Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine swap 302 Ford to 1947 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Crow, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Joe Crow

Joe Crow

I know this swap has been made but I have not been able to find any articles detailing the swap. Any help in finding the details will be greatly appreciated.
    I want to replace the original flathead V8 engine in my 1947 Ford Coupe but leave original transmission, clutch, and all the other original running gear intact. The original engine is already gone but the original transmission and clutch are intact. I have a good Ford 302 and want to use it. The parts I already have are:
    1) Trans-Dapt AH-4 adapter to join the Ford 302 engine to stock 1947 transmission.
    2) Rear sump oil pan and oil pump from early Ford Bronco.

There are some details remaining that I hope someone who has made this swap can help me with.

1) Front motor mounts. Are these available to bolt in or do I need to fabricate them?
    2) What 302 Ford flywheel to use with the original ford 10-inch clutch. Is the original pressure plate used or is the later 302 pressure plate used with the original 10-inch clutch disk?
    3) What starter is used?
    4) Are there any particular Ford exhaust manifolds that work well for this swap. (I will fabricate and TIG weld a custom stainless steel exhaust system to fit.)
    5) Radiator. Is there a later radiator that lends itself nicely for this swap?

I have had this car since high school back in 1967. The original motor bit the dust some years ago and my goal is to resurrect the ride and do some easy and gentle cruising. No racing or burnouts, just simplicity and reliability. Will add some skirts, spinner hub caps, blue dots, and fuzzy dice. Any help with the above questions will be appreciated. If you know of any source detailing this swap, please direct me to it. Thanks.
    IMG_1699.JPG

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

scratched this out, last chassis build. DSCN1468.JPG

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

My F-1 has a 68 302 and it was done with some custom made parts some that were copies of 1960s Hurst Mounts...
    F-1 and Early Ford V8 are the same.
    Please excuse the ugliness of all this.....the truck is being cleaned up...right now.

Below is a view towards the front from underneath the cab Note how a short filter was used and the flathead frame mount base was notched for the fuel line....[​IMG]
    Untitled
    by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    Transmission adapter...
    [​IMG]Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr

Behind the coil is the top of the "Hurst style Mount". It bolts to the head.
    Looking up at the Hurst mount between the head and the upside down GM alternator.

Truck manifold fabricated to clear steering gear. Your 46 gear may be at a different location and angle.

Flathead Engine stand notched for the SBF fuel pump. A small diameter mechanical pump was used.

Mechanical Fan....All Ford

The ancient fabricated Hurst Mount....

This SBF is mounted like a flathead on the same flathead biscuits and frame mounts.
    The advantage of of this is it opens up the engine bay for more exhaust choices.

My thoughts and advice.....I inherited this set up from the Previous owner... There's some things about it I'm not to crazy about but it is...done well and it's period.
    You may can find these type mounts but I really doubt it....You'll have to make this type.

There's other options...The main reason I post this is a SBF will go where a Flahead goes and with a mechanical fan.
    Mount options....
    Tube crossmember....Dead center of the engine and it limits exhaust choices like block huggers.
    Side frame stands....it can limit exhaust choices...
    Side front mount with a tower like a 331 Caddillac....Homemade..need to be engineered well.

Exhaust....
    Early rear dump 289 type may interfere with the floor pedals....
    Truck type manifolds may need to be modified like above...
    You can slide the engine over some to the passenger side....
    Watch steering gear clearance.....

You may want to mock up the mounts and exhaust with engine in the engine bay.

Standard flathead clutch and pressure plate was used.
    Standard SBF manual flywheel was used but it was drilled and tapped for the flathead pressure plate.
    SBF starter was used that matched the Flywheel teeth.

warhorseracing likes this.
  4. Joe Crow

Joe Crow

F-ONE,
    Thanks for your reply and the good pics, especially of your front engine mounts. I hope to avoid drilling and tapping a flywheel. Maybe find a pressure plate for the later 302 flywheel that will accommodate the 47s 10 inch clutch disk.
    [​IMG]
    Untitled
    by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    Transmission adapter...

Behind the coil is the top of the "Hurst style Mount". It bolts to the head.
    Looking up at the Hurst mount between the head and the upside down GM alternator.

Truck manifold fabricated to clear steering gear. Your 46 gear may be at a different location and angle.

Flathead Engine stand notched for the SBF fuel pump. A small diameter mechanical pump was used.

Mechanical Fan....All Ford

The ancient fabricated Hurst Mount....

This SBF is mounted like a flathead on the same flathead biscuits and frame mounts.
    The advantage of of this is it opens up the engine bay for more exhaust choices.

My thoughts and advice.....I inherited this set up from the Previous owner... There's some things about it I'm not to crazy about but it is...done well and it's period.
    You may can find these type mounts but I really doubt it....You'll have to make this type.

There's other options...The main reason I post this is a SBF will go where a Flahead goes and with a mechanical fan.
    Mount options....
    Tube crossmember....Dead center of the engine and it limits exhaust choices like block huggers.
    Side frame stands....it can limit exhaust choices...
    Side front mount with a tower like a 331 Caddillac....Homemade..need to be engineered well.

