with the steelies and whitewalls,
    ....any updates?

3. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

4. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Nothing really to update. Been short on cash lately and busy with classes but i got bit by the car bug again today. something about the fall i guess. I gotta find a decent carb and get this 283 to idle by the end of the year, that's the goal. Probably going to try to sell off some of my unused parts and find a decent carb. What would you guys recommend? I want a period correct carter but i know that's going to get really expensive really fast so i'd rather just have something cheap, reliable and easy to work on.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I could always try to rebuild one of the quadrajets, or i've got that 57 olds carb but that also needs a rebuild and may be missing parts.

6. flatford39

flatford39

Holley...You won't regret it. They are plentiful and easy to rebuild. I think a bunch of us told you this before. I guess you weren't listening.

7. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

right, but which holley?

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Universal 1850's are plentiful.
    [​IMG]

9. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I've got 2 of these in the shop, and one on my 283. Fantastic carb!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  10. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  11. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

and do you think i should spend the extra on an electric choke, or manual? I'd have to buy all the brackets and the cable for the manual, plus it would probably end up being a major PITA, but maybe you guys would have some words of wisdom about one of the other.

12. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.

13. YES! Keep looking around, I told you you would find a cheaper one. Get the electric choke, wire it to a hot key on wire, like the radio circuit, wire and your in business. You don.t need one with a automatic transmission kickdown with your standard so you may find it cheaper yet. You're doing good, keep up the faith.

chryslerfan55 and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Did this 57 and models like it come with a manual choke to start with?

15. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

RaginPin3appl3, I just read thru all 57 pages and have to give you an "atta boy" for keeping at it. PM me as I have a Eldebock 600/625 carb with electric choke that I took off my 350 SBC in my '40 Coupe in my Avatar and replaced it with a Fi-Tech EFI.
    Carb was good but I wanted "instant" stating in all weather. The carb is good and with an adapter you could bolt it right on. I can also send you a Teflon lined braided hose (I work for a manufacturer) that will hook up to the carb and all you need is an alumium fuel filter with -6 ends to thread onto the SS braided hose. Just get me you address I will send it to you.
    Also all the guys had you replace the fuel line and now the fuel pump HOWEVER no one had mentioned to clean everthing related to the Gas tank (new) fill tube and gas cap before installing gasoline and trying to start engine. I know its not glamous or gives you instant gradification but cleaning up the parts with a wire brush, some solvnents and painting with a rattle can makes the car look clean and you can see if there is leaks/cracks in the component before you try to start or move on to another part of the car.
    The brakes/backing plates should also see attention, by cleaning with a wire brush (use a mask to avoid breathing brake dust) paint, install NEW shoes (you used Blaster lube so the shoes may be ruined, replace the brake lines (I believe the tubing is 3/16" Not 5/16" as somone posted early on in this thread) make sure the tubing is secured using factory style clips or similar clips. I am a big believer in cleaning up the car so you stay cleaner, can see what you are working on and it will bring you a real sense of accomplishment. I have been fooling around with these old cars since 1961 or there abouts and I am still going at 71, don't give up and work on a systematic schedule that you can list tasks and cross off as you complete them, the endorfins are great and push you along whenever you hit a snag. I hada '57 2 door post backin '68 just before I went into the Navy, miss that big old steering wheel!
    Good Job and PM geoford41 I will even pay the freight you are a "good cause"

henry29, ring gap, Budget36 and 4 others like this.
  16. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Forgot to advise you to replace the Rubber flex lines for the brakes (3 total I believe) as others had mentioned early on when you were thinking about the brakes. Also if you decide to get an alumium gas filter with a replaceable/cleanable sintered bronze filter see if they sell one with 1/4" FNPT threads and then adapters that are 1/4" MNPT by -6 JIC males
    When you PM me I can give you more info.
    Summit Racing has these items.

17. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Thank you for the tips! Tried to send you a message but it tells me your privacy settings don't allow it.

18. DO NOT buy anything from this seller! They sell JUNK. I bought a supposedly refurbished 4150 700 CFM from them and it looked like it was made from leftover shit. I waited too long to take a good look at it and couldn't return it.

If you have a carb shop local, take the Q-Jet to them. Or the Holley shown at Summit looks good, standard service on a Q-Jet was starting at $250 10 years ago. Another good option is a 2-barrel intake and Rochester 2GC.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

When I suggested the Holley 1850 it was because used one's are cheap and easy to come by and they have fewer part's to deal with and understand when rebuilding. Not because of a loyalty thing.

20. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Get an Edelbrock 1405 electric choke 500cfm. Bolt on and run perfect. You can pick them up used for $75-150.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

The problem with a used carb is that then i’m back to where i am right now. A mystery carb that may not even work right without a rebuild and even then i can’t even get the car to run long enough so i can tune it. So used is pretty much not an option unless it’s one that i know will work and hasn’t been messed with

22. RMONTY

RMONTY

Maybe I misread but geoford offered you a free carb with him paying for the ride, that he said was working when he took it off. It may not be exactly the same thing, but I bought a used Holley from Frankenrodz here on the HAMB, bolted it up and fired up my freshly rebuilt 235 with not a single adjustment. He said the carb had been sitting for 9 months or so if I recall correctly. Even a new carb will need to be adjusted to any engine it is installed on in all likelihood.

Am I missing something here?

flatford39 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

The Edelbrock 1405 is pretty easy to rebuild. Not a lot going on inside of it

flatford39 likes this.
  24. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I second this... anything free is worth a shot. At the very worst, you have a parts carb

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and warhorseracing like this.
  25. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

The carb is a 1406 (electric choke) complete with a eldebrock Jet kit instruction manual and I offered a ss braided line so he will not have to worry about leaks. i have not seen a PM from the young lad. By the way its a very usable carb not hard to put new gaskets in. Not full of junk, i have a clean fuel system ) poly "Tanks" all new Teflon braided hoses in my current fuel system and it is exaclty what I used b4 the Fitech conversion.
    Just trying to help the guy out.

26. Geoford41 that is a very generous offer. Good on you to try to help out the young man.

greaser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Geoford41, I'm trying to send you a message but it's not letting me, says I'm not allowed to. I'd like to take you up on the offer, just can't get the message with my address to you.

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@geoford41 RaginPin3Appl3 is trying to get a hold of you.

29. Geoford41 no one can talk with you via PM due to your privacy settings.