Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 59 Fairlane engine swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clint86, Dec 3, 2017.

1. The pictures back in post 10 show the roller lifter retainer spider so it already has a roller cam in it. Does it have the E7TE heads? Back in the day they were the hot cheap drag strip head to modify short of aftermarket aluminum.

2. Don't ask me what to put in a '59 Ford. The installation was pretty easy, fabbed up engine mounts that bolt to the stock chassis pads and an adapter plate for the trans crossmember. How hard was the crossmember to get back in? The frame rails as you know are tapered and mine always had to be spread apart to get it back in. The next time it comes out, I will make up pads that bolt to the chassis and modify the crossmember so it goes straight in.
    3-5-012.JPG

3. Now that your done you may never need to remove again but an often heard comment in the Shop was "What the Hell was Ford thinking"? The remedy of the time being us Mechanics couldn't modify every Car we worked on was either a Friction Jack or Port-a-Power. All it takes is a little nudge and that cross member drops right in place. Just saying.
    The Wizzard

4. Clint86

Clint86

I actually kinda cheated a bit. I used the stock mounting plates cut from the original trans mount. I bolted them to the frame and then tack welded my new cross member to them while they were bolted. The cross member goes right on in no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

bobss396 likes this.
  5. Clint86

Clint86

I’ll have to give it a closer look, the rockers were not rollers though. It might be a partial roller system, I’ve heard that Ford used rollers on the cam but not on the rocker arms themselves from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Exactly! That is what makes them a "roller cam" block. Never did they install roller rocker arms at the factory on the 302/351W engine family.

7. We did use a porta power and I've had it out 2 times since the car was put together. The next time I will put some time into it so it drops straight out.

And I had trouble with the nuts inside the chassis spinning, that was a tough fix.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  8. NC Customline

NC Customline

Hello all ,
    I know this is an old thread but I hope someone is still following it . I am currently working on my 55 customline, just picked up my 347 from the machine shop last week . So I hope to fit it this weekend. I will be running an AOD trans with a stall converter, F-303 cam , brawler 750 carb, air gap intake , AFR Heads . If anyone needs a 272 ,3 speed trans let me know.

warhorseracing and bobss396 like this.