Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Dumping unwanted parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scruffy49, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Scruffy49

Scruffy49

We inherited so much crap that we’ll never use...
    Ford AA truck doors and seat base.
    Standard body VW Beetle replacement panels.
    Flathead 4 cylinder engines (dumped as erosion control years ago).
    Ford wire wheels.
    Buick screw on hubcaps.
    Old jacks and tire pumps.
    Metal and or cardboard oil cans.
    Big metal lube cans.
    The rest of the AA tin is in the seasonal creek with the engines.

How do you guys get rid of this stuff? Scrap bin? Swap meet? Not worth the gas to haul off (to me) but someone, somewhere, someday might could possibly use it was my late father in laws “logic”...

Ugh. I live in hell. 1840 house, crap on/in every building, holler and hollow tree, from everyone who has lived here. And from both Union/CSA troops billeted here. Or treated here.

Been cleaning up since we moved back in 2011... can’t tell...

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the good, i.e. not rusted beyond saving, put the parts on FordBarn.com. old oil cans are "petroliana" and sell on evilbay. rusty iron, haul it to the iron monger by the pound. the rest, dig a hole.

3. 5window

5window

1. Buy some liability insurance
    2. Tell everyone it's free
    3. Post your address
    4. Get out of the way

302GMC and 117harv like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What year(s) are the AA doors, and in what condition are they?

LM14 likes this.

5. Get in touch with the people on the Pickers TV program. Those clowns pay stupid money for worthless crap.

dan c, stillrunners and 3340 like this.
  6. Dumping....Is this todays mentality,sad.

raven likes this.
  7. scotts52

scotts52

Where are you located?

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put it all in a UPS box and leave it on your front porch around the holidays.

dan c, stillrunners, hidez57 and 5 others like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And a plate of cookies.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

VW sheetmetal? Samba. Esp priced @ "get it the hell outa here".
    Old ford & other stuff? HAMB. Same deal.
    Aww, hell; maybe make it same kinda deal as below for each spl-subgroup that you have ID'd parts for...
    Union/CSA? Boy howdy I'd like some(specially the CSA), but $$ ain't there. Love the history. Sounds like you got it in spades, although too much is overwhelming. I'd be tempted to host a "civil"war re-enactment there. Already know some of the history? Use it as an angle/bait. Entry fee: free, but you are required to participate in at least a days' cleanup. Some of what you find will be yours, after it's located, pictured in-situ, cataloged, etc. Possibly the local/state historical society? Same deal... FWIW. Provided the damned state doesn't declare the whole farm/land a historical site - but then *you* don't have to clean it up...
    Marcus...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  11. Patrick Crumley

Patrick Crumley

12. YES...in as much as you failed to put it on your profile page..

13. He mentioned in another post he lives outside of Memphis. HRP

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yard sale for starters. List the event here for local Ford Barn and HAMBer's with lots of pics. Craigslist for big stuff. On line for small stuff.

Any scrap metal with zero value stack in a pile. Then decide if it's worth your while to take in or list an ad for the local scrapper's to haul away. They'll come running like rats for it if it's a big pile.
    Once the surface is clean, that would be a good place to comb with a metal detector to see if the troops or previous occupants left any interesting things (coins) behind.

15. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

"Ugh. I live in hell."
    Wanna trade? Line forms @ the right!!

stillrunners likes this.
  16. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

If near-Memphis is hell, then near-Mpls must be Hell-Frozen-Over, although only for ~ 8 months of the year. & ~3 of the leftover months, mossies big enough to hunt, fillet, n grille are available in abundance for your "enjoyment". & then there is the STATE... policies that make regular hell look absolutely inviting... ;( . Trade? I'd consider it real serious-like...
    Damn straight...
    Marcus...

raven and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Neither.

vvvvvv

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan

18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Junk hanging around from occupants back to 1840?
    I'd have a ball spending my spare time cleaning that place up.
    I'd like to have seen the place before the first cleanup.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

Facebook is another good place to post sale ads for stuff that is cheap or free, because you'll get local people who can come and pick it up. eBay is great to get top dollar but you have to be willing to do a lot of picture taking and packaging and other work.

If you were near me, I'd come and cherry pick the pile and offer you some cash for it, I'm sure someone in your area will do the same.

As for scrap, most good scrap yards will come and clean it up and probably even give you a few dollars for it. I would not offer free scrap iron to the general public, they'll steal all of your stuff that you don't want to get rid of.

20. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Those AA doors could bring decent chunk of change if they are at all workable. Same as a 26/27 T Coupe door and they bring good money if they can be fixed with patch panels!

SPark

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And I could still use parts of them if they can't.

22. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

What kinda civil war and earlier kinda of crap could be laying around thats crap? Im just curious being from the west coast.

23. lake_harley

lake_harley

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Need more info......near Memphis could be in Arkansas, Mississippi, or Tennessee. I agree, the city of Memphis is not the best place in the world anymore, too much crime and drugs. I won’t go there after dark, I go in in daylight,unload, and get out.

Any Civil War stuff might be bullets, cannonball, buttons, harness metal, etc. Probably no bigger than a cannonball or frying pan. Anything wood or leather, unless stored properly, is long rotted away.

25. Be careful if you deal with any unexploded ordnance. 150 year old unexploded stuff can kill you. The French Army has an elite unite that does nothing but deal with unexploded shells from WWI. They expect to be dealing with it for another 100 years.

stillrunners likes this.
  26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"...near Memphis could be in Arkansas, Mississippi, or Tennessee."
    Or maybe he's in Egypt...
    But seriously, if inviting the great hordes of humanity onto the property for a junk sale, it would be wise to have a few family members or friends present to keep people in line and not sneaking into every building etc.
    Possibly also put up some temporary fencing to delineate out of bounds areas.

Then advertise it well and accurately, and keep them out until your advertised opening time. Nothing worse than still setting up for a sale and having some early birds rummaging around behind your back.

27. geez the whiners....most would love to have yer back yard....

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seriously, how are those doors?

I don't need good bottoms. I have fixed those. I have some creases on the tops.

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon