Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Test/drive old cars/people problems...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenhills1952, Oct 9, 2018.

1. The international signal to notify other motorists of your distress and need of assistance is to pull off along side the road and raise the hood. If you need help that's just what you do.

I test drive stuff daily, sometimes up to 10 times a day. Old New nice decrepit expensive hooptie custom builds race cars motorcycles you name it. Now if it's a really good day it will be a bunch of different cars, or if it's a bad day it will be the same damn car.. And yes they need tweaks and re tweaks but I've not found a need to stop and offer up the international signal for a motorist in distress and in need of assistance.

every once in awhile I might stop my motor cycle under an overpass if it's raining buckets. Nobody seems to bother thinking I need help.

You know it really pisses me off when I'm out on my boat in the middle of nowhere,,,, I get out away from everyone on pourpose,,, just to play with my flair gun. I like to watch my flares and before you know it every damn jack wagon within miles is headed my way, asking me a million questions and distracting me from my flare gun fun. Ughhhh no I don't need help but if you have a couple extra flares ,,,

wraymen likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  3. arthurC3

arthurC3

Thank goodness the "Law of Attraction" can be easily realized if you open your mind. It cannot be taught or bought. Experience the benefits, and the world changes.

Sent from my LG-H830 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  4. insinna

insinna

I love it...your on the side of the road with issues so often that people asking if yoy need help bothers you....and you judge their abilities?....what would age have anything to do with their ability to help you out? Ive got a 17 year old daughter who would make your head spin with what she knows....if you dont like people bothering you maybe fix it right the first time...or make your adjustments at home....and people blame the youth for our problems

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Mike

Mike

That's some screwy logic there. No one can know for sure if they can be of any help until they stop and ask.

One person could have no tools or parts with them, but they may be able to offer the use of a cell phone or a ride somewhere (like a parts store)and be of help. Another person could have a bunch of tools and parts or a can full of gas in their vehicle, but if the don't have the exactly what is needed, they won't be able to help.

By your logic, neither person should stop and offer help, as they can't be certain that they could be of help.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    mountainman2 and dirty old man like this.
  6. Stop wearing dresses and people will not stop.

7. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I have to say everything was fine until the last three posts!
    The other day I'm test driving...all is well until it starts missing, really bad, so I pull over. A nice straight spot off on a road with maybe one car every few minutes.
    To test the theory that a 17 year old or anyone else could fix it next time maybe I'll just wait and see what happens.
    I got out, thinking fuel or spark. Without tools I made a few quick checks. Choke was off, give it gas accelerator pump squirted. Hands on distributor cap I got zapped! I shut it off...cap was loose, one spring cap, one hidden underneath had popped off. I snapped it back...ran like a top all the way back home.
    I'd love to see a 17yo or 99% of average people do that in 2 minutes.
    The people stopping for assistance all had their cell phone appendages at the ready, ready to call a tow truck!

LAROKE likes this.
  8. Terrible80

Terrible80

9. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Ya Know !!!!!!
    Never mind, not worth it.

dirty old man and low down A like this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

There was a little bird who did not want to fly south for the winter.

So he stayed up North. Then the cold winds started to blow.

So he had to fly South late. As he flew his little wings froze.

He crashed in a cow pasture and was close to freezing to death.

So this big cow comes by. She cant pick him up so thinking quickly she takes careful aim and drops a big cow patty on the little bird.

The little bird, now warm, comes to and realizes he is covered in shit. So he starts to scream and holler.

A fox hears the little bird bitching. He comes to the cow patty, digs him out and then eats him.

Morals....
    1. Don't take an ill advised and unprepared trip....
    2. People that shit on you are not necessarily trying to hurt you.
    3. People that dig you out of shit are not necessarily trying to help you.

How this relates to this topic....
    Is the guy that stops, the cow or the fox?
    The cow may top of your tank with 2 parts varnish gasoline 1 part water from a can that been in his truck bed for 2 years....
    The fox will separate you from your wallet, car and even your life.

