Register now to get rid of these ads!

cars used as ravine stabilizers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by litemupok, Nov 5, 2006.

1. litemupok

litemupok

ok i deleted the link so as not to get myself or anyone else in trouble. either i'll post the pics again or let me know and i'll just email them all to you.

2. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

That link doesn't work for me ??

3. guiseart

guiseart

A wad or two of greenbacks might change his mind ya know...

They did that alot here in KANSAS too, walk along the edge of almost any creek or ravine, you'll trip over a roofline sooner or later.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There are a few 50s and 60s cars along a river in a small town north of the Cincinnati area and the manager of a shop I used to work for bought some property and there were the remains of a few 40s and 50s cars and trucks along the creek at the end of his property,all that was left was the frames as the bodys rotted and were probably down stream but I was able to identify all of them. In the property next door were a few more and I was able to get some stainless off a 53 olds for mine. Jeff

5. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

In 1965 I was working a pipeline around Greensburg KS and we went through a couple of fields that had at least a hundred bodies from late twenties on back that had been used as a wind break during the dust bowl. I grabbed all of the roadster windshield posts and other good stuff as I could at that time. I'll bet a lot of it is still there.

6. guiseart

guiseart

When you ain't gots no trees, ya gotta make a windbreak outta sumptin... ha!

7. sanmartin72

sanmartin72

ya look at the stash we have here in california !

I'm pointing behind the tree!

Attached Files:

8. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

There is alot of creeks dammed with cars around here.

40-something Chevy Pick up Buried to the cowl posts, with the roof mashed in above my uncles house.

One day I'd like to dig it out, there is also a mid-50's buick with an Nailhead block buried mostly in sand. And some early-60's Chevy compact.

9. abone1930

abone1930

old thread but any luck on the old guy?

10. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Our power company had a canal from a river to a hydro---they used old cars to line the canal for canal wall stabilization. The canal was built back in the 30's. As teenagers we would check out the contributions made during the week(s) and take parts or whole cars. We had a 56 BA 2dr hdtp pulled out. Made it into a drag car. I almost get ill remembering back to those old times---

11. abone1930

abone1930

are they still there?

12. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

The canal sides are still covered with cars---for miles. But they are all pretty well picked over. I was not kidding about the 56 BA Chev 2 dr hdtp that got pulled out of there---It was known as the "Barnburner" as a drag car. I myself have gotten 55 chev parts, 57 chev taillight housings and side trim, 5? Pontiac side trim and a 57 Buick grille, which is a real bitch to remove, I might add. We called it "junkin".

13. abone1930

abone1930

anybody find these yet?