Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958-59 Hillman Husky build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, May 27, 2018.

1. Last edited: May 29, 2018
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  2. I know this isn't fakebook, but I had to share. I went to the DMV this morning (took the day off), I was in line before they opened. The DMV person came out, divided the line, proceeded to tell us to be prepared to spend 4 -5 hours there and that the "system" didn't come up fully. Some people left cussing up a storm, I was in and out in 30 minutes!!!!. Here in So Cal (at least OC) that's a new land speed record (without an appointment...which all are a month out).

Well, now it's in my name....I found a rear and I'm going to check it out Saturday.......hopefully I'll find a trans at the wrecking yard the same day.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    jnaki likes this.
  3. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Awesome little car. The 4 cyl eng will be all you need. I like your plans. Go.

4. BJR

BJR

I would drive that, looks like a nice around town car. Bet it gets good gas mileage too.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

As far rear axle a 70s CJ5 is about the right width but the bolt pattern is 5 on 5.5.

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I've said it before and I'll say it again .... you sir, have a problem,
    nice buy though ;-)

7. The Motorsport Valve Cover is very desirable among the 2.3 crowd. I have seen them sell for over $200.

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

KOOL Deal, A Hot Rod is different in everyone's deal, If this makes you tickle, build it as you see fit. I always look at the different rides at events, I, myself as a person am "Unique" wife uses weird, but in my car world I've never have had anything truly unique, other side of coin, like my life, I do what I like, don't need HAMB or anyone's permission on my vision on anything. Good Luck ! Have Fun ! Be Safe !

Glitchy likes this.
  9. I picked up the new rear end, looks like even the spring pads will line up. I just have to modify the upper u bolt plates. This one might be a slow build as I'm going to do the panel truck at the same time.

B210 rear end-1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  10. Found some newer S/W gauges that are still made in the USA (late 70's?), but they match the speedo that's still in the car.
    newer usa sw-1.jpg

The one good gauge left in the car.....
    dash gauges-2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Pick-aPart is having another 40% off on Fathers Day weekend, so hopefully I'll find a T5 for the 2.3......AFTER LARS on Friday of course :).

12. I'll see what LARS swap meet holds for me, I need a steering wheel and either a small tach or clock to fill the extra hole. Yes, I'm getting rid of the shifter, radio/console, ignition switch, headlight switch and wiring too.
    interior-3.jpg

13. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

You know they're working as fast as they can. epic_fails_15.jpg

saltflats likes this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

DMV. The last of the 'love/hate things'... Hopefully.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Cool little car! I'd be tempted to put a straight axle under the front.

16. Well, found an old Superior steering wheel for $25 and I found an S10 mechanical speedo T5 at the wrecking yard on Sat.......so not a bad weekend. The camera really makes the rust in the center stand out, it's not nearly that bad in person.
    interior-4.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  17. Went to another junk yard and found a T5 that will work. After reading more I should have grabbed a Ranger roller cam and followers also (for when the cam in it wears).........oh well I'll wait until the next sale.

18. Ok, this is what someone does when they need hard to find spare parts and has a day to kill..........plus has a few loose screws :).

Great now I have a plastic shed and Hillman gardens.

Got this one DIRT cheap and has almost all parts except the original front seats (and 3 wheels).
    3.jpg 5.jpg IMG_2164.JPG

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    scrap metal 48, 34 GAZ and Stovebolt like this.
  19. 35desoto

35desoto

defintely a 57 or 58 - there is no chrome around the front windscreen and the front park lights are set in the grille. Husky's also ran the same body style on for some years rather than following the sedan or saloon styling. Back in the day they were just a work horse, bare bones, no extras and expected to work hard.

verde742 likes this.
  20. Funny, the silver one is titled as a 1959 and this one didn't have a title (but that's the life of a imported car back then I guess?). Bare bones is right, but I like them because of that. I also really looked at this one (didn't really notice on the silver one) that my idea of just unbolting the front sheet metal isn't going to work......I'm going to have to come up with a plan B.