Exhaust....
    Early rear dump 289 type may interfere with the floor pedals....
    Truck type manifolds may need to be modified like above...
    You can slide the engine over some to the passenger side....
    Watch steering gear clearance.....

You may want to mock up the mounts and exhaust with engine in the engine bay.

Standard flathead clutch and pressure plate was used.
    Standard SBF manual flywheel was used but it was drilled and tapped for the flathead pressure plate.
    SBF starter was used that matched the Flywheel teeth.[/QUOTE]

Do it Over likes this.

5. Joe Crow

Joe Crow

Thanks for the pic and measurements. I do plan to use the stock 47 standard shift transmission.

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Joe.
    I recommend that you do use the flathead pressure plate. It's easy peasy....Find a clutch shop and have them drill and tap your flywheel for the early Ford pressure plate and also surface your pressure plate and flywheel. The pilot bearing is no big deal but they can do that too. My clutch man even supplied the Early Ford alignment tool.

Clutch back....1947
    Flywheel forward....1968 or 1963 if you use 289 valve covers:rolleyes:,

The car still thinks it has a flahead.

This makes a raw as a beef steak on the hoof, honest to goodness hot rod!
    1960s OHV V8 in a Early V8 Ford with the original running gear.....I love it. My F1 will never see the flathead again.

Some words word of caution.
    Winding out Second is an absolute Blast!
    Winding out Third can kill you!
    She'll fly on the top.
    This set up is not for kids.

7. sololobo

sololobo

love this choice, keep on keepin on bro

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

'68- 289/c4/9"... made them to fit after pulling my 268"/AOD...

DSCN1067.JPG

deathrowdave likes this.
  9. mvweaver

mvweaver

As for radiator my 42 pickup with 302 uses the factory radiator with 4lb cap and mechanical fan. My father-in-law built the truck and used it as his daily driver in NM and TX. It never overheated. I know the 42 truck frame is different than the cars, but he built frame mounts and used the factory SB engine mounts. It has the same small oil filter used as pictured above. He didn’t retain the original driveline but did keep it all Ford. -Matt

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Joe Crow

Joe Crow

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

years back had a '47 with 302 -set when I got it - seems like it had universal mounts from speedwaymotors.com - used '67 Mustang radiator - stock exhaust manifolds

12. footbrake

footbrake

I can guarantee that the first time you forget and let go of the clutch with the new engine that tranny is going to lunch.

13. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Maybe not....
    The 50 3 speed in my F1 has been behind at least one flathead and is on it's second SBF.
    On mine she'll balk a little if you try to mamhandle it.
    On the the other hand, if you try to baby it with sissy limp wristed shifts..... it really will raise cane!
    It likes firm confident shifts and she'll be smooth as silk.
    A early V8 car is a little more problematic with the closed drive.

For a F1 or a Ford V8 car converted to open drive, a C4 or 3.03 will fit. With no major modification A 64 or 63 3.03 may even use the same driveshaft and yoke.

14. Joe Crow

Joe Crow

Thanks for the info on the manifolds and radiator. I will take a look at the measurements on the 67 Mustang radiator. Trying to keep it "bolt in" as much as possible.

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

try a Modine #397.... 60's ford 6 cyl. pick up.... center cap... tapered top tank...fits in a '28 A shell...
    $125 to $150 depends on your parts store discount.

16. topher5150

topher5150

I'm a little confused...OP is setting a 302 in a 47 coupe, but it seems everyone is talking about trucks. Chassis Engineering has a bolt on engine mount kit for the 46-48 Ford cars

Kustomline54 likes this.
  17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The trucks use the same basic engine mounts. If that product works for cars, likely it will work for trucks too.

18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I used side mount , biscuits from a flat motor for the insulator ( mount ) mount on the frame is same as SBC , it works great in my 32 . You may have room for this type also

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

For the flywheel we need to know what year the 302 is and what tooth count of flywheel is the adapter made for,since it has a 10 inch clutch they are usually a 157 tooth flywheel so if its a pre 81 302 a 65 galaxie and 60s and 70s mustang 157 tooth flywheel should work and if is a post 81 302 and fox body mustang 157 tooth flywheel should work. The original pressure plate is the 3 fingered style and I know the 65 galaxie used that style too so it should bolt up to a 60s through 70s flywheel,if the adapter is made for a 164 tooth flywheel truck flywheels will be needed. I have found that a new aftermarket flywheel is drilled for 3 different sized pressure plates.

20. Joe Crow

Joe Crow

21. Joe Crow

Joe Crow

I checked online at the Chassis Engineering site and the only kits I found were for the swaps using the IFS. I am planning to keep original straight axle suspension intact. Later today I plan to email CE and see if they do have a kit for the 302 swap that I am wanting to make. Thanks for reply.

22. topher5150

topher5150

That's really weird. I wonder if some of the stuff didn't carry over after they got bought out. You can always check e-bay

23. Joe Crow

Joe Crow

I believe the 302 is from an 89 Ford truck with both exhaust manifolds dumping to rear. Do you happen to have a source and part number for the flywheel you mentioned? Thanks for reply.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The flywheel I got for a friend was a 164 tooth for the older 28 ounce balance at Autozone,it all depends on the size of the flywheel the adapter is made for and if its the larger a late 80s truck should work and if its for the smaller a 89 mustang would be the one.