The little bird should have wore a flight suit and been packing a .45.

11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

As I was driving up AL Hwy 5 between Marion and Centerville, I was going through the Talledega National Forest. This is a stretch of 30 miles. Right in between is a pull over with pick nick tables. From here it's about 15 miles to Marion, South or 15 miles or so to Brent, North.
    I'm tooling along about mid-night.
    At this pull over is a car on the roadside with this chick is holding a gas can waving......I slow down.
    Out of the corner of my eye I see the two men crouched down at the opposite side quarter panel.

As I stomped the the gas and engaged the passing gear, I thought..."Well, they're screwed."

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Truck64, williebill and dirty old man like this.
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

^^^^

I was gonna mention this. VERY common way to carjack unsuspecting Good Samaritans. Use good judgment. Because of the risk in some locales, the best anyone is likely to get from some is a call for a tow truck.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like the HAMB has finally run out of things to complain about so we have started complaining about good things

14. A couple of years ago I was having issues with the spark box in my 55. It would randomly just die and refuse to restart for 10 minutes until the box cooled off. I got it fixed. Anyway, I had it die on me about a mile from a local cruise night. I had at least 5 muscle car driving chainer mfers roll right past me with my hood up and not even slow down. One even had the gall to walk past me at the cruise and say "Sorry I didn't stop but I was worried I'd overheat if I stopped". WTF. That was basically the point I stopped being social at cruise nights. So if the OP's case is the alternative, I'll take it every time over being shit on by cruise night dorks.

wraymen likes this.
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

A couple of years ago I took the 30 pickup out to the So Cal Speed Shop open house, on the way home I had a failure (fuel pressure regulator sprung a massive leak), and pulled to the side of the road. While sitting there, calling AAA and waiting for them to arrive at least a dozen, or more, hot rods passed by me, looked at me, and kept going, none stopped to check. Kind of a disappointment. I did have AAA on the way, but they didn't know that.

Truck64, wraymen and Mr. Sinister like this.
  16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Not saying we don’t have that happen, here in Oklahoma, BUT, it’s kinda understood that everybody here is also carrying a gun. Kinda evens the odds.
    Like in my previous post about folks stopping, if there are five guys there, you can bet there’s seven or more guns in the gathering.
    I had folks stop and help when I had a rifle up in the back window rack of my pickup. It’s just a way of life here in the country, cities life may be different.

Bones

17. Back in the last century. The gang of thieves at Cave in rock would lure passing flatboats out of the swift part of the river into the shallows with a nakked pretty girl on a gravel bar waving like she was in distress. Then they killed the boatmen and looted the cargo. They tried that with Mike Fink. Being a good rifle shot he shot the girl. Then went down river a few miles. Tied his raft to some trees and went back in the dark and ambushed those thieves.

dirty old man, Truck64 and GuyW like this.
  18. First off, I enjoyed the bird story.
    I was just wondering if you called the cops after avoiding the ambush in this post. I hate to think that some less observant good Samaritan got jacked or worse later that night.

dirty old man likes this.
  19. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Sounds like a bird brained story to me. What's a pick nick table... I've never heard of one.
    While we're on the subject of fables, how about this one?

A lone elephant wandered the forest looking for friends. She came across a monkey and asked, “Will you be my friend, monkey?” “You are too big and cannot swing on trees as I do. So I cannot be your friend”, said the monkey.

The elephant them came across a rabbit and asked him if she could be his friend. “You are too big to fit inside my burrow. You cannot be my friend”, replied the rabbit.

Then the elephant met a frog and asked if she could be her friend. The frog said “You are too big and heavy. You cannot jump like me. I am sorry, but you cannot be my friend”.

The elephant asked a fox, and he got the same reply, that he was too big. The next day, all the animals in the forest were running in fear. The elephant stopped a bear and asked what was happening and was told that a tiger has been attacking all the animals.

