Register now to get rid of these ads!

San Fernando Drags Pictures, Show & Tell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Panneton Bros. Racing, Nov 28, 2008.

1. J Franklin

J Franklin

2. J Franklin

J Franklin

Found your thread and thought I would add a little backstory. About 1966 I worked at the snack bar (Brownies consessions) during high school. What a fun job and was my first time getting a real paycheck. A real nice classmate Chris Misner worked there and she got me the job. We had to calculate all the purchases in our head and only entered the total in the cash register. Anytime the track closed for cleanup or wreck the people in the stands would come running for the snack bar. We could watch the cars at the starting line, what a great job!

64 Wildcat likes this.
  3. mike.t

mike.t

What was the name of the airport next to the drag strip

4. mike.t

mike.t

Please reply to mr.mikethomas@att,net

5. SAN FERNANDO AIRPORT ........

6. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I didn't think there was an airport right on the grounds of the old San Fernando dragstrip..the closest airport is Whiteman...not super close though....a couple miles away...

7. No, the drag strip wasn't a part of the airport complex, but, as you said, nearby.

One of my childhood friends was an aviation enthusiast, so we'd check out both places when we were in the area.

8. toml24

toml24

There was a 1/3 mile paved oval race track at Whiteman Air Park, located at 12500 Pierce Road. The track was called Whiteman Stadium from 1966 to 1969. There were dozens of airplanes parked just beyond the crash wall in the turns and back straight. If you want to see film of HAMB friendly stock car races get the movie "Pit Stop". There is excellent film of Whiteman Stadium at the end as the track was a stand-in for Phoenix for a big stock car race.

9. San Fernando Airport ran parallel to Arroyo between Glenoaks and Foothill , I used to go to the swap meet in the mid 70's and watch the planes take off and land , Airport is long gone and is now parking lot for the swap meet .

Whiteman Airport runs parallel to San Fernando Road between Pierce and Osborne and is still going strong ...

10. 296ardun

296ardun

go-hons san fernando 34 coupe Olds.jpg
    Go-Hons coupe, Olds powered

rat trap fireside.jpg
    Larry Dixon in Chuck Blue's Fireside Inn fuel modified roadster vs Don Green's Rat Trap.

thompson twin san fernando.jpg
    Mickey Thompson, early trials for his twin Chrysler, on just one engine.

bustlebomb san fernando.jpg
    Lloyd Scott's Bustlebomb, there for a TV show.

sidebotham brothers san fernando larry rose coll 56.jpg
    Sidebotham brothers blown Olds, '56, from the Larry Rose collection.

11. Lou Baneys drag strip in Saugus.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Anybody know the whereabouts of Gary Bennets' and his Dads Fiat altered with the flathead, Picts? They lived in Sunland ran S/F Drags often.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-4-28_8-40-31.png
    From The Jack Gillette Collection of pins of local So Cal dragstrips.

Hello,

I have been doing some drag racing research on my next project from my own early digital films. As I was looking at every available source, I came across this series of articles and photos from the Drag News in August 24, 1957 concerning Don Rowe/Pancho Gonzales/Joe Itow and the Cad powered FED.

Jnaki
    It was a nice change up to see other early FED race cars in action at another dragstrip in So Cal. Going back to reading those old Drag News papers for several days reminded me of those days in the Westside of Long Beach, making a run to Joe Mailliard's Speed Shop or later, Mickey Thompson Enterprises to get out own copy of the weekly.

Hope you enjoy these:

upload_2021-4-28_8-38-19.png upload_2021-4-28_8-38-38.png
    upload_2021-4-28_8-38-59.png upload_2021-4-28_8-39-43.png

296ardun likes this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-29_3-48-36.png

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-real-shop-trucks.861691/page-4#post-13692596 Daddy's Auto Body San Fernando

Hello,

That Buick powered, blue color body with cool flames was one of the first full body FED cars in early drag racing. It looked like a streamliner race car built for dry lakes and Bonneville. The group from the San Fernando Valley and Daddy’s Auto Body built a yellow streamlined version with a carburetor power for the Buick motor.

1st edition:
    upload_2021-8-29_3-51-43.png
    2nd edition:
    upload_2021-8-29_3-52-26.png
    Here is a great story on Daddy's Auto Body, Buick powered dragster from 1958. They were very successful in So Cal and then ideas started flying around in the San Fernando Valley.
    upload_2021-8-29_3-52-57.png

upload_2021-8-29_3-53-16.png
    Up pops version two of Daddy's Auto Body dragster:
    upload_2021-8-29_3-53-57.png
    This time with an Ivo stroker motor (including the famous Tommy Ivo, up swept individual header pipes...) in Daddy’s Auto Body FED, and some new colors...
    upload_2021-8-29_3-54-35.png 1958
    Back when the Tommy Ivo Group was starting, it was known that the Buick motors, big and powerful with carbs or later on Hilborn Injection would end up in someone’s project. In 1957, Daddy’ Auto Body was such a recipient. The colorful yellow, full streamlined FED was pretty advanced for the times. There were only a few race cars that were streamlined.

"Kenny Safford moved to dragsters from stock car racing. He experienced the thrill of their performance at the wheel of Don Johnson’s streamlined, Daddy’s Auto Body top gas car. That first ride in 1958 hooked Kenny on driving. (from that experience, in 1960 he teamed up with Don Gaide and then Don Ratican to run as the famous Sour Sister’s FED. "

Jnaki
    upload_2021-8-29_3-56-21.png
    Daddy’s Auto Body winning the A/Gas Dragster class. Look who won the A Street Roadster Class!!!

It was a Road Kings outing at Pomona Dragstrip January 5, 1958.
    upload_2021-8-29_3-57-21.png
    Innovative times from the San Fernando Valley hot rod/drag race guys…
    All over So Cal.

Fast Elvis and lurker mick like this.