Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A experts please advise !

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bondojunkie, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Picked up a truck project yesterday (supposed to be a 29), and doors have different shape at belt line. Are these coupe doors ?

Attached Files:

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

28/29 Coupe doors would be shorter in height then 28/29 truck doors.. They do have coupe size reveal however... May be I should just say I don't know what you have...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    bondojunkie likes this.
  3. Those are Model A doors but I'm not sure about the cab. Got anymore pictures?

bondojunkie likes this.
  4. Scrap- thanks, that answers that. they are way short at the top. My first A , so I'm learning as I go. The price was decent and truck came with a ton of extra parts so no disappointments.

scrap metal 48 likes this.

5. flatford39

flatford39

Those are the wrong doors although they are Ford 28 29. Could be coupe or sedan. Probably tudor sedan as they fill the width opening. Your truck shared the doors from 26 27 Model T tudors if that is any help. Pay attention to the hinges. The T hinges may be different than the A hinges.
    They are getting harder and harder to find but they are out there. Saw a decent one yesterday at a swap meet. Guy wanted $400.00. I should have offered him $300.00.

bondojunkie likes this.
  6. thanks guys- lesson learned. it's a shame , these doors are super solid, and still have regulators and glass in them. Hopefully I can sell them for enough to cover cost of a decent set of truck doors. And thanks for the tip on the T doors, that widens my possibilities for sure.

7. 1stGrumpy- your sedan build is on my "A Banger watch list" of favorite threads. The banger that will eventually go in this truck has the same B head as yours

8. Just do a little creative curvy surgery and blend the belt lines.
    On that cab swoop it up on top and swoop it down on the bottom.

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

28/29 coupe and sedan doors are the same but different on 30/31 coupe and sedan.. Just chop the top and chop the doors to match the top.. Problem solved...

Jet96 and bondojunkie like this.
  10. Now that's how a hot rodder solves a problem! Always wanted to try a chop job; and this would be about as straight forward a chop as you could ask for.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  11. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

A Mild chop on the cab and you'll be looking good

117harv and bondojunkie like this.
  12. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

or split the cab beltline down the middle, move it up and down to match the doors, then fill the gap in the center

bondojunkie likes this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

I think you have a car cowl too.

F&J and bondojunkie like this.
  14. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

you might want to make the belt line on the cab match the doors. it's shorter and less work to do.

15. alchemy- doors seem to match the cowl much better than cab rear, so maybe. would a truck cowl be taller than a car? I always thought they shared the same cowl.

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

yup, '28-'29 tudor, coupe, sport coupe and delivery doors... you need '26-'27 ford T coupe and tudor or '28-'29 truck doors... they sell new doors but cost $1300.00 each... ouch !

17. alchemy

alchemy

The posts on the cowl are different between car and pickup. The car posts have hinges (in 28-29) that bolt to the outer surface, with the bolts hidden inside. The pickup has flat hinges with screws from the door jamb.

Yes, the pickup cowl is taller to match the doors, and the panel above the windshield is a bit taller too. Should have some odd corner brackets at the very top of the posts to hold the top wood framework, which will overhang the visor just a little.

Looking at your pic I think I see a car cowl and doors. If you aren't a stickler for originality, it would be easiest to chop the back panel a bit to match the height, and modify the beltline molding to match the door. The latch area will need a complete rework though, and I'm not sure how the curve of the door matches the back panel.

F&J likes this.
  18. Hammertime

Hammertime

flatford39-sloppy jalopies-alchemy are right. I wouldn't cut it up the to match belt line it looks like a solid cab.Give me a PM I. 'll come and give it a look over if that would help. I'm in Weekee Wachee. Willie

19. F&J

F&J

Take some pics in the car showing how the sills are built, and where the door hinges fit onto the A pillar of the cowl.

Sure looks like somebody started with a cutdown car, and added a pickup back panel.. I see no gain by selling the possibly correct doors for that cowl, and then trying to find rare truck doors.."If" it really is a cutdown car.

20. ^^^^ agree^^^ If the doors are good I would just do the chop and fix the belt line on the back of the cab.

bondojunkie and scrap metal 48 like this.
  21. Fit the cab to the doors as 31 Vicky says. The doors also look i touch long for the opening. I know they overlap but it looks a bit extreme, so, if required, cut the subrail and door opening header and extend it to fit. You’ll have a one off, cool little truck.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bondojunkie likes this.
  22. Willie- Hey man I think I used to work with you down at Dave K's rod shop in Port Richey back in the mid 90's. I would appreciate your input; I'll pm you with my contact info and see if we can arrange a time in the next few weeks (assuming we don't get blown away by Hurricane Michael).

23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

check out the beltline just behind the '28-'29 tudor's quarter window, it tapers down to the size of the rear panel's belt... that should be close to that of the '28-'29 truck quarter...
    should make a tasty transition...

bondojunkie likes this.
  24. ...I'd make those doors work, you already have em,...not that hard really...lot's of good suggestions here already

bondojunkie likes this.
  25. you know, it would be nice if when you do the chop, try to get the cab belt line to match up with the door belt line at the top, then all you have to do is curve the bottom of the line down to meet the bottom of the belt line in the door.
    What does the bottom of the door/cab look like? do they line up? In the picture it looks like the door could go up, or the cab down, That would put the belt line right at the bottom part of the belt line, may look better if the top of the belt line lines up but you can make that call.

I think you have a great looking project there!

bondojunkie likes this.
  26. Thanks all for your interest and input, it's been a big help. Been comparing hinges and looking at many pics online and am convinced this is indeed a car cowl and doors that someone has stuck together with the rear of a cab. It's not what I started out to build, but it's what I have, and the cowl and doors are in really decent shape. The body will be on the back burner for a few months until I can get to it, but I'm really getting stoked on it!

Half car/Half truck, I guess it will be a 1929 Model A Ranchero :)

27. alchemy

alchemy

Its a pickup/coupe. Otherwise known as a poupe.

Hotrodmyk and Crankhole like this.
  28. Maybe a Deluxe Poupe' :D???

I agree with the above posts (especially if you're going to chop it)- find a crappy door, take sections of the belt line, then graft them in to the back of the cab.