Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest MHRA Rod Repair Shop have they ever helped you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 10, 2018.

1. I was reading another thread here about things that go wrong with our cars while traveling around and I was reminded of the group of guys from Michigan that show up at NSRA event's and offer help and assistance to rodders that are having problems with their cars and help get them back on the road.

They have a trailer full of tools, jacks, welders and just about everything to do the job.

Several years ago at the Nat's South in Knoxville, Tennessee I experienced a clutch rod failure and I was able to use the tools and a jack to remove the clutch rod and with their assistance a new one was made.

Last year my pal James had a bolt break on his front suspension and again the MHRA guys came to the rescue and made a temporary repair that would get him home.

I don't have any idea how many people these guys have helped but it's rare to walk by their area there are not 5 or 6 cars being worked on, and these guys roll up their sleeves and do the work if the owner is unable.

Have any of you guys ever been helped by these guys? HRP

wicarnut, jim snow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. primed34

primed34

Yes once in Columbus had a tail pipe bracket break loose from the frame.

jim snow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. 5window

5window

No, but I see, and watch them work, at the York NSRA show all the time. Wonder just how long they've been doing it and who funds their efforts.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Harold that has Windsor Fabrication is a big factor in MHRA

5. The Michigan Hot Rod Associations was founded in 1951 and the MHRA Hot Rod Repair started in 1972 the set up a area to help people from out of town at the 3rd NSRA Nationals held in Detroit.

In 1973 they hit the road and built their first trailer and have been at all the NSRA events.

They have a bunch of sponsors in the industry & MSRA clubs help also, they have a donation jar set up at their location. HRP

jim snow and firstinsteele like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

I believe they were at Back to the 50's this year also.

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

They helped me out back at the 1988 Nats in Louisville when i broke a shock mount. Pulled it off and they welded it up. Some friends have used them for assistance at other events through the years. Always nice to have them around at the meets.

5window, jim snow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Street rod nats 1985 or so....was driving a buddy's T-bucket with an extreme driveshaft u-joint angle and it lost a U-joint , U-bolt. They jacked it up and scrounged around in their used stuff to find one. No charge but they did take a donation.
    Wish I'd had them fix the left kingpin that constantly creeped up because of a defective lock pin.....kept a claw hammer under the seat to bang it back down every 150 miles or so.

9. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Great bunch of guys who have helped everyone for a long time!

10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

A few of my friends have used their services in the past and couldn’t say enough about how much they appreciated their efforts and tools.
    If you ever need them make sure you’re generou$ with your gratitude.

11. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Yes, I have used them years ago and this group do a fine job. Nothing but good things to say about them. This is a great service to have available if you have a problem with you Hot Rod.

12. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

They helped me replace a rear wheel bearing at the NSRA Nats North two years ago. They went out of their way to help and I really appreciated the effort they made. Thanks to them again.

HOTRODPRIMER and jim snow like this.
  13. jim snow

jim snow

Although I have not used this service it's good to know they are there if you need them. Snowman

Gman0046 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have been going to back to 50s since 91 and they have always been there. Never needed them but am glad there is an outfit like them to help when someone does need it. Larry

HOTRODPRIMER and BJR like this.
  15. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes I have at the NSRA nationals in St. Paul many years ago I had the timing chain break on my Pontiac powered 39 Ford. I did the work on the car but the use of the tools was a life saver. I put in a donation to them and every time I see them at an event give them a donation

i.rant and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

They helped me with a broken shock mount.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. I found the history in this article. HRP

Summary of Purpose and Background of Michigan Hot Rod Association's Rod Repair Shop

The Michigan Hot Rod Association's (MHRA) founding in 1951 was based on the need of the youth in Southeast Michigan to have a safe and organized place to race their hot rods on a drag strip. MHRA founded the Detroit Autorama Hot Rod Show in 1953, and has held the Autorama for over 55 years. With the profit from the initial Autorama Hot Rod Shows, the MHRA constructed and opened their member owned drag strip in New Baltimore, Michigan in 1957, and operated it for many years.

As the private sector opened drag strips in the area and the members of MHRA became very active in the new Street Rod activity that was growing in the mid 60's, MHRA looked for an activity to support the growth of the Street Rodding Sport. In the late 60's and early 70's, MHRA held Rod Tours that were weekend trips that used Street Rods to tour to a distant city for a weekend of fun. A repair vehicle followed the touring group.

In 1972 the National Street Rod Association (NSRA) held their 3rd annual National event at the Michigan State Fair Grounds in Detroit. To accommodate the out of town participants, the MHRA set up a facility at the State Fair Grounds to clean up the cars after their trip to Detroit and to supply equipment and workers for an emergency repair shop at no cost to the participant. The idea to provide emergency repair services was vital to the participant who had traveled far and away from home to the event. In these early days, most of the cars were made by their owners in their home garages and it was not uncommon for parts to break on trips.

Since the nationwide Street Rod activity visited a different big city each summer for their National events, the MHRA decided to construct a Rod Repair Shop Trailer to be towed and operated by volunteers from the membership of the MHRA at these out of town events. In 1973, the first Rod Repair trailer went from Detroit to Tulsa, Oklahoma for NSRA's national event. The emergency repair services were still provided at no cost to the participants since MHRA used money from the Detroit Autorama Hot Rod Show to pay the expenses.

As the requests for the Rod Repair Shop Trailer increased, so did the content of tools and equipment that went to the events. The original 3000 pound trailer, from 1973, was replaced with a new 9000 pound trailer of custom design in 1989. The Rod Shop trailer can provide on event site support to fix any basic system of a car to make it safe and operational again. The Rod Shop Trailer has been taken all over the USA to automotive events for the past 46 years. Currently, the Rod Repair Shop Trailer and Crew go out of town five times each summer to NSRA events in Knoxville, Tennessee; York, Pennsylvania; Louisville, Kentucky; Kalamazoo, Michigan and to the Minnesota Street Rod Association's (MSRA) "Back to the Fifties" - in St.Paul, Minnesota (5000 miles of travel).

The seasonal operation expenses are offset by donations of sponsors, street rodders, and the various Associations that we serve. Capital equipment (tools, trailer, and tow vehicle) is provided by the Michigan Hot Rod Association.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.