Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Test/drive old cars/people problems...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenhills1952, Oct 9, 2018.

1. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I guess I'm just venting or seeing if others have this problem.
    The worst thing for old cars is letting them sit. Yesterday I drove two after checking everything, washing, etc. I drive on back roads, but of course have to pull over at times to check something out. I always pick a good spot, then open hood, check underneath, etc.
    People stop and I wave them by. It's always the same "you need help?". Nooooo everything is fine...just checking something.
    I know they mean well, but it's a car made before their parents were born! I know I'm old but not decrepit...yet!
    Something always needs adjusting or check a noise out (car needs attention too).
    Anyone have this happen? I mean when I say no...all is well...a lot of people get pizzed!

2. alchemy

alchemy

So you would rather everybody just MYOB, and then the time you do need a hand nobody stops?

clem, Blues4U, scott27 and 14 others like this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A lot of people drive front wheel drive vehicles with some kind of 'promised warranty'.
    These people have never opened their hoods, "God Forbid!"
    They thought you were terminally stranded.

4. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I have the opposite problem.
    Whenever I’m broke down no one will help me.
    One time I was changing a tire in the rain in a church parking lot and an old woman yelled at me for taking up two spaces.

Another time my fuel pump gave out on a bridge and an old man called me an asshole for making him wait while I pushed my car across the bridge by myself.

If people stop and offer help just say thanks but everything is fine and give them a big smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

I have had it happen and even tho' I didn't need help, I was grateful for the concern. Next time you're at the side of the road checking things, check your shorts too, I thing they are on too tight.

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's the problem. Nobody stops when there really is an issue.

Sort of like how if we go into a store and just want to kill some time browsing, all these jackwagons come out of the woodwork every 30 seconds and keep asking "can I help you find something today?"; but, when people really do need some guidance, it's like a fricking ghost town. Nobody to be found.

7. ..............That's hilarious!:D

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It's a problem that you're surrounded by people that are courteous enough to ask a stranded motorist if they need help? :confused:

I'd say you should count your blessings to live in such a wonderful place. Smile and wave when these fine people acknowledge you.

9. Just my $0.02

People offering help..... Not a problem.

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You stop on a back road and raise your hood, especially on an old car, here in Oklahoma, with in a few minutes there will be a crowd, some beers, several pickup trucks and every possible solution offered. May take an hour to back on the road if you were just checking your oil.

Bones

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    triman62, mrhp, clem and 17 others like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Some would rather criticize than help:
    One morning, I was on my way to work (lived in Aptos, worked in Santa Cruz) driving my '52 Porsche roadster on Highway 1. Suddenly...fire went out. Nothing. No horn, ignition, like battery cable fell off?
    Coasted to a near stop, hopped out, and am pushing toward an off ramp.
    An old geezer pulls up behind me in an O.T. station wagon, and starts honking his horn!
    I pull on the E-brake, walk back, and suggest, "Say, Elmer...If you want to speed things up, why don't you get out and push my car, while I honk your horn?"
    He backed up and sped off... his wife was laughing, and winked at me.
    I was right...when I got to a safe place, I raised the hood...the positive cable was loose, I had replaced the cable and was interrupted by ex wife for dinner. Should have finished the job. She couldn't cook mud pies.

12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Maybe its a Texas thing but I've had folks offer to help multiple times. Most recently when I ran out of gas on the service road in our wagon a guy stopped to help. Lost a wheel bearing coming home from Austin a few years ago. While working on it in the parking lot of the Auto parts store the shop next door comes out and offers the use of their lift or anything else I may need for free... just to be helpful. I always stop when I see an old car broke down. For me its just part of this thing we do and I don't even hesitate.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

When someone stops to offer help. Don’t even think they are judging your ability.
    They truly are offering a stranger a little love.
    I wish the whole damn country had your type of problems.

mrhp, wicarnut, clem and 17 others like this.
  14. Why get upset about someone offering assistance? If I see you on the side of the road in a old car with the hood up you bet I'm going to ask if you need help.

I sounds like the people around your area are genuinely concerned, be grateful and don't complain, some day you might need their help. HRP

Blue One, mrhp, wicarnut and 14 others like this.
  15. while we are bitchin', puppies! do they have to be so cute?
    i hate when i go out and all i have is $100 bills.
    why does beer have to be so cold? etc......

16. 2935ford

2935ford

Around here, stopping at what appears to be a vehicle needing help is the polite thing to do.
    I hope that never changes! :)

mrhp, dirty old man, Cosmo49 and 8 others like this.
  17. williebill

williebill

Only go out at night....
    Only in really bad neighborhoods.....
    Wear a political shirt of some kind, guaranteeing that 50% of people won't offer to help...
    Tell this story to all the locals, with any luck, word will get out, and nobody will ever offer to help you again.
    Only drive invisible cars...

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes that's a good problem. Maybe the Good Lord is looking out for you and your dissing him.

19. Most people who aren't neurotic don't stop to open their hoods on the side of the road unless there is a problem. It's sort of attention seeking behavior and one that's successful and then bitch about it.
    I don't know which one but I'm more than reasonably certain there is a medication for that.

scott27, Cosmo49, harpo1313 and 8 others like this.
  20. adam401

adam401

Haha grumpy old man thread. You guys are hilarious.

21. Terrible80

Terrible80

Hell, I still stop for anyone if I can. What my old man taught me.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a lot of investments other than the less than lucrative old cars stock. One of those accounts is Bank of Karma. It doesn't have the best returns and you are constantly making withdraws so it requires timely and regular deposits to keep the account active. Helping, or offering to help, those in need is one way I keep the balance in that account from going negative. Life is a lot more comfortable with a nice big Karma account balance.

23. F&J

F&J

X2..I love my area.

X2 ....It's called the "Law of Attraction"..tons of info on youtube as well as "creating your own reality". This stuff IS for real.

Negative attitudes will only cause a person to give off negative vibrations, and if you are so upbeat, content with what you have, and what you are, you WILL attract the same. At some point you start to realize that all the recent coincidences cannot possibly be just that.

24. When they stop just say "Hey, neighbor! Do you like old cars? This one's mine and I'm getting it back on the road since it had been sitting for a while. It's just my routine to drive it a while 'till it's warmed up and then check for any leaks, check that all the systems are working. Just basic stuff. It's up to you if you want to hang on here for about another 5 minutes while I finish my inspection." You can also put him to work. Ask him to follow your car for a half mile or so and look for drips, smoke, wonky wheels, etc. You will make his day and maybe make a new friend.

dirty old man, 6inarow, czuch and 4 others like this.
  25. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I got nothin......

hidez57 and egads like this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Really feel fortunate. In all the years I've been messing with old cars I've never crapped out on the side of the road. Just knocked on wood.

Gary

27. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Every time i break down and people offer to help, they cant. They never have any tools, a timing gun or the firing order im trying to figure out. Much less a gallon of gas or the parts i need. If your gunna offer help you better be able to actually help, instead of just being there for emotional support.

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Im thinking you are probably going to get more help offers just because you are in a classic car as it interest people more, makes them feel in the click with the car guys if they can get involved in some way:D

dirty old man and sevenhills1952 like this.
  29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

That's funny.....

30. I was there for
    I was there for her emotional support, and yes, the gas can too.:rolleyes: 321.jpg