Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Jack Mickelson Roadster: FOUND!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Jack Mickelson Roadster: FOUND!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

winr, Hotrodmyk, reagen and 14 others like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree , being a “known” car ; it deserves to go back to its original build form. Hellava cool car!

FlatheadRods likes this.
  4. It makes me wonder how many other cars, like this, are hiding in plain sight............

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Having had several race cars with known history getting the word out is really important. You never know who has original photos or related information that make the cars history complete. Hope the car gets a full 1947 era restoration at some time. Bob

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF1712.JPG About 40 years ago a 1926 Rolls Royce owner stopped in the shop and gave me all his pre 1951 issues of Hot Rod magazines and CT News. Up until that point in time his visits were all about Rolls Royce maintenance, you just never know what people were interested in when they were younger. Bob

Irish Mike, Stogy, HEMI32 and 7 others like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Lots of them. I'd guess at least 75 percent of the existing hot rods were hot rods back in the ol days. Just recycled and changed up over time.

I welded together a 32 roadster body from about a half dozen different chunks in the 1990's. The quarters had been channelled at some point and had a maroon/purple paint on them. I often wondered what that car looked like in 1950? Was it famous?

I did the bodywork for a local restorer, so the car was destined to return back to stock. But he never got it completed and sold the project to a hot rodder from Michigan. Now the car is a black highboy roadster with a flathead. Whoda thunk?

8. pumpman

pumpman

I guess it's true what goes around comes around. At least I hope.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great story & update

Stogy likes this.
  10. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Looks like it was pretty fast too.
    upload_2018-10-8_12-47-30.png

Stogy, kiwijeff, FlatheadRods and 2 others like this.
  11. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Wow-- So cool!
    In its current state, it would be easy to walk by that car at a Goodguys show and assume its just another Brookville or even fiberglass-bodied street rod.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Guess that filled grille shell, and wire holes and the louver free hood helped with aero package. Bob

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and J. A. Miller like this.
  13. That is great news, Jack's roadster is one of those classic postwar highboy's up there with the Brown, McGee, Nitti, Stewart, Spencer roadsters. What has been said above about these old hot rods being recycled into newer builds reminds me of the John Siroonian 1932 Ford Roadster which won the AMBR in '81. Siroonian roadster was built from the old C-T Automotive roadster that ran Bonneville in the 50s with an Ardun.

Back to the Mickelson '32, hopefully Chris can enjoy it as is for a while longer then look to restore it to the Mickelson version, this would be the most significant '32 roadster restoration in more than a decade.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Jimmy, I see a lot of fine details in the Mickelson Roadster, hope more original photos are out there. Bob

Stogy likes this.
  15. 67Coug

67Coug

Put it back to the 1947 version! Send that BrandX engine back where it came from!

Stogy and FlatheadRods like this.
  16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm . . . pretty fucking cool. And I guess the ultimate hot rod provenance includes having run at the dry lakes in the late '40s and early '50s, can't be that many of those still out there, can there?

Stogy, FlatheadRods and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. GeeRam

GeeRam

Indeed, only 3 other roadsters on that list posted a faster speed....!!

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.

18. EXACTLY! I am pretty sure the photo of it in the parking lot is at Pomona, I probably didn't give it a second look. Honestly it is so unassuming, I would probably glance at it, see the four bar and move on and not once ever think of what it could have been!

19. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

its original guise was so good.

20. flamingokid

flamingokid

As a name car, I would hope that he take it back to its original form. Not only for the historical aspect, but because it just looked better. :)

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Soooo 'similar' to the plight of the McGee '32 roadster. After the many movies it was in, and the SBCs that sat between those rails.
    Bet I walked past it at Pomona too, scowling at the 4 bar...
    Could our own HAMB be responsible for most of these post-'street rod' lives getting new old blood transplanted in the shape of flatheads, wishbones, and the way we were?
    Bet it was 90+% HAMB...

Stogy, 48fordnut, popawolf and 3 others like this.
  22. Nobey

Nobey

I had no idea Gene had owned this car. This is really good news Chris, and I hope you can return
    your roadster back to it's former Glory. I'd be glad to help in any way......

23. bertha01

bertha01

very cool. great story[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. there's always that hope you'll find the one you seek........ that # 5 roadster entry.jpg

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Wish that I could see the left side of that page.
    I’d love to see the programs from that year.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Gene Scott had his 32 Roadster for years.....In the late 80’s Roy Brizio did that yellow chassis under it.
    There is even more to this cars history in how Chris came to be its care taker.
    Take a ride over to Gene Scott’s Antique Automotive and talk to Jim Gordon, there’s pix in a photo album that shows it going away and coming back.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  27. FlatheadRods

FlatheadRods

You would never have known that that car with the exaggerated small block and strange paint job was a true racer and not one of the typical fiberglass 32s you see everywhere. This needs to be restored back...

Stogy, 48fordnut and bowie like this.
  28. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well let me say what most have already said; if this is Jack's car, I hope Chris can see his way to restore it to it's original glory. What a significant find for our community and the hobby as a whole. I have a few things to say and post so I'll try and keep it short. First off my Dad and Jack were friend's and grew up together. You can see a lot of this history in my thread Lakes Pictures P.R.C.. Jack's Son Fred and I went to High School together and still keep in contact. When I first seen this thread I called him to see what he thought. He said that his Dad had lost track of the car after initially selling it. Last he remembers of it was that it was in Las Vegas and still had the flathead in it. Not sure of the year. He along with everybody else hope's it's the car and would love to see it restored. Fred had given me pictures of his Dad's years ago. I am going to post some of these pictures, with Fred's blessings, in the hope that if Chris does restore the car that it will help with the restoration and maybe some inspiration also.;) So if you're listening Chris, the pressure is on!:):) Love this first picture with the Calori car in the background!! Jack Mickelson #03 600 dpi color tiff copy (1).jpg IMG_0819.JPG IMG_2155.JPG IMG_1483.JPG Jack Mickelson #08 600 dpi grayscale tiff copy.jpg

Jack Mickelson #03 600 dpi color tiff copy (1).jpg

29. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those of you who don't know El Mirage, this is what it looked like back then, and has not changed too much since. Except population obviously. ;)

Jack Mickelson #14 1200 dpi grayscale tiff copy.jpg