Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why wheel bearings are greased

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trulyvintage, Oct 9, 2018.

1. you paid someone to do a brake job.........?

2. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did they teach you how to avoid dropping the newly packed bearings? I have a hard time with hand to spindle action.

loudbang and blowby like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

Nope! I do my own.....

4. Ever heard of "Film strength ?

5. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Seems to be popular on US boat trailers, from what I've seen online. I can kind of see the point of pushing fresh grease through the bearings regularly, especially on boat trailers that get driven so far down the boat ramp so the axle(s) are below the surface. Around here we usually stop with wheels & brakes above the water line instead, boats load and unload fine anyway…

6. 1996 F350 Quad Cab Dually 7.3 PSD

Front rotors are one piece - I replace rotors & wheel bearings & pads when I have the front brakes serviced

Calipers have to be compressed to remove & install pad - I don’t carry tools for that.

I do pretty much all of my own service work on my truck & trailer.

Jim

7. lonejacklarry: Like I stated "Back IN 54" I wuz 21 just barely legal to have a beer,regular beer not 3-2.. Never dropped a thing back then ,not so much taday. Hell I'm barely able to pick anything up. Items that is.ha ha

8. Quote:
    Calipers have to be compressed to remove & install pad - I don’t carry tools for that.
    Come on man improvise, string or wire or just squeeze them back after you open the bleeder.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Well, then: "Take it easy, Greasy...you've got a long way to slide.":D

pitman and Blues4U like this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Great idea...and ABOUT TIME!!!

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm not familiar with those specific calipers, but compressing calipers to install new pads isn't difficult, a C-clamp has done the job for me too many times to count. Maybe there's something about these calipers that prevents that? Anti-lock brake systems may have some other considerations.

loudbang, pitman and TTR like this.
  12. Might even suggest to surrender his AS* certificate + badge to nearest dumpster and contact school for due refund ? :rolleyes:

Bearcat_V8 and Unkl Ian like this.
  13. ... and on a roadside emergency service, almost any pry-bar, screw driver, etc will likely work too.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  14. Most new cars ( and I’m talking late 80’s to present)
    Require a tool to compress the rear pistons in the caliber, the piston is threaded to apply the parking brake
    Some cars need pressure and turning to press the piston in
    Some just turning
    Some also require the “ electric parking brake” denergized.

And don’t get me started on abs and traction control “ warnings”
    New cars suck for the most part from a service stand point

BAFBD021-C4A8-4DD8-9348-678C9604D226.jpeg DD415543-BCD5-4974-87B5-29163ED0833F.jpeg

15. OK !?! o_O:confused:
    I was (mistakenly again ?) under the impression this site is dedicated to '65 and older vintage car discussions and stuff.
    OTOH, that "Hokey Ass..." obviously covers and can mean more than I can comprehend. :rolleyes:

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I gotta see one of these miracle Swedish boat trailers ......

17. 2old2fast they prolly bend or tip up & have rollers.
    VANDENPLAS I did the wifes park avenue with out anything but a C clamp. That is all 4 wheels.

18. 6E7D6A4B-A2A8-4E0C-AB28-D80AE1ABEC4D.jpeg

No clue what your trying to say.
    And the OP was defending why he did not do his own brakes and some folks where confused as to why he needed special tools.

What year park ave and did it have the parking brake integrated in the caliper?

Anyways to get more on topic with this site
    Drum brakes are better anyways and so are roller bearings !!

Lol

19. Well,...
    ... if OP would've disclosed in his opening post that this discussion is about some nineteenninetyshit (OT ?) vehicle, I would've stayed clear and saved my two cents. :rolleyes:
    Teaches me to chase rabbit holes, right ? ;)

Unkl Ian likes this.
  20. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Doesn’t matter out there somewhere is a “ase mechanic” who thinks grease is not really meant for lubricant... he could be working on a model a he will think the same thing

21. It is possible that a bearing could get dirty, most likely from a tub of contaminated grease than anything else, or some crud gets knocked off when you tap in the oil seal. I now buy my bearing grease in the smallest possible container and don't dig into it with dirty hands, never put any excess back into the tub.

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  22. sunbeam

sunbeam

The thing wrong with the zerk where does the grease go if over greased into the brakes.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  23. This was about grease !!!
    In true Hamb fashion the pepper and fly shit turn the focus.
    First to brakes, then service, then it's about @TTR ,,, again. No disc brakes are Pre 65 and no 65 service manual states a procedure for retracting calipers. You'll find nothing there about pry bars or scwerdivers or C clamps or twist in pistons.
    So you're right @TTR but still hoisting your own petard.

Have something interesting to add about grease or wheel bearings ? No need to pepper it up into a brake job or roadside work or shop procedures

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  24. Looks like a sex toy gone real bad.... but more lube is better than NO lube....