Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Questions on build for gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A_Burly_Wind, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Im currently building a car to run in C/Gas (will run some SEGA races so adhering to their rules) but its mostly for fun for me and the family to take to the track and beat on. Im wanting to build a real solid 289 that revs to the moon for it, any of you guys built one with a ton of compression? whats the best cast iron heads to run? and any intake style better than other? Any helpful info will be awesome, the cars running a toploader 4spd and 9" with 4:56 gears out back and weighs in just shy of 2900lbs with me in it.

loudbang likes this.
  2. greybeard360

greybeard360

I helped with a friend of mines OT F/G car in early 70's. It was a 289, hipo heads ported by Valley Head Service. It was 12:1 with a roller cam... I don't remember the brand or specs. Car ran mid 11's .... Most cars in his class were in the high 10's at the time. That motor would turn some rpm's though! He said he saw it near 10k on a few occasions. It was actually still running stock rocker arms... Amazing!

loudbang and A_Burly_Wind like this.
  3. Thats what im hoping for! The noise of an sbf at those high rpm's is incredible haha Im sure I wont be bringing home any trophies I just have wanted a gasser all my life (grand dad ran a chevy II back when i was growing up) Ive got a good engine builder that knows his tuff hes just more of a later chevy guy so he doesnt know as much on whats the best heads and all to run.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

If the rules allow...you'll be many horse power ahead if you use modern aluminum heads...and just paint them.
    I've ported a hand full of small Ford heads, there just isn't enough wall thickness in any (that I've worked with) that can even come close to the way a modern aluminum head flows.

Mike

mad mikey, Unkl Ian and loudbang like this.

5. To stay legal I have to run cast iron heads, It doesnt say stock cast iron so Im assuming I can use an aftermarket iron like a Dart or RHS brand. If I could run AFR aluminum's it would be a monster of an engine but they wont allow it

loudbang likes this.
  6. Im hoping some back in the day racers or current SEGA guys can give me some pointers. Its really hard to find build info on these 289s online, seems like the average joe thinks high compression is 10.1:1 and is worried about fuel mileage haha

loudbang likes this.
  7. glrbird

glrbird

I’m not certain, but I think 351 Windsor heads will work on a 298 block, but have to run a 351 manifold I believe. This is reaching way back in my memory, so.......

A_Burly_Wind and loudbang like this.
  8. glrbird

glrbird

Look at the rules again, it's a 50 lb weight break for cast iron heads, you CAN run aluminum heads. That would be cheaper in the long run, and you can run more compression without worrying about detonation.

Unkl Ian and A_Burly_Wind like this.
  9. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

First generation 351 Windsor heads. They are the "C" castings. You'll have to run stepped head bolts or studs due to the 289/302 uses 7/16 bolts and the 351 Windsor uses 1/2 in head bolts. Or.......go to a Cleveland head and get some 4 bbl version and the corresponding intake and rev it to the moon. Just make sure to drill all the coolant holes to match correctly in the head gasket. There are "to do" sites on the swap on the NET. If it were me, I'd take the penalty and get some AFR 185's and call it done.

loudbang, RmK57, Gammz and 1 other person like this.
  10. Damn I misread that! well Id gladly take the weight penalty to run good heads!

loudbang likes this.
  11. Why not go bigger ?

12. Ive always been a fan of small cubes and high revs

loudbang likes this.
  13. What kind of car are you building? Any pics?

14. 37 Ford coupe, I havent taken many photos, the car had gotten pushed to the side for other projects and now im back to it.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Big cubes and high revs = more power.

16. Ive already got a good sbf so I want to use that and I could run an FE I have access to a nice 390, but I just like the 289s

loudbang likes this.
  17. RmK57

RmK57

By the time you spend your money on the cast iron rebuild it would almost be a wash for a brand new set of Trick flows's, Afr's, Dart, aluminum. What's the biggest intake valve that can fit in a 351 head?
    1.94/ 2.02?

18. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

I also think Canfield(sp) makes a really good SBF head. Saw some decent reviews on RHS heads also.

19. A_Burly_Wind likes this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

I too am building a .040 over 289 for my SEGA gasser. 1965 block bored, decked , line bored. 289 crank turned .010. Promaxx CNC ported heads. SRP dome pistons, Crower rods and a .600 plus lift solid roller. Parker style intake with a 950 cfm Holley.
    You need to forget about that 4.56 gear and start with a 5.86 or lower depending on tire diameter.
    My Morris Minor will be running a 10 x 28 tire. Unless you intending to do some street driving of your gasser. Then have 2 chunks ,one for the track and on for the street.
    These are serious race cars that are competitive. Unless you want to just be first round loser at every race, you need to rethink your build and contact somebody like Jimmy Huff to build you a real 289.

21. Ive been doing quite a bit of homework, and after talking to a guy thats going to do the engine for me (sbfs are his specialty) Im gonna run a 351w stroked to 408ci, and as for the rear gear its going to 5.90, dont intend on driving it on the street any.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  22. Now you are talking.

A_Burly_Wind likes this.
  23. I really wanted to stick with small displacement but If the guy that makes fast stuff go fast tells me im better off with this then so be it!

Wonder if anyone knows what the average C/Gas car is making power wise?

24. Given the choice between making real power, and sounding "good"....

25. Im sure either combo will sound really good mostly because Im going to make some fender exit equal length zoomies. but a tight 289 sings so good at 8,000+ rpm. Im just wanting to race havent had a fast car in 10 years and I miss the drag strip.

26. You'll need a stepped header with a merge collector, unless you want to leave a bunch of torque and HP on the table.
    Sizes will depend on the final build.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Canfield is no longer in business.

28. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Sorry DDDenny. I just remember they used to be a popular head. Not sure of the South East Gasser rules but I think if it were me and legal, I'd be going the 408 Windsor route with AFR heads.

29. old sparks

old sparks

rpm is not your friend and will ruin your weekend and wallet. I run low 10s with 350 gears shifting at 5500 rpm going thru the lights at 6000 with a small block chevy. 29 in tire. have run 9.93 with weight bars removed but don't want to jump thru the nhra hoops. just saying