Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. upspirate

upspirate

I remember seeing the cabinet of broken parts in Don Garlits museum.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Must have been an awful large cabinet!

3. We do... it's called "Blown up sir!"

enloe likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

a little noise to wake you up on a quiet Monday....

5. We are going out to union grove Saturday for one more chance at the sevens.

David Gersic, porkshop, enloe and 8 others like this.
  6. So sorry. But nice car.

racer-x likes this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good luck, Brian!!!!!

Stogy, enloe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. What Salt said. Go Brian.:)

chryslerfan55, Stogy, enloe and 3 others like this.
  9. You deserve that seven, keep us posted.

Stogy, dirty old man, enloe and 2 others like this.
  10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

GIVE EM HELL !!!!!!!!

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

May I borrow that buffer when you finish using it ? LOL

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  12. Dress warm, high's in the low 50's for Saturday.

loudbang likes this.
  13. wicarnut

wicarnut

Back in my dizzy track days (21 years) I always disposed of any crash parts or broken engine parts ( fortunately not too many, but my share ) as I DID NOT want to be reminded of the money/sheet time involved of these type of problems. I did learn from my mistakes/mishaps/etc. and I never had the storage area for inventory of "Stuff" that was created through the years. This helps in remembering the good and dismissing the bad memories IMO. A good friend of mine, his comment " Racing is Fun, Relaxing and Inexpensive " kinda like " Racing is Safe, Fun, Inexpensive" pick any 2

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

Nice cold air makes for more power. :)

mad mikey and enloe like this.
  15. The important thing is the sun will be out Saturday. This will provide the much needed heat in the track. Vht doesn't work when the track is cold. I know all the track personnel there. I will see if they can drag and spray the track before I run. The car is hopped up so I will need all I can get from the track. We will see what happens. It has to happen this weekend. Next week looks even colder.

chryslerfan55, Stogy, egads and 7 others like this.
  16. Well, did it ever warm up enough to race ?

loudbang likes this.
  17. It got up to 50 degrees for two hours. The last two weeks were rainouts. 230 plus cars and snow mobiles were on site. Most of them had radial tires and full length exhaust. Alot of water was running out onto the track from the street car exhausts. A handful of faster Chicago wise guys and a pair of blown alchohol cars showed up. I know the track head starter very well. I asked if he could spray and drag the track before I ran. He did just that. Behind me in the lanes were all the fast cars lined up. I had the same tune up in it as rock falls so it was hopped up. It hooked good and lifted the wheels. About 330 feet it spun the tires and at 660. Coming down the return road I could see the other fast cars doing the same things in the same places.
    Knowing the track couldn't hold a fast car I chose to change the tune up. I basically castrated the hemi by pulling 10 degrees of timing out. The clouds moved in taking away any track temp and the air temp was now in the mid 40s. The plan was to walk it off the line so I could stay on the throttle past the eighth mile. Our overly rich conditions showed up there. The car took off. At the eighth it was hauling ass. It danced around a little but continued to bring up the rpm. The seat of the pants gauge said about 175 mph. I didn't get a time slip. The feel of the chutes hitting is different as the speed goes up. Back at the trailer the normal service work was performed including a leak down test. As the engine has gotten leaner with the extra fuel return the leak has gone from 30 in the front cylinders to 10. The rear four went from 30 down to 25. So that tells me I have room to pinch the rear nozzles a few thousanths to bring up the cylinder temp. The plugs were just starting to show some temp. Pulling 10 degrees of timing changed their look so the main jet will stay the same. It was a good test day with alot of good data recorded. The car went back in the trailer with the rods and blower still in their proper place. Today I will prep the trailer for winter. Work for 2019 has officially started.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Well we can stay ONE HELL OF A SEASON. Coming back from the catastrophe and running and surviving drag week was a great accomplishment for you and your crew. Kudos.

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Brian
    I am looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labor this coming year:)

20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Brian.Wishing you and the crew the best for the coming year.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

21. 20181016_162756.jpg Usually by mid summer I have a idea what is going to change for the following year. I have mentioned I'm going with a 16 plug set up next year. The heads are twin plug capable after I drill and tap the second plug hole. The holes for the tubes and o-rings are already in them. I scored a set of nos magnesium stage five covers at bowling green this summer. I already had a set of red wires so all I needed to do today was put it all together. The old covers came off so I could remove the breather castings. I drilled the cover stud holes .025 over so they go on and off easy. I then made a fixture out of some scrap so I could hammer a flat on one side of the tube. The flats from one pair match up. I didn't want the tubes looking all beat up so the fixture came in handy. It turned out nice and clean. The red wires will be for the efi. The black for the mag. The msds will also be matching black and red. I think it's looking kind of top fuelish. I just need a 4 inch offset mag drive.
    I removed the dual drive and mounted the pump directly to the pump extension. The quick connect was removed at this time because I dont need it now. The pump can be disconnected by loosening the pinch bolts. The pump moves forward to disengage it for street driving. The lines and cable still fit saving me some time and money.
    I'm doing all this work so I can start it on gas then turn on the mag set at 50 degrees of lead. It won't start on 12 volts with that much advance so we are going to try this way. The difference in horse power going from 38 degrees to 50 is several hundred. So it's worth the effort. 20181016_153730.jpg 20181016_153746.jpg 20181016_153852.jpg 20181016_154931.jpg 20181016_154939.jpg 20181016_155115.jpg 20181016_114745.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  22. Looks very cool. The valve covers give a tough look. Quick Question Brian, what are the front tires you are running?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  23. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

So I think I understand the EFI side, but what spark plugs and spark sources are in play running nitro? Will you have two 8-plug mags? If so how do you change over one set of plugs from EFI to mag? Or do you really only need one plug on mag?

Stogy likes this.
  24. Instead of efi, might Brian mean hei? Hei for the street ignition and magneto for race ignition. Yes? No???

Phil

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Lets hope he is running one set of plugs on fuel, if he runs both, he is going to need bigger tires.

26. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

Let's see how close I can get. He meant EFI, not HEI, as the distributor mounted in the "stock" location works with the EFI via MSD box IIRC for street driving. As for the dual plugs, one set will be for gas and the other for fuel. Last I knew, he runs the car on fuel with the EFI completely turned off, so only one set will fire while running fuel.

If I were a betting man, I'd anticipate seeing a dual mag setup (think modern top fuel) where one is the mag and the other is a gutted mag housing setup to function as the distributor while driving on the street.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  27. champ scotty 58 has it figured out. the efi is controlled by a fast xfi-2 computer. both the spark and fuel are controlled by it. the nitro side is fired by a msd 20 amp mag. it will fire one plug. mikey the tires are mh i will have to look at them if you need a exact size. i think they are 26 inch.

28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    It’s crazy how what to the average layperson would be basically the same engine format as a couple seasons ago. Is now in so many details besides the second gen long block update become such a stronger race looking package.
    Well at least it looks faster to me. Reminds me of the way a blown nitro engine always looks somehow bigger and scarier in a drag boat up close and personal.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, scott27, Woogeroo and 5 others like this.
  29. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Amazing, it's got the front tires off the ground and not even trying

Stogy, blowby, mad mikey and 4 others like this.