Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Fall Carlisle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spillaneswillys, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Ehh that is my review for today's visit to Carlisle. There was a lot of empty spaces and a lot of crap. That is not really a bad review if you compare it to the past 10 shows. It's just the way it is going. There was a fair amount of old sheet metal and some nice vendors with new stuff. I guess a good review is in the buy of the beholder. I didn't buy anything or find what I was looking for so Ehh.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. v8duece

v8duece
    from jersey

Did you show up after hours?

Attached Files:

3. I was there all day. It was just okay.

4. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

To many vendors, FC is a staging area for Hershey. That explains the greater amount of old sheet metal.
    Number of vendors selling signs, gas pumps, etc. on the rise.
    Vendors from the tail end of the north field are being moved to the front- leaving large empty spaces in the back.
    Trinket sellers and non-auto vendors creaping back in.
    The auction has hurt the car corral.
    I went Wednesday and Friday. Enjoyed both days. Bought a handful of parts.

Rewind and head to Hershey.

5window likes this.

5. pkhammer

pkhammer

Too busy getting loaded for Hershey to make it to Carlisle but last couple of times I was there in the fall I was disappointed in the number of vendors and the offerings. The internet has hurt the swap meets I think.

6. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Charlotte Auto Fair was the same, spring & fall. Attendance is way down, price of spaces keeps rising.

7. Every year I tell my wife I am not going to these things anymore. The interweb has everything I need and the shipping is mostly free. I spend 40 bucks by the time I'm through the gate. The lure of finding that one unique piece keeps beckoning me to go back..

chevy57dude likes this.
  8. There's no substitute for real face to face interaction with fellow hot rodders. It's going to be a sad day indeed when the swap meets go away. It's impossible to get the smell of 90 weight gear oil and sausages cooking on the internet.

9. I get a chuckle when I walk by and just get one earful of a conversation. Things like "Original" or "Mint" or "Rare" kind of fill the air!

10. 5window

5window

I went Thursday, did about half before my leg gave out! Turns out to be a Baker's cyst, aggravated by dancing, painting a barn on a ladder and building a flagstone sidewalk. Refusing to ride a cart, I'll have to miss Hershey this year since about 50 feet is what I can comfortably limp. Ah. Carlisle was ok on stuff. down on vendors. There was nothing critical on my list except hot sausage, so that's what I got

chevy57dude likes this.
  11. [QUOTE="chevy57dude, post: It's impossible to get the smell of 90 weight gear oil and sausages cooking on the internet.[/QUOTE]

Thought those snausages were cooked in 90 weight to get that flavor.

Caught up on some shop supplys. Bought a sign. Not much else. Hoping for a find at Hershey.

Definatly a smaller amonut of venders by roughly 15 - 20 %

Oldmics

12. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I think the spring show is the only sorta worth it. Fall has been a disappointment for a while.
    My 2cts

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. ..........I agree, but Hershey has them both beat.

ct1932ford, chevy57dude and Dino 64 like this.
  14. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

You’re right Don, Hershey is almost overwhelming, in a good way

15. pkhammer

pkhammer

chevy1957dude is right, it'll be a sad day indeed when we all get to the point where we just sit on our sofa with the laptop and do our cars/parts buying and selling. I'm not sure what has happened to some of the shows that were once must-go's. It's sad. So what's happening?
    -We're all getting older
    -The younger generation is not into it
    -It's easier to sit on our butts in front of the computer
    -Hotels, gas, and time off work is expensive
    -Vending is a major amount of work
    Dang it sure is a lot of fun though!

lothiandon1940 and chevy57dude like this.
  16. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have to agree with everything you say. I have went to Spring Carlisle since 1984 and will go as long as I can still walk. Yes, the vendors are fewer that they were, the prices are too high most of the time, hotels, gas and food cost more every year, but we have about 6or 7 of us go and we have more fun than a box of comic books every time. I have never been to fall Carlisle but I hear it is not as good as the spring meet. I have been going to Hershey every October since I retired in 2013 and I look forward to it as THE one not to miss. If you have never been to Hershey you can't believe the amount of cars and parts there is available. Three more days until we head for PA, can't wait!!:D

chevy57dude and Dino 64 like this.
  17. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Went Thursday got there a little after seven ,ate a delicious breakfast at the resturant outside the fair .walked the whole thing (had to put it down in low gear to get up the hill in the back ) but was suprized how many empty spaces . They are not helping the vendors or buyers by letting the hard top roads ( isles ) deterorate.Bought a few goodies but nothing I had to have . Looking forward to Hershey if the weathers good ( yes I will be a fair weather shopper ) my lovely wife of 38 years said she would go ! Wow ! Been many many years since she said she would go .might not see it all cause of my sidekick . Anyway definetly easier walking .Guess I better practice ?Whats that? Yes dear ,no dear

chevy57dude and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. RM209

RM209
    from MD

Interesting thread. I went to Carlisle yesterday and the weather was nice, but very disappointed to see how many empty spaces there were in the car corral out back, and in the surrounding vendor spaces. Fortunately, I found some good deals on most of the supplies I need. Yup, looking forward to Hershey next week as well.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20. I never in my life thought about buying an 80's Monte Carlo. I noticed at least one dealer advertising parts strictly for those cars. It takes alot for me to even look at one but they are over forty years old so the next generation of hot rods is born.

21. joburnsjo

joburnsjo

I use to vend and the people traffic went way down now if I go its just for the buddy experience the prices on every thing went thru the roof and everybody wants everything for nothing

22. v8duece

v8duece
    from jersey

Look at all this goodness!!

20181004_180008.jpg
    20181004_175638.jpg 20181004_155625.jpg 20181004_135937.jpg 20181003_142930.jpg 20181004_090142.jpg 20181004_133512.jpg 20181003_172913.jpg

Stogy and chevy57dude like this.
  23. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

24. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

There's a lot of empty space on that hill that wasn't there when I last came over for fall Carlisle and Hershey in 2016. But I'm sure I'll be over again for these two shows

25. Never been to Hershey. But everyone’s Bitchin sounds like the LARS bitchin but on the east coast. I’ve have always taken a look at the cool pictures. And would like to go someday. Now I know how looks on out west coast posts haha.

Just a thought to some of you guys, post in classifieds that you are going or have something to sell maybe you will sell stuff drop it off there. It see it all the time in some forums where some sellers Presell items before even going.
    Maybe even posting wanted ads. But pay or pick up in person.

Btw. I would rather see more pics of cool stuff. Please keep posting them.