Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical School Me on 28/29 A CCPU Cabs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patmanta, Jun 27, 2018.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

There is a wood kit available and possibly a trim kit to.
    From memory stock CCP's had no internal linings.

Both me and my buddy used full sheet metal and painted the roof.
    On a 28/29, this means that you need to make a rear arched piece that sits over the top of your back panel, and edge piece that runs around the perimeter of the cab and over the header so a visor can be attached and then a shaped piece of sheet metal to weld in a fill the main roof area.
    I used a roof piece cut from a 80/90's Ford Taurus or Granada or whatever they are called, its been a while now and my buddy found a late 40's Hudson roof that worked darn good and material was thicker for easier welding.

Sorry no pic's to offer...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Thanks, @fiftyv8

The wood kit I've got and I have it assembled and coated already, so I'm covered as far as the shape of the roof. I just need to re-assemble the cab now.

I was not planning to go metal on the roof, so I'm trying to wrap my head around how to go about putting a waterproof canvas skin on the wood roof frame. I've seen people use chicken wire and it seems like there's some stitching involved... are the original tops just stretched and nailed into the wood?

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

For future reference for others looking for this kind of info on the roof, there's an open directory of roof upholstering here:
    http://abarnyard.com/temp/82-a/