Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1931 Caddy build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevy31coupe, Oct 11, 2018.

1. chevy31coupe

chevy31coupe

Ok, so here's where I am at: I sold my '31 Chevy coupe thinking I'd get a '32 Chevy roadster. Or even a '31 roadster. Results? Either a $30-40K restored car or $15K for a pile of rusty sheetmetal and a good luck wish, or $15K for one of those Experimetal bodies and new fenders.

None of which suit my style of finding a semi-clean original car, throwing a SBC in it and driving it. Now called patina cars, it's pretty much how I have done things for 25 years.

So - with the above results from my Chevy search, I jumped on an extremely clean 1931 Cadillac convertible coupe, when it came up for sale. You can google pics, but it's the '32 Chevy's big brother. The car has no rust and all new wood. And the chrome has all been done. Plus it has suicide doors and no fender mount spares.

But now I need help! I can't just throw a small block in it and a set of Americans. And I also need confirmation that it's not too big of a car to hot rod. Current thoughts are 472 Caddy, painted wire wheels, and red primer (since I have some old pics of the car in red primer and it looks good).

The pic here is my old Chevy plus the sedan I still have.

Any thoughts, inspiration, encouragement, and opinions please!

*Disclaimer - at current time, I have a guy who builds my cars. My building is full of the materials that pay my bills and my time and energy is limited at this point in my life. Mark treats my cars like his and the build quality is great. KIMG1610.jpg

2. chevy31coupe

chevy31coupe

3. RidingMechanic

RidingMechanic
    from Cincinnati

I hate to be that guy, but I would have a hard time doing anything other than a restoration or some sort of era correct custom body treatment. "Traditionally" speaking, nobody built these until the 70's resto-rod craze?

Maybe have your guy get it running and assemble it into a stock driver, then trade up to the car you really want?

On the other hand, a more hamb friendly option would be a 37-48 Cad flathead, LaSalle 'box, later wire or disc wheels and a subdued 40's color....I could imagine someone back in the day building something different to drive out to the desert to race if they didn't want a bellybutton car. Patina'd out like a rolling bones car, it might make a convincing story :D

Flop, Texas Webb, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I hate those giant Caddy motors... I'd go with a 390.

5. Stooge

Stooge

i might be a little biased since i've always had a pretty big affinity for the big cars of the '20s and '30s, but i think its cool as hell! Nothing against sbc's and I have used them, but a big Cadillac like that deserves something else, whats in there now, an L head? probably pretty expensive to build, but a later year Cadillac flathead v8 would be cool and have the look and a little more power. I like Wire wheels, get the body one color, (or 2 for fenders?) and just keep it a simple

6. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Well, you asked for opinions so here's mine. So what if it is a Caddy, get after that thing and build it into something that you want. Don't let the nay-sayers convince you otherwise. A Caddy convert of this era will make most people, other than the dyed-in-the-wool restorers, pant with envy.

I know because I tore into a '33 Buick 90 series Victoria and turned it into a hot rod. It had a 138" WB so it was one huge ride. A chopped top drove the restorers insane and I just smiled. If you would like, PM me and I'll send you some photos of my old Buick.

Another factor in helping you make the decision is the simple fact that restoring a Caddy such as you have is going to be a very costly proposition. Building it as a hot rod will be far less costly as you don't have to worry about the cost of fixing or replacing original, and very rare, parts.

Get after it and don't forget to start a thread on the progress.

Texas Webb and Hank37 like this.
  7. hmmmm stock vs restored
    31 caddy.jpg
    good looking car
    its worth more restored than custom
    how much is the car missing? how much can you do yourself?...........
    I could see a mild custom with a proper stance and wheel combo maybe slight chop. The cars length would keep me from going fenderless
    a flat head caddy would get a lot of attention

might could modify it to look like the v16 caddys of the same time
    1931-Cadillac-V-16-convertible-victoria.jpg

Stooge likes this.
  8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Looks like a real good project, classic design. It deserves paint, I can agree with the late model Cadillac drive train but a car like that needs paint. Already has the wood and chrome done so that is a big savings, new chrome on a dark classic paint color would look great.

9. chevy31coupe

chevy31coupe

So, to hopefully answer some questions:

The engine in the car is the original V-8.

All the wood is new. There is no rust and other then one small tear in a bead, the fenders are great. All the chrome has been done. I have all the parts in boxes to put this car together. So, I am saving all the time, expense, and hassle of wood replacement, rust repair, and finding/making all the small doodads. I just need to open boxes and figure out where to bolt what part. Heck, I even got the rest of the leather hides that they used to cover the seats, plus a bolt of interior fabric.

I was thinking red oxide primer and a black top. I have the original top for a pattern.

