Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Low mileage claims from sellers -WTF?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bhemi, Oct 10, 2018.

1. bhemi

bhemi

2. topher5150

topher5150

and I'm sure it ran perfectly until it was parked 25 years ago

3. Says it runs great. Hard to believe with the fuel line not hooked up.

Mick

sevenhills1952 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It could just as well be 109,270 as the speedometers up into the 60's or 70's didn't show that they had clicked past 100K as later speedometers do.
    Still it could have been bought new by someone who only drove it a couple times a week for very short distances and may not have driven that much during WWII.
    Still before paying a premium for low miles I'd want full documentation on the miles with maybe oil change and service receipts showing mileage at various dates until it got stuck in a shed. It's just a good story without that documentation.

6inarow likes this.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Tired of seeing this BS claim that a car ran before it was parked Every car ran before it was parked.

Gary

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recently parted company with a 62 Nova that had an actual 36,000 miles on it. Buyer, from Seattle, was skeptical. He brought his mechanic with him to see the car which I told him was a good idea. The mechanic, a collection manager from a Chevy dealer up North, took a look at the little nova and told the buyer to pay me so they could get on the freeway and go home. You can judge some books by their cover, but buyer beware.

Hotrodmyk and sbarrett like this.
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Oh so true. I have a car here that only shows 34,000 plus a few miles on it. It runs and drives great, but it is 50 years old, and the original owner has been gone for a dozen years. No way I can say for certain what the actual mileage is. The seller may absolutely believe that car only has that many miles on it, but it would need to be proven to me also.

8. My 56 Fairlane has just under 31K and by just looking at it is very believable. I have very little documentation that came from from the PO and I did not buy it because of the mileage. The interior is original and the cloth on the driver's side has very little visible wear and the rest is near perfect. The inside of the dash has practically no dust. The underside of the car body cleans up easily and still has most of the paint on it. The frame has some of the original paint too.

9. 5window

5window

I've only got 9K on a '31 , but it's not the original speedo. Still an old car my have that many miles, but that was long ago. 9000 miles in the 1930s wouldn't translate to the same # today.

10. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I was given a 1964 Karman Gia with 20,000 miles on it in 1986. The woman who had it walked to work and church
    she decided to move in with her boyfriend and I was driving past him on my way home each day so she asked if I would carry some stuff over to his house for her. I took about 5 truckloads to him over a weeks time when she asked if I wanted her old vw. She had bought it new but it had been a demo, so it had almost 4000 miles on it when she bought it. The battery died and she just left it in her landlady's barn. I filled the tires, changed the oil, installed a new battery and freed the frozen clutch and sold it.

11. 5window

5window

My '65 Mustang, OT I know, has 78K. Not super low, but like 1500 per year. Original, because it was my aunt's. she could usually walk to work and didn't drive on trips much. I think there could be many reasons besides scammers and odometer rollover for low miliage. Got to see if the facts fit the story.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A Mustang was for sale here, a 1967, nice clean car, drivers seat flattened out, dirty under the hood, seller claimed 24K miles, I said "no way"...
    But my 22 year old friend wanted it, so believed the seller...who, in turn, said he had all the receipts for service, repairs, etc.
    We went over, sat down with the folder of receipts, all at the Merced Ford dealer...all the way up to the 39,400 mile mark! OOOPS! The speedo had been 'rolled back'...
    Seller got red in the face, said he'd NEVER checked!
    But his name was on receipts dating back to 30K... LOL
    My friend bought the car for way less...

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  13. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Years ago I was looking at a car at a small car lot, big sign said 37,000 original miles.
    It was clean...but? So when looking it over the glove box was full of state inspection receipts all the way back to original. So it was like 5k, 10k...all the way to 90+k, then started over.
    I asked the lot salesman if he was 100% sure that 37k on odometer was correct?
    Absolutely he said. Then I showed him the receipts. He took them into office and didn't come back!

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

9,000 miles of farm and county driving with parked outside, are bit different than 9,000 miles of city driving and parked in the garage

Hnstray and Beanscoot like this.
  15. Gman0046

Gman0046

If you can't tell wether a car has 20,000 or 120,000 miles on it, you don't need to be buying it. If it were me I'd take up quilting.

Gary

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Did I miss it in the classifieds? Been:( looking for a 62 to 65. Had a 62 Chevy 2 .

Bandit Billy likes this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, it was in the classifieds on here. Ran it epay with no result. Ended up selling on CL. Nice little red rag top.

18. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

Amen!!

Gman0046 likes this.
  19. 3spd

3spd

This one gets me too; ad exalts the low miles the car has... but the seats are torn up, the pedal pads are worn through, and the door cards are down to threads. Who do they expect to believe them?

egads, Clay Belt and Gman0046 like this.
  20. RmK57

RmK57

9,270 miles is when the odometer quit working.

6inarow likes this.
  21. Every car “can be made to run again”. Don’t forget that the Hindenburg and the Titanic both “ran when parked”.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ring gap and Gman0046 like this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

People have lost the context of low miles. Cars will go 300K miles now. I hate hearing people say this is a low mileage survivor. Only 112,000 original miles. Thats great for today's cars, but people were dragging em across the scales when they hit 100K. I remember dealers wouldn't even talk to you if yours was over.

Boneyard51 and trollst like this.
  23. 5window

5window

And, 9000 mile in Arizona isn't 9000 miles in Maine

nochop likes this.
  24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Junkyards used to be full of cars from the 30’s through the early 70’s that had odometers showing 80,000 or less.

49ratfink and samurai mike like this.
  25. who really cares how many miles are on a car, unless you're gonna keep it as is or restore it,..judge the car for yourself , pay accordingly...

Latigo, mgtstumpy, ring gap and 8 others like this.
  26. trollst

trollst

Yep, I'm from the day when you looked hard for a used car with less than 70,000 on it, because at 100,000 they were dead, finished. I also remember points and plugs every 10,000 miles, crawling under the hood, feet on frame rails, doing points, setting dwell on a sbc, business card to set points, yes......those weren't the days. Taking a tired engine apart at 100,000 and finding a half an inch of sludge coating every surface......yes, the good old days, or.....back in the day as the young folk now say.
    Now, one hundred thousand is still considered fresh.

27. topher5150

topher5150

I saw a guy on Facebook selling a set of Chevy heads and he put in the description that they came off a running engine and have been in storage for 25 years

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ring gap likes this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

To me anymore, anything below 100,000 miles is low mileage!
    Never figured out the big todo over mileage on an old car unless it's some special edition or special optioned, like a California Special Mustang or a Hemi Cuda or Superbird. Most of the time, we buy an old car, we're gonna take it apart anyway, replacing worn out parts, changing engines, etc. Custom guys are gonna cut'em up, hot rodders are gonna stuff'em full of performance parts. It's nice to see a low mileage original every once in a while so we can see how they were made, but most of us can't let well enough alone, if it's gonna be driven, it's gonna have changes made!

egads, Hnstray and upspirate like this.
  29. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I recently bought a 49 dodge truck the speedo shows 31k miles on it.
    I figure it is 131k and tells me the motor has already been rebuilt once.
    Hard to guess how many miles when it was rebuilt .... paint on the engine is not real bad.

30. I don’t understand what makes them “original” miles as opposed to just miles....if the car has been driven then it just has miles on it! On a side note I bought my 57 with 54,000 miles on it from the family that bought it new. Cool knowing the history.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

egads and Hnstray like this.