Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vacuum wiper tricks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Most Jap Diesels [Nissan Navara, Toyota Hilux, Mitsy L200 etc] have a vacuum pump driven off the alternator.
    They can almost "suck start" a Harley

2. Does it actually rain in AZ? Lol
    Reading this thread with interest. Bought a NOS vac wiper motor when I was a teen. It worked then, but sat ever since. With a tunnel ram, no wiper motor would fit on my firewall. Blower leaves just enough room to install it. It wouldn't even be on my radar, except for the unreal amount of rain this year. Guess I'll go through it and pop it on. This may appease the rain gods and dry things up around here.

Los_Control and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Shoe strings, tie one end to one wiper, then roll the windows down a bet, run the shoe string through the inside around to the other wiper arm. When you need wipers, just grab the shoe string and pull it back and forth.

wraymen and squirrel like this.
  4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. My 50 Plymouth was factory equipped with a Trico 6 volt electric vacuum booster mounted on the firewall. It was toast with missing parts when I purchased the car. Going to Trico website showed they no longer offered these. I located one on ebay where the seller stated rebuild at an insane price & blowing up the photo's it looked like all he likely did was wire brush it & rattle can the mounting bracket. Could not see new gasket lines on the body so I passed & went to Jegs & purchased one of their 12 volt vacuum boosters about the same size & shape of the old Trico and all is well with my wipers. I think it was right at $200. Worked for me. Jimmie

5. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Screenshot_2018-10-11-08-21-09-1.png vacuum pump from 6.9 diesel in Ford

6. squirrel

squirrel

The LaSalle has a vacuum pump on the fuel pump, which seems to work.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll probably get the motor apart again this weekend and spend some time treating the seals on the flapper.

My brother did the first attempt at fixing the motor, and I made another attempt at it, but it still has a pretty good sized leak.

We're driving to Chicago, then down to LA, then back home. I expect we will encounter plenty of rain on the way. We also need to rig up a blower to defog the windshield....

302GMC likes this.
  7. Joe H

Joe H

8. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

I added a Hella electric vacuum pump, from a Volvo brake booster, to my Willys. The Willys vacuum wiper drives two wiper blades. The vacuum wipers worked poorly before (as you might expect). The wipers work much better with the vacuum pump on - it has a separate switch. However, it still is not as good as electric wipers. But it is a help. Also I used to use the luberplate white lube in the wiper motor but found that after some years the lube would start hardening, so I switched to vasoline.
    Don

302GMC likes this.
  9. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

>> "We also need to rig up a blower to defog the windshield...."
    I have 3" and a 4" bilge blowers that I can donate. These are 12 Volt, co-axial fans and use standard flexible hose. The 3" is unused and the 4" is low miles. They might let the smoke out running on 6 Volt...

Attached Files:

10. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Thats great to know, is a awesome thread, I also liked the comment of adding a vacuum canister.
    My current project has vacuum wipers and I have been thinking if maybe will replace or keep.
    Same time, I live in west Texas and do not expect to need them much. Will follow the tips in this thread.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks Russ....it's a 12v system now.

I got the seats finally (after they went through a couple different owners), stuck them in the Volvo, they work great!

12. ...don't take the vacuum motor apart, just squirt some WD40 into the tube where the vacuum hose goes, work the arms back n firth,..maybe a coupe times, this will swell up the leathers and it should work fine,...if it don't you mite have really bad leathers that are out of shape, then you mite have to dis assemble the motor.

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A 12 volt hair dryer might fill your defroster needs, one worked well in my VW, you may need two though.

14. Gofannon

Gofannon

I think it helps to have the old style flat wiper blades. The modern style, because they are better at wiping, will drag more. It shouldn't matter if you have a perfectly operating vacuum motor, but who has one of those?

15. Just ordered the Newport electrical wipers (thank’s Bill) as I don’t always have sense enough to come in out of the rain.

Blower motor with tall cam and I just can’t make enough vacuum to be dependable

16. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Delivered

squirrel likes this.
  17. Don't forget to check for vacuum leaks at the switch/valve too. You can hear the hissing if you stick your head under the dash (if you can get down that far, otherwise use a stethoscope or a piece of tube stuck in your ear!).
    The Vacuum canister works too, just confuse everyone and stick a "Nitrous" decal on it