Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ideas for cool looking by-pass oil filtering on a '41 flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by banjorear, Oct 2, 2018.

1. banjorear

banjorear

So, you learn something every day. After speaking to Ronnie Roadster, I learned that a '41-42 Merc block can't easily be converted to full-flow oil filtering due to the lack of the send/return boss like a 59AB-series motor.

This leaves me with two options: No filter or the by-pass filter. I'd like to use a filter. I'm not looking for a better way to mount a by-pass set than the stock style on the head.

What have you guys done to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Tim

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "traditional" answer is to use a "Beehive" filter housing mounted on the firewall. Speedway still sells a version; it doesn't quite look like what I remember, though.

Hemiman 426 likes this.
  3. banjorear

banjorear

Thanks. I should have been more clear. Trying to stay with an early '40's time period. From what I gather, that Filcolator "beehive" came out in the '50's.

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In that case, "traditional" would be no filter.

5. banjorear

banjorear

I know. I keep going back and forth on this.

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not really up on Beehive filters, so I don't know when they first were used. Maybe someone else on here with more of a "historical" leaning will know; an original might be period correct. I personally like bypass filters and think if maintained properly do a lot to keep the oil cleaner than a full flow system. I think they are much better suited for cars like ours and the way the are used than any full flow system.

7. BJR

BJR

You would be better off with a filter regardless of the era.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Filters are demonstrative of the reason that folks have livers...

9. I know some cars used bypass filters back in the '40's so just find a stock unit and plumb it up. I guess that won't have the custom look but that is what they would have done back in the 40's if someone wanted a filter.

10. Scruffy49

Scruffy49

Had bypass filters on the 218 and 230 Plymouth engines. Sold one, the other has gone missing. They worked fine. Preferred the one with copper hard lines to the one with rubber lines.

4wd drive guys routinely add single to triple remote mount filters to their trucks. Indian Larry ran bypass oil filters on his HD builds.

You could get the best of both worlds... a small chrome version with hardlines. They are really for antique Harleys, and chrome leaves me cold but... beats no filter.

11. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

I did a bit of research on this last year before adding a filter to my 8BA block.

In general, a bypass system filters approximately 20% of the oil that is pumped from your oil pump. At highway speeds a 100% of the oil in your engine gets filtered about every 20 minutes. Diesel trucks and some racing applications use a bypass system because of the filtering capability. In those systems, the filter itself is different than a full flow filter and can filter down to about 5 microns. This can increase oil change times and reduce engine wear caused by contaminates.

In a full flow oil system typically oil is filtered only down to about 20 microns.

Looking at a period correct flathead application your options are limited. An original flathead bypass filter was around 25 to 30 microns. If you go with a modern style bypass filter you can get the advantages of better filtering but the drawback is a modern look. O’Brian Truckers offers a modified copy of an Hildebrant oil filter that takes a standard spin on oil filter that i was able to find at 20 microns. www.obrientruckers.com

Personally took the tact that oil filtering at any level was better than none.

Here is a picture of my install with the Hildebrant oil filter.
    [​IMG]

If you decide to go with a bypass filter you will also need a
    .060 oil feed restrictor. This is required to keep your engine oil pressure from dropping to low.

This is the the one I used.
    [​IMG]

I hope this helps you in your decision.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Your engine looks... AWESOME

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. banjorear

banjorear

14. I had a chrome chev filter in my stash that I used on my '40[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and Asphalt Demon like this.
  15. banjorear

banjorear

I'm leaning towards firewall mounting as well. It's a '28 Roadster, so things are a tad tight in there.

16. FRANTZ makes chrome bypass (Toilet Paper Filters) I use them and am convinced that they do what the manufacturer claims.

tubman likes this.
  17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Not saying a bypass filter isn’t effective here but I just change my oil every 1000 miles without a filtering system.
    We aren’t talking everyday drivers here.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it takes an hour at freeway speed to cycle once through the filter 100%, the typical run to the cruise in or a putter about town will filter...almost nothing. I spent a ton of money on my flathead, closely followed the advice of H and H flatheads and many others that said "just like camel straights, no filter".
    upload_2018-10-3_10-52-58.png

classiccarjack likes this.
  19. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

Interesting article from Hot Rod Magazine on flatheads bypass vs full flow oil filtering. They state that 10% of the oil goes through the filter and every 5 minutes at 2000 rpm 100% of the oil gets filtered in the engine.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1210sr-oil-filters-for-flatheads/

There is some pretty compelling demonstrations on U-tube about bypass oil filter systems as well. Those systems are using 1 to 5 micron oil filters. Unfortunately finding a low micron oil filter that would fit in the Hildebrant cover is an issue. This brings in the million dollar question. Do you want a period correct look or a more effective oil filter system that looks modern? Or no filtering at all?

Just a few more things to ponder over.

20. banjorear

banjorear

Thank you. Yes, that is the question. Hershey is coming up, so I'm on the hunt for a period looking filter set-up that I can hang on the fire wall. I'm fairly certain it will be a by-pass system of some sort. With the money it is going to cost to build this engine, I'd feel better with some type of filtering.

Bursonaw likes this.
  21. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg TThought about putting one on my flatty was wondering anyone have a diagram or details were the supply and return hard lines go and what fittings and lines I will need to install ? 59ab thank you

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

Here are some pictures that might help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Max Gearhead and Flathead Dave like this.
  23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

25 years ago I carefully cut [2] stock filter housings, set them up with a modern filter inside... used steel lines as they are much smaller... tried to hide the screws that bolted the top down... used a smaller filter... worked well.
    Walt D. told me to plug a stock vent or return somewhere ? [memory]...

24. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Thank you ,that will definetly help

25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

How so?

26. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the forties, very few cars had oil filters as standard equipment. I can't see an aspiring hot rodder back in those days wasting his time chasing down a scarce item he thought he didn't need. I know in the fifties and sixties it would have been the last thing that I would have worried about.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  27. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I did not know this. Informative. Thanks.

28. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like bein' old is good for something.:)

Max Gearhead likes this.
  29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

A person is never old. Only wiser...

30. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

I have one of the Hildebrand remote oil filters that was made by O'Brien Tuckers, mounted on the firewall of my 59A flathead powered 1929 coupe. From what I can see so far, it seems to work just fine. The filter is mounted on the passenger side of the firewall and I have 2 hoses coming from the filter to the brass fittings on the drivers side of the engine block. I see no markings of any kind on the filter housing as to which one is the oil inlet and which one is the return line nor were there any instructions in the oil filter box showing you how to run the oil lines. Is there a right way to plumb in these oil lines to the Hildebrand filter housing or dosen't it really matter as to which one is the inlet and which one is the return line?