Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Ford Shoebox Power Steering

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Watersrl, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Watersrl

Watersrl

Hey I’m new to the forum. I just bought a 1949 Ford Two door sedan. This is my first experience with these cars. Previous owner had converted manual steering to power steering. Unfortunately he passed and had no paperwork on the car. Power steering box is leaking really bad. So here is the question, does anyone know what power steering box will work on a 1949 Ford Shoebox with a flathead V8? Thanks!

AChopped1950ford and Casey Riley like this.
  2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I'm watching.

AChopped1950ford likes this.
  3. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

They were using the volvo box, can you post a few pictures of the box, top ,side, bottom , that would help us identify the box for you, also was the ford sub framed ?

4. Watersrl

Watersrl

Attached Files:

5. To many options there. You need to post up some photos like mentioned above. Mine has Power also and even with the Hood open guys that should know generally are wrong.
    The Wizzard

6. Watersrl

Watersrl

Original front end as far as I can tell. No sure about the exhaust headers. Previous owner had the car for 20 years or so. Looks like he did all the work himself.

7. I think it's safe to say it's not Volvo. I don't know for sure what it is but it looks like the box from 60's Chrysler product from the top and the way the hoses connect. Now that comment is from going way back in my memory and I can say it's not as good as it used to be.
    The Wizzard

8. What's cot coupler to the steering shaft look like?

9. Watersrl

Watersrl

Attached Files:

10. That's a standard after market U-Joint. don't help me much, sorry. The press in cup and snap ring over the sector gear is a good give away but it escapes me just what it is plus being reverse steer.
    Good luck

11. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Aren't Isuzu boxes reverse steering and compatible? I thought I remember seeing that somewhere

12. Watersrl

Watersrl

Thanks guys for all the comments! Hopefully myself or someone can figure it out.

13. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

The previous owner who passed, does he live close by you ? if so ask his friends , surely one of them might help you, ask around who knew him.

14. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Looks like a Mopar box to me

15. Watersrl

Watersrl

Unfortunately he lived in PA and I live in FL. I did ask his son who asked his Mom, but no luck.

16. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Its an early 80's 605 GM box

17. Watersrl

Watersrl

OK, got the steering box off today. took some photos to see if anyone can help me to identify exactly what it is.

Attached Files:

18. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

It sure appears to be a 605[​IMG]

19. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

605comp.jpg It looks to me like a modified GM 605 box similar to what they use in the 55-57
    chevy upgrade.

Hnstray likes this.
  20. Looking at your photos it brings back memories of around 20 years ago and a company named Gearhead Cruzer parts. I had a customer buy a power conversion box from them for his 49 Merc. It had a plate welded to it just like yours. The box was a Junk Yard used unit that once installed was worse that the stock one we removed. After being blown off by the supplier we finally I.D. it as a 65 F-100 unit. I sent it out and had it rebuilt and it actually worked pretty good.
    The Wizzard

21. Watersrl

Watersrl

22. Watersrl

Watersrl

Ok, so it looks like the power steering box I have is a no go. Apparently it is a custom made piece of junk, that is not able to be rebuilt. At this point I am looking to go back to manual steering. Shoebox Central sells a rebuilt steering box, but it sells for over $600.00. Does anyone know of any other options for a manual steering setup?

23. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

24. Watersrl

Watersrl

25. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

26. Watersrl

Watersrl

27. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

So glad to hear that. One of our members of the 52-59 Ford Group had his stock gear rebuilt by them and he loves it. Sure hated to see you abandon your power steering. Hard to come by on early Fords.

28. I just put a 99 Jeep Cherokee box on my 51 mercury. It’s almost a bolt in. You can use your stock pitman arm. You need to clock it 180*. And it’s got more header room. I got it off eBay $60.

Barons hotrods and kustoms fb
    Baronmetal ig

29. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can’t help with the box, but every time I drive the 12 miles to go see Mom I drive right by the Redhead Auburn, WA store. They are very well thought of up here.

30. Watersrl

Watersrl

I want to thank everyone for their comments. What an awesome site......
    Turns out the power steering box was a one of a kind fabricated by unknown, so I couldn’t find another one like it. Good news is Redhead Steering Gear in Auburn WA was able to rebuild it. Completely rebuilt with a new valve installed in 2 days and cost was under $500 including shipping from SW Florida. Great company and I would highly recommend! Took her out yesterday for the time, still smiling!

DIYGUY likes this.