Here's the engine shot....pretty complete.
    engine-1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    scrap metal 48 likes this.
  21. How about that. Someone else saved that one all those years just for you. Two Husky,s now. Wonderful.

22. rudestude

rudestude

I like it... I sold my 57 Hillman Husky wagon last year or so... bought it around 18 yrs ago never did a lot to it one of them some day projects.....even though it was a one owner original paint didn't run car...stuff happens...seeing that Loyd that was posted earlier brought this contraption that my brother bought in Seattle to mind because it's body , axle , brakes and steering column was from a Loyd car...the hub caps said Loyd on them the thing was a Ice cream cart built using bicycle parts and the Loyd parts ....different.... I ended up rebuilding the rear frame ,rusted away, and used a Vespa tire and wheel with a sprocket on one side and a disk brake on the other also added a jack shaft with a multiple gear setup for better gear selection...the Hillman convert my brother picked up at a farm that he was doing a estate sale at ...the original owners drove the car until it had a transmission problem in 1967 so the guy put it in the barn pulled the trans and that was it ...till my brother bought it ...then give it to me....now his youngest daughter wants it ...so we're going to put some modern power in it find the correct grill, the one in it is from a Husky.....the original was damaged by the owner when he hit it with his tractor while it was in the barn....cool little cars... IMG_20181008_024909~2.jpeg IMG_20181008_024957~2.jpeg IMG_20181008_024928~2.jpeg IMG_20181008_025023_1~2.jpeg 418.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1oldtimer and 34 GAZ like this.
  23. 35desoto

35desoto

The convertible certainly has the wrong grille.
    It looks like a 1959 grille Series 2 sitting in a series 3a or 3b body. You can tell its the later model by the outer shape of the grille opening in the body and the twin chrome strips down the side - A 3 c body had one chrome strip down the side but the same grille. And there are no bolt on bolt off panels other than the doors hood and boot. The earlier Husky photo are from early 50's (54/55/56) and is probably around a mark 6 or 7 or even a mark 8 and again no easy removal of guards etc.

24. 35desoto

35desoto

And amongst all of this Hillman/Rootes group ran the Husky body styles well past when the cars had finished so yes its possible the mid 50.s body styles were being sold in the late 50's. Again they were seen as working girls so the latest styling was not necessary. I do note though the Smiths heater in the shot of the engine bay of the later body styled one - that was an extra LOL

25. rudestude

rudestude

That's why I said that it didn't have the correct grill ..that the owner had damaged it with his tractor while it was sitting in the barn and the one in it now is from a Husky....also ... anyone need a new condenser for there Hillman....got one...or two... IMG_20181008_122348.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

IowaMercMan likes this.
  26. I did like the older body style but this is the only one I've seen around here (there WAS a '57 in Oregon a few years back). But luckily I did get this one as I found the same parts car. The parts car has everything I would need and all the chrome is in great shape (minus the bumpers) and it even has the dash with stock gauges. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to go more of a stocker look (put back the vent windows, stock hood and gauges) or stay with what's there (or a mixture of both) but I have options now.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. More info, the disc setup is from an early 60's Sunbeam Alpine 3 (the whole crossmember bolts in) that has kingpins. The hot ticket would be a narrowed M2, a Tiger or a IV/V Alpine front end. Now I'm thinking about trying to get the parts car titled since it's pretty complete.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

If I remember correctly the Husky front seats, were on a slide but it was hinged at the front to tip forward to allow rear seat access.

I had one when I was a Rootes dealer in the early 60’s. I put a Alpine Stage 2 engine and close ratio tranny in it and welded the spider gears to lock up the rear end. It was my (illegal) ice racer and parts chaser. A little hard to steer on pavement and hard on rear tires.

29. IF I can title the parts car, I think that will get the hopped up 2.0 Pinto motor and a 5 spd.........but that's another build thread :).

30. Found some seats out of a '59 Renault (at the Big 3 swap meet), looks like they'll fit and I have to make some mounting. Going into the parts Hillman. renault seat-1.jpg
    renault seat-2.jpg