The elephant wanted to save the other weak animals and went to the tiger and said “Please sir, leave my friends alone. Do not eat them”. The tiger didn’t listen and asked the elephant to mind her own business. Seeing no other way to solve the problem, the elephant kicked the tiger and scared it away.

She then went back to the others and told them what happened. On hearing how the elephant saved their lives, the animals agreed in unison, “You are just the right size to be our friend”.

Moral: Friends come in all shapes and sizes!
    The girl certainly may have needed gas, you assumed the two guys were there to Rob you. You could have simply rolled the window down a little with the door locked, asked her to toss gas can in bed, you could return with gas.
    So in your narrative you suggest morals...

1. Don't take an ill advised and unprepared trip....
    2. People that shit on you are not necessarily trying to hurt you.
    3. People that dig you out of shit are not necessarily trying to help you.

1. That means never ever test drive an old car because something may happen. We all know even though we check everything before leaving, nothing could possibly malfunction on a 60 year old car.
    2. Heed your advice...assist a girl with a gas can needing fuel.
    3. If you're alone at midnight, take your pistol!

dirty old man likes this.
  20. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

You know it really pisses me off when I'm out on my boat in the middle of nowhere,,,, I get out away from everyone on pourpose,,, just to play with my flair gun. I like to watch my flares and before you know it every damn jack wagon within miles is headed my way, asking me a million questions and distracting me from my flare gun fun. Ughhhh no I don't need help but if you have a couple extra flares ,,,[/QUOTE]

It's actually illegal (and dumb) to shoot flares when you don't need help.

21. There was this Goat Man character that mostly traveled the southwest in the middle of the last century Named Charles McKinzey. He traveled around with a wagon pulled by a large number of goats. When he stopped for the day He would light a pile of old car tires afire to attract a crowd, Then sold postcards and trinkets to the crowd. Unfortunately on several occasions he was badly beaten and his goats harmed. Humans some times can be the most dangerious critters on the planet. There was a dumb truck driver at a truck stop. who let a lot lizard in his truck. He was hauling three brand new JD tractors. She shot him in the leg with a small caliber hand gun. and let her male accomplish in the truck . they drove away some distance unhooked the trailer and drove back to the same truck stop and parked his truck. he was there naked gunshot bound with duct tape for three days before he was found. His trailer and the Tractors where never seen again.

22. Hemiroid

Hemiroid

Yeah, what he said...
    Our old cars are conversation starters...

23. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

This thread had me remember courtesy cards, car clubs back in my youth (my first club was '56) had cards and encouraged members to stop and help motorists and when done, give them a card hopefully garnering good will towards hot rodders.

CudaChick1968 and Chili Phil like this.
  24. It's actually illegal (and dumb) to shoot flares when you don't need help.[/QUOTE]

I think he was being facetious. Hood up, international signal of distress.

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The day they all pass you by is when you'll really need to vent, to something? I know religion is a no no but I'm not religious person so bare just one moment to allow an illustration thru words. Some think a person from above comes to our aid when it's most needed. I say it's about accepting what truly comes our way and how it's accepted (it's true source) is what a true blessing is all about.

The37Kid and CudaChick1968 like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Some people dream of having a running car to take down the road and check for electrical malfunctions. I'd be grateful if someone stopped with a fire extinguisher.

Bob

Chili Phil likes this.
  27. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Damn. Y'all accepting hard-workin refugees from Commiefornia? Sounds pretty down-home to me...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  28. Another word of advice--
    When you're out riding your bike, and you've just traveled 176 miles since last fill up when you find out you should've only gone 170 miles or less between fuelings.....
    Do not pull off to the side where people can see you tilt your bike wayyy over to get a small slosh of gasoline into the carbs where people can see you.
    People come running from all over to see if you crashed.
    :)
    Awkward, but I suppose that's a good thing, not a bad thing!
    I'll just try to remember to refuel every 150 :)

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Johnny Gee likes this.
  29. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

What? people stop to offer help?WTF's the matter with them?

30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I hope your not a pilot as well.
    [​IMG]