Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Powerglide info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by special-k, Oct 8, 2018.

1. special-k

special-k

Hi l have a powerglide in a vintage Dirt Modified. Its a little newer than you guys like but I'm hoping you'll let it slide because of the trans year. Anyways it has a manual override on the vacuum regulator on the side. Trying to find out what the purpose is? Thanks for any tips. 20181008_155123.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That is a low bad apply, can be used for push starts.

3. special-k

special-k

So it applies the low gear band mechanically? Does that mean l can take it off and put a block off plate on it without disturbing the rest of the tranny? We have a room issue and it takes up some room we could use. The car has a starter so it doesn't really need to be able to be push started.

loudbang likes this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Do you have a torque converter?
    Is this a high gear only car?

loudbang likes this.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

DIRT cars can get away with not having a torque converter; they use a direct coupler from the engine to the trans in place of the converter. Some use a dummy converter, others a drive hub. Manual valve body, and a "valve" to open/release the band apply; sort of works like a clutch. I have't seen a lever connected directly to the low apply servo; is it hand or foot operated? The ones I've seen use a remote, foot operated, pedal that's connected to a valve to route trans fluid. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  6. special-k

special-k

No this one has the ball valve with no torque converter and all the gears work. Just wasn't sure what this lever did. PO said it was for cautions. There was a language barrier between us so it seems like he meant if it stalled and wouldn't refire you could use this and be push started

loudbang likes this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you need the servo cover, send me a PM with your address. I can send one your way.

8. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

If he was using it for cautions seems like he had it so they could ride around track at slower speed while caution flag was out.

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

What track(s) are you racing at ?

10. special-k

special-k

I finally managed to track down the original transmission builder. It is for bump starting and it'll be ok to take it off and put a stock cover back on it. The spring and piston should be inside and intact. Thanks for the tips.

11. special-k

special-k

We haven't raced anywhere yet. I'm in southern Ontario Canada. So l'm a little ways from Oregon lol

12. special-k

special-k

Thanks for the offer. I'll be digging around here to find one.

13. special-k

special-k

Managed to find one. I thought it would be stamped steel. Turned out to be a nicely cast one. Should be good now. It was with a mid 60's 6 cylinder engine. The belhousing has a couple good side inspection holes along the side. Is that common?

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Yes on a 6 cylinder with the air cooled converter.