Since it is not a Chevy, and is a larger car, I believe it needs a big motor and think a Cad in a Cad may be the way to go. There was some talk of a diesel belching black smoke from a 4" stack coming through the hood and cruising around Hershey AACA, but I am still not sold on that idea. A few have mentioned a '68-72 Cad 472 and that you can get cams, intake, headers, etc. But it seems some of you like the idea of an earlier Cad engine? My requirement is that is has to be loud and a little crude/rude. Not welder-up style. But more that I want to be able to beat it a little, cruise down the highway at 70, sit in traffic, and have the people next to me at a traffic light have to yell to be heard, "What the hell is that thing?"

I am not interested in doing a restoration on this car. It is either for sale as it is (and that is only if I find a Chevy) or I will hot rod this.

It will be full fendered.

A few have mentioned wires. And I am not sure what else would work. I like the Americans on my Chevy's but I hate the 18" ones and this car can't work with 15's.

My boy's Model A is scheduled to be done by May, for his birthday. This car will not get started before that, so I have time. Just trying to get some ideas and inspiration to start planning the direction.

Thanks!

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

First of all, Welcome to the HAMB! The Caddy is a nice looking car, but finding wheels and tires that fit those fenders may the a tough project and will really effect the over all look. I'd flip it to help fund something more in line with known Hot Rods. Bob

11. This car doesn’t need shock or over the top done on purpose customization/rattyness

This style stands on its own. I love primed hot rods and nicely done rodents but that seems like a waste for all the styling this car has

Flop and blowby like this.
  12. chevy31coupe

chevy31coupe

See the pic of my old Chevy at the top. That was basically a solid old car with a 350 and 4 speed. It sat right. It was loud. It was a little crude. But it was great. I'd turn the key and head on down the road. I didn't have to worry about wiping it down before I drove it, when I got there, and again when I got home. It was just pure fun.

So my question is - can this Caddy be built like that but just scaled up? As in bigger engine. Higher build quality. Louder and faster. Again - NOT welder-up style. Can a car this size and brand make a bada** hot rod? In my sedan, my one knee is against the shifter and the other is against the window crank. I have one position to keep my feet and it is not that comfortable. My coupe had buckets and seemed to have more leg room, but it was a tight squeeze to get three pedals in there and be able to get my boots from one to the other. This Cad sits like a couch. I've got all the room for 2 fat guys, a sack full of burgers and fries and maybe even a small child or dog and that doesn't include the rumble seat.

So, what do you see this one as, Anthony? If it was your's what would you do with it?

And 37Kid - Nah - Chevy is as close to traditional as I can get. My boys are Ford, but I am GM or offbrand. I have a Ford cabriolet that I could build a lot cheaper and easier then even a Chevy. It's just not my thing.

Keep them coming! If this was your car - how would you build it?

Thanks!

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I think you have a plan. To all these guys who say Cad Flathead, try it yourself and write back. You have the right idea. Go with what you want.

14. All I have to offer is inspiration... Your roadster’s body is a thing of beauty!

Steele Rubber Co. built a business off the back of this car’s restoration. None made rubber weather stripping for
    the Caddy which has been i the gamily since purchased new. They turned their wire insulation business into one of
    the standard bearers in the restoration hobby...

1931_Cadillac355_V12_MS_F2a copy.jpg

15. You have a unique car there and has the golf club door to boot.If the flat V8 is good for a build that would be the ticket.Deserves to be ALL Cadillac,which ever you decide.

16. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Sorry to be the lone dissenter here, but I would find a Chevy! That car is too nice and complete to fuck-up. Some cars should not be modified and that's one of them. I'm not afraid to hot rod a rare car, as I'm doing a '31 Chevy cabriolet and pops has a rodded '31 roadster. I've also had a Chevy phaeton, landau phaeton and a '33 Buick. but I would leave that one alone and drive as an org. "survivor".

Flop and blowby like this.
  17. I see a classy car. The scale of this car is not a 32 ford. Think about a customer in 31 that had the funds to build a caddy
    Full fendered, slight chop, slight drop
    Look at some of the European cars of the same era.
    Wheels? I could see the stock wires being used They could be widened
    The front axle could be dropped
    I personally would not want a modern independent under it
    Think about a hot rod that a guy would wear a suit while cruising it

18. F&J

F&J

I doubt anyone into typical hotrods would call it "a bad ass hotrod", due to the size and that classic styling.

There is a high end build dealership owner that was posting on the AACA website, and he claims he found a niche market/business for huge early cars upgraded like you propose. He had some name for them, I forgot.

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Barge O Mod? I like the idea of later Cad drive train but would feel better about it starting with a car already missing such.

20. european cars had longer noses and fenders that set a little higher on the body, lower stance and lower roof lines
    this caddy cold be beautiful if approached in a coachbuilt style
    all the pieces are there they just need a little tweaking
    bugatti.jpg bugatti2.jpg
    these 2 Bugatti's have that look
    imagine your windshield chopped and the roof lowered into the body
    and the height adjusted, it would have a similar look to the car on the left
    that caddy would snap some necks at shows not because its absurd but